U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 02:46 PM

9,458 posts, read 11,295,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post

Could it be worth owning two vehicles or best to stick with one?
Buy one good car.......forget two junkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 02:48 PM

31,070 posts, read 24,516,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That had to be expensive to insure 10 cars. I have 4 and itís costing a lot. Thatís why Iím selling one. I did buy a commuter as my diesel was too expensive to drive to and from work. Commuter is cheap to maintain cheap to run. It makes perfect sense to have two vehicles. Jus5 check your insurance rates.

not really, since he had the camry as a daily driver, and since the other cars were old enough, he could get classic car insurance on the others, and just get regular insurance on the camry. that saved him a ton of money.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:39 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,804,627 times
Years ago my dad would drive by a gas station garage and point to all the derelict vehicles of various descriptions around the side and back of the lot. That guy, he would say, is NOT a mechanic. But what he WANTS to do is run a junkyard.

When dad opened up his own shop by Sat. a.m. there wasn't an unrepaired car on the place. Obviously if there are two/three vehicles on the lawn than cigarettes, beer, and pot are the priorities for those owners. Be thankful it isn't a refrigerator collection.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:49 PM

9,207 posts, read 16,641,195 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I was feeling pretty good about this idea until reading the following post.

That's one of the things I was concerned about. Although it doesn't make sense since one can only drive one car at a time.

If work was not so far form home, I'd buy two beaters and just get liability coverage.
It's very easy to find out how much extra insurance would cost for a second vehicle. Call your agent. "Second" vehicles get big insurance discounts, especially if they're older, even more so if you don't carry collision and comprehensive on the second one. Insurance for a new car is generally more than for an older one, so the two used cars might not cost a lot more for insurance than one new one.

All that said, unless you need two different kinds of vehicles, I'd be in the one-new-one camp. Newish vehicles don't break down often. I've got 102K miles on my 4-year-old Prius and have never had anything at all go bad, let alone a mechanical breakdown. I had lots of problems with my old (pre-Prius) pickup, but in every case the shop was able to let me use their loaner for the duration.

I HAVE had my Prius in the body shop a couple times for accidents, however. Unfortunately, I didn't buy rental insurance because in the past I've usually had a spare car. Fortunately, for the first accident (with a deer), I was able to use my wife's car while mine was in the shop, although that meant I needed to give her a lift to work and back for a few weeks. The second accident involved being hit from behind while I was legally parked on the side of the street. In that case the other driver's insurance paid for my rental. To be safe, it might be worth it to get rental insurance (is that the term?) if you only own one car. IIRC, it doesn't increase your insurance cost much.

Remember, it's not just insurance that costs you with a second car. There's also license plates and upkeep (on two used ones vs. one new one).

There are pros and cons. I always had at least two vehicles, a car and a pickup. When my wife joined me in 2000 with her own car, I traded my car and my pickup for a new pickup. I'd have rather traded HER car, but... I wanted to stay married.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:08 AM

20,080 posts, read 10,719,634 times
You could consider leasing an economy car for your commute.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:27 AM

2,439 posts, read 1,215,133 times
Quote:
That's one of the things I was concerned about. Although it doesn't make sense since one can only drive one car at a time.

If work was not so far form home, I'd buy two beaters and just get liability coverage.
That's why I suggested that you buy a sports car that's good on gas for your 2nd car.
That car will have merit far beyond just being a boring car to commute in. You're going to want to drive it.

I'd probably just drive the SUV all the time and use the money not spent on the 2nd car to buy gas rather than spend a bunch of money on something lame.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:00 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,287,371 times
Another vote for 2 cars/1 person. It is great peace of mind to have a spare. Just don't forget to drive the SUV to work (or on a fishing trip) every couple of weeks or so to give it a workout and recharge the battery.

3 cars is too many for 1 person in my opinion. BTDT.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:58 AM

531 posts, read 366,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
All that said, unless you need two different kinds of vehicles, I'd be in the one-new-one camp. Newish vehicles don't break down often. I've got 102K miles on my 4-year-old Prius and have never had anything at all go bad, let alone a mechanical breakdown. I had lots of problems with my old (pre-Prius) pickup, but in every case the shop was able to let me use their loaner for the duration.
Yes all I really need is one car. This is what I always thought (and served me well) until my last car, which broke down and left me stranded a couple times. Maybe it was just bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I HAVE had my Prius in the body shop a couple times for accidents, however. Unfortunately, I didn't buy rental insurance because in the past I've usually had a spare car. Fortunately, for the first accident (with a deer), I was able to use my wife's car while mine was in the shop, although that meant I needed to give her a lift to work and back for a few weeks. The second accident involved being hit from behind while I was legally parked on the side of the street. In that case the other driver's insurance paid for my rental. To be safe, it might be worth it to get rental insurance (is that the term?) if you only own one car. IIRC, it doesn't increase your insurance cost much.

Remember, it's not just insurance that costs you with a second car. There's also license plates and upkeep (on two used ones vs. one new one).
Yes unfortunately I did not have rental insurance when I needed it but will be adding the coverage.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You could consider leasing an economy car for your commute.

I've run the numbers before and it didn't seem too cost effective given the number of miles I drive. Of course if I just drive the car so many months per year (and a vehicle I own for so many months) then it could make sense. It is worth looking into I guess.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
That's why I suggested that you buy a sports car that's good on gas for your 2nd car.
That car will have merit far beyond just being a boring car to commute in. You're going to want to drive it.

I'd probably just drive the SUV all the time and use the money not spent on the 2nd car to buy gas rather than spend a bunch of money on something lame.
I mainly see cars as getting me from point A to point B. I'm an oddball that doesn't really get much out of having something fun to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or