U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:32 PM

1,687 posts, read 725,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
You can stand where, and by, whatever blows your skirt up. Fact is, ethanol laden gas has a very short shelf life, and can cause issues in ANY internal combustion engine, if it is allowed to sit for months. You are not as special as you think, and chemistry doesn't give any special exemptions for you, or anybody else. Untreated fuel can clog everything from float bowls and needles on small engines to injectors and pump screens on modern vehicles. Deciding to not properly care for a vehicle, because you are too stubborn to deal with the facts, is your right. Presenting BS as fact, when discussing the issue on a forum, is not.
It's strange that in the real world few, if any, people have this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

2,416 posts, read 3,068,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
It's strange that in the real world few, if any, people have this issue.
That is because very few people let their cars sit for months on end without starting them up and driving. Corvette owners often put their cars up for the winter. We typically put non-ethanol gas in them prior to parking for the winter. I myself only use 100% gas/no ethanol all the time in the Vette along with all of my small engine equipment. Since I switched to no ethanol, I have not had a single clogged carburetor or deteriorated fuel line. Prior to the switch, all of my small engine equipment would have clogged carburetors almost every spring. Every spring our local small engine repair shops are slammed with work cleaning carbs and changing fuel filters for people that don't know any better.

So I guess, the reason you don't hear as much about people having problems with it in the "real world" anymore is because the majority of us have learned not to leave ethanol fuel in something that is going to sit for months.

Old Today, 11:19 AM

37,078 posts, read 38,619,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Do I need to add a gas stabilizer if I rarely drive my car? It sits for months on end. Highest octane Chevron is the only gas the car has ever seen.

You should use whatever octane is recommend by the manufacturer, higher octane is for higher compression engines typically found in performance cars. It may also be appropriate for older vehicles designed for leaded gas. For short term storage fill the tank completely before storing. It's the ethanol reacting with air that causes the most issues. If you can find non ethanol gas station near you that is best bet.

Old Today, 05:39 PM

846 posts, read 270,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Letting your vehicle sitting for an extended amount of time isn't good. At least start it up andor drive it once a week
Wrong. You shouldn't start it up unless you intend on driving it.

New cars sit on the dealer lot for months at a time without being started, do you think they add stabilizer to the gas? They don't.

I have two cars that sit for up to a month at a time. I've never had a problem.

Old Today, 06:18 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,346,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Do I need to add a gas stabilizer if I rarely drive my car? It sits for months on end. Highest octane Chevron is the only gas the car has ever seen.
I always add a can of Stabilizer in the late Fall when I park my convertible for the winter. Then I drive it a few miles to get the treated fuel throughout the system.

I also add a few ounces of stabilizer to my lawn mower and snow blower gas cans whenever I buy gas for them. Since doing that I never have a problem starting them again months later when the season is appropriate for their use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive