U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 454 times

Advertisements

I have a 2003 alero with the 3.4 motor, I have replaced both the idler pullies, water pump and pulley, tensioner and had to do a AC bypass and changed the belt twice but still have a chirping/ squealing. When cold it does it but once warm it only does it when I give it throttle. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 AM

14,543 posts, read 9,618,770 times
Almost every car I have owned has done this at some point in its life. It's always at start up and then goes away as you say. I can only attribute it to a sliping belt. How much travel do you see when pressing down on the belt?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:07 AM

26,413 posts, read 62,641,511 times
Wit the car running, spray a little water on t he belt from a small spray bottle. If the squeal changes it is the belt. If it does not change, most likely a pulley or bearing someplace. Not a perfect test, but it is a starting point when you have run out of ideas.

If you have replaced all the pulleys then start checking for bearing in the devises (power steering pump is usually the most likely culprit, but it could be anything on the path of the belt. Some are easy to test, some are almost impossible. Also a mechanics stethoscope can sometimes help find the problem but I have only had luck with that a couple of times and the rest of the times it did not help (possibly because I listened to too much too loud music in my youth and my hearing is not the best).

Too loud music is another solution that works very well btw.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:07 AM

9,449 posts, read 10,178,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Almost every car I have owned has done this at some point in its life.
Same here. Usually my latest car does it when it's rainy outside. It's light enough I let it go.

But if it gets bad enough, I usually start by taking a bar of soap and touching it to the ribbed side of the belt. If the noise stops, I replace the belt. If it doesn't, then I start spraying a quick blast of WD-40 at the various pullies and see if the noise changes.

Sometimes the noise may be things like internal water pump bearings or alternator bearings. You can take a screwdriver, or ideally a stethoscope and try to listen to the various components to identify if the noise if coming from there.

I've also taken a 3' lengh of tubing, stuck one end in my ear, and listen around with the other end to try and pinpoint the noise. It does work as the squeal will be VERY loud when you find it.

Of course, all this assumes you have room int he engine bay to work. Some bays are tight.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:13 AM

26,808 posts, read 5,726,538 times
My car does this....is it something that needs to be repaired or addressed, as I'd have to go to a maintenance shop for any work....?

What happens if I just let it go? It stops after the car warms and driving starts....

Old 11-16-2018, 11:40 AM

11,633 posts, read 8,149,788 times
Do you do your own work? Are the pulleys lined up straight so they are not pulling the belt one way or another?

How about swapping the belt around so the edge that is on the inside is now on the outside.

Are you buying cheap belts? They do sell better quality ones that are designed to reduce squealing.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:54 AM

26,808 posts, read 5,726,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
My car does this....is it something that needs to be repaired or addressed, as I'd have to go to a maintenance shop for any work....?

What happens if I just let it go? It stops after the car warms and driving starts....

will someone please answer my questions...thanks

Old 11-16-2018, 12:08 PM

13,709 posts, read 7,271,001 times
Take it to the dealer. They'll fix you right up.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,569,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

There are greased metal bearings on the alternator, AC compressor, and one or two pulleys that the serpentine (fan) belt uses. All wear out over time. They can't be regreased.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 454 times
I talked to a mechanic he said to first try and put a washer behind the idler pulley because my belt rides rite on the edge and if that don't work then get a gator back belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or