Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:46 PM

24,204 posts, read 16,893,747 times

Advertisements

I had a Ford F150 where the hood started to get spots where the paint was coming off and the dealer ended up repainting the hood but that was in 1993.

Does anyone remember seeing Chevy cars in the 90's where the white paint was literally peeling off the cars roof and hoods?

Cars are painted so much better since those days when your red car would be turning pink after 5 years of being under the hot sun.

$3000 for a paint protection package sounds like a rip off to me.

If the paint is going to peel it is doing so from the inside out and no amount of fancy wax could stop that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 01:23 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,546,606 times
It may in fact void a factory warranty. Certainly, undercoating will. It's not needed anymore, and if not absolutely correctly applied, it will cause pockets were moisture can collect. Toyota will not warranty for sure.

It is solely there for dealer profit. Just like doc fees. They are not required, and I won't pay. Ever.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,863,078 times
Sadly, people still fall for this crap.

In some areas there is a 2nd MSRP sticker for all of this and these dealers will not sell a vehicle without buyer paying for it.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:51 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,660,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Total waste of money. Even if it's $1.
The response to any attempt to sell a paint treatment is, "Oh? The paint on these cars is so crappy I have to pay extra to keep it on? I'll buy another brand, then." - exit, stage right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
In some areas there is a 2nd MSRP sticker for all of this and these dealers will not sell a vehicle without buyer paying for it.
Yes, some areas have dealers that have gotten so arrogant that they pad out every sale with this junk, and consider it their rightful due. You're a cheap, stupid fool for even questioning it.

Walk. Better yet, don't ever go to a dealership for a car. It's not like you have to check it for brown spots and worms.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:00 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,029,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The response to any attempt to sell a paint treatment is, "Oh? The paint on these cars is so crappy I have to pay extra to keep it on? I'll buy another brand, then." - exit, stage right.
This, all day every day. Same with every other warranty and add-on the F&I Guy tries to talk you into.

I knew a guy in a body shop once who called this type of thing "Polyrazzmatazz". Huge profit center, and totally un-needed. Keep the bird poop, bugs and tree sap washed off it, wax it if you're afraid of acid rain, and drive it. The clear coat they're putting on new cars these days (from the factory) is light years ahead of the paint used even twenty years ago.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,162,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Does anyone remember seeing Chevy cars in the 90's where the white paint was literally peeling off the cars roof and hoods?
Blue was a bigger issue. My sister had a Beretta and the paint came off of it.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:39 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,739,305 times
That cost more than the car I've driven for the past 12 years.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:45 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,467,216 times
it's a clear coat thing

but you can do the same aftermarket/car shop for about $100-150 twice a year. At $3000 you could do this for a decade yourself... by that time, the car paint wont matter

Old 11-16-2018, 04:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,660,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it's a clear coat thing
I'm not even sure it qualifies as that - it is not any kind of hard-shell coating. They are all more like a wax/penetrating sealant/Armor All conditioner that can be sprayed on and wiped down without any significant masking or finish work. A top-grade synthetic wax, properly applied, is probably the equivalent.

At $20 a can.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,130,734 times
When I bought my last new car, a 2015 Toyota, they tried to sell me something like that. I figured if I wanted to do it myself, with a name brand polish, it would have cost a couple hundred dollars over the years. "Oh no, this is much better than your (name brand) treatment. And when you trade it in, you'll get most of that back, because we know your paint will be much better." Of course I said no. I also said no to their super-duper fabric protection, their free windshield replacement and a bunch of other stuff.

I did take the life insurance for my loan, because I have trouble getting life insurance, but it was later denied due to my age. (I was 69 at the time, and they told me they couldn't sell it to anyone over age 65, iirc.) They also offered all kinds of extended warranties at that time.

It wasn't even offered by my car salesman. Instead, they had an "expert" that I had to listen to after the deal was made. Everything would be added into my loan, so each item was only a minimal monthly amount. It was mostly bull. I did take an extended warranty for my traction battery, because I figured I'd be trading/selling the car at around 65K-100K and that a new owner would be concerned about high mileage on the expensive Prius battery. I'm still driving the car, now with over 100K miles on it, and I might continue driving it for another 100K miles. (It's been a great, totally trouble-free car!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive