Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 PM

7,888 posts, read 11,408,992 times

Advertisements

Im stumped. I am interested in seeing lightly used luxury sedans coming to auction nearby. I have searched and not found such a list although I am certain I saw one a couple of years ago. Can anyone guide me or advise me how a non dealers can see what is coming to market?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 08:39 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
What auctions? Dealer auctions? I am not surprised you can't find them online.. They won't even let you in.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:15 AM

7,888 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Yes dealer auctions, I know they wont let me in the auction but was pretty sure I had seen a list of vehicles to be auctioned at one. I must be mistaken.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
There are public auctions. they are mostly cars dealerships took in trade and did not want. Better bet is to find regular auction houses that occasionally have cars (look for RJM in Plymouth Michigan for an example). There are lots of places like that. they should not be hard to find, because they spend a lot of money making themselves easier to find. They are usually selling off assets of closed businesses. I bought a truck there for $18,000 that bluebooked at $25,000 - $27,000. However you always take a risk. It was a happy moment when I started the truck up and discovered it moved. (I knew it ran, but they would not allow you to drive it). It has been fine. I have had a number of problems because it is a Dodge, but nothing extraordinary, just more than you might see with another brand and nothing to do with the fact it was at an auction of an our of business company's assets. RJM is pretty careful not to sell junkers without disclosing it because they guard their reputation. You should look for a simlar well regarded auction house. But still everything is sold as-is.

Best bet is often police auctions. They are not advertised much ostensibly because there is no budget for advertising it, but I suspect it may have something to do with keeping attendance/competition/sale prices down so city employees can get bargains.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There are public auctions. they are mostly cars dealerships took in trade and did not want. Better bet is to find regular auction houses that occasionally have cars (look for RJM in Plymouth Michigan for an example). There are lots of places like that. they should not be hard to find, because they spend a lot of money making themselves easier to find. They are usually selling off assets of closed businesses. I bought a truck there for $18,000 that bluebooked at $25,000 - $27,000. However you always take a risk. It was a happy moment when I started the truck up and discovered it moved. (I knew it ran, but they would not allow you to drive it). It has been fine. I have had a number of problems because it is a Dodge, but nothing extraordinary, just more than you might see with another brand and nothing to do with the fact it was at an auction of an our of business company's assets. RJM is pretty careful not to sell junkers without disclosing it because they guard their reputation. You should look for a simlar well regarded auction house. But still everything is sold as-is.

Best bet is often police auctions. They are not advertised much ostensibly because there is no budget for advertising it, but I suspect it may have something to do with keeping attendance/competition/sale prices down so city employees can get bargains.
When i bought my truck for a landscaping business years ago, I asked around for anyone that may know someone who has a dealer license and would be willing to look for the type of the truck i was looking for, at one of their dealer auctions (where you must have a license to bid and buy), these are where you get the great deals!

He eventually found a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 with 50K miles, he paid around $7500 at a dealer auction and sold it to me at cost. I gave him a 'few bucks' for doing this and he was going to the auctions anyway, since i was a friend of a friend, he did me a favor. If I had bought a truck like this at a dealer or private sale, it would have cost me more like $15-18K at the time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive