U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM

2,772 posts, read 732,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
1. Fake engine noise. Agree. If you’re going to put it in a car then at least give the option to turn it off entirely.
2. Electronic door handles-not no but hell no!
3. Stuck on screens-fine for low end vehicles to keep down production cost but on higher end vehicles, spend a little extra for the quality.
4. Over complicated tech. I want a stereo head unit and a separate HVAC control. I don’t want EVERYTHING controlled by an iPad touch screen!
5. Infotainment. Just drive the freaking vehicle! More gadgets means more distractions!
6. Oversized rims and tires. Cars generally came with three rim sizes; 13, 14, & 15 inch rims. Some sports cars had larger rims and some super cheap economy cars had smaller rims.
7. Piano black plastic and plastic chrome. My car has a piece on the dash with the piano black. Didn’t buy it for this trim piece. Prefer cheap toy plastic colored to match the interior than this stuff. Miss flat black plastic trim and door handles.
8. Turbo everything. Compare the V6 fuel economy to the 2.0L turbo fuel economy of today’s entry level midsize sedans. Not much of a gain. As a well engineered performance option or on higher end vehicles where you’re paying for the engineering, it’s fine.
9. Fake vents and exhaust. This has become more of a design element to break up the monotonous styling of the today’s wind tunnel designed cars. It’s gotten out of control. It’s also become a joke. Local guy has a beat up Dodge Caravan. His front fenders are filled with various types of fake vents. It’s like he bought out the local Autozone just to decorate his van as a joke. If it was a joke, respect. It’s a beat up van so why not. If he was seriously trying to make his van look cool then he’s mentally challenged.
10. Lying advertisements. This isn’t new. It’s wrong, but it’s not new.
Allot of these young people today want a pimp vehicle, look at the shows like west coast customs and the clothing they wear baggy pants, ball caps sitting sideways, tattoos everywhere like a gangbanger. Then the vehicles they customize imo are hideous, they look like a Mexican jumping bean, low rider or the ones that bounce up and down like a bouncy ball. I’m boomer born in the 1950’s and my cool cars are the muscle cars of the 60’s, 70’s, and early 80’s. They didn’t look like a clown mobile like they look now when people try to make a rice burner into a muscle car they look pathetic imo. And as far as new cars being made today it’s all about reducing weight, increasing MPG and reducing cost. It’s always been that way but as you get older like me you just want a vehicle like they use to be because like everything time marches on and things change because automakers are making vehicles to sell to a newer generation because us baby boomers are not what the automakers are trying to appeal to anymore.

Last edited by easy62; Yesterday at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM

8,913 posts, read 7,419,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Allot of these young people today want a pimp vehicle, look at the shows like west coast customs and the clothing they wear baggy pants, ball caps sitting sideways, tattoos everywhere like a gangbanger. Then the vehicles they customize imo are hideous, they look like a Mexican jumping bean, low rider or the ones that bounce up and down like a bouncy ball. Iím boomer born in the 1950ís and my cool cars are the muscle cars of the 60ís, 70ís, and early 80ís. They didnít look like a clown mobile like they look now when people try to make a rice burner into a muscle car they look pathetic imo. And as far as new cars being made today itís all about reducing weight, increasing MPG and reducing cost. Itís always been that way but as you get older like me you just want a vehicle like they use to be because like everything time marches on and things change because automakers are making vehicles to sell to a newer generation because us baby boomers are not the biggest generation anymore.
I want separate units for HVAC & stereo for a very practical reason. WHEN (not if) one breaks I only have to repair or replace that one unit while all other things continue to work. Everything all on one touch screen means that touch screen breaks then nothing else works.

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I want separate units for HVAC & stereo for a very practical reason. WHEN (not if) one breaks I only have to repair or replace that one unit while all other things continue to work. Everything all on one touch screen means that touch screen breaks then nothing else works.
Like the old saying witch in one hand and crap in the other and see witch one fills up the fastest. Automakers are integrating more components into a smaller space thanks to modern electronics were the automakers are getting rid of cables and are useing vacume and electronic little motors to operate the HVAC systems in vehicles itís cheaper and faster in the production process to install one unit with can do everything instead of installing multiple units like they did in the 70ís. Get use to it my friend itís called platform production weíre on thing can be used in multiple vehicles. Like if youíre Kia radio can be used in a Hyundai vehicle because they are one company using the same parts just with their Kia, or Hyundai stamped on them.

Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM

1,694 posts, read 589,699 times
We all got our own opinions but I can guarantee one thing. There will never be a Hyundai or a Kia found parked in my driveway or garage. That is all

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
We all got our own opinions but I can guarantee one thing. There will never be a Hyundai or a Kia found parked in my driveway or garage. That is all

J.D. Power 2018 U.S. Initial Quality Study

Nameplate IQS ranking Problems per 100 vehicles
Genesis 68
Kia 72
Hyundai 74
Porsche 79
Ford 81
Chevrolet 82
Lincoln 83
Lexus 84
Ram 84
Nissan 85
BMW 87
Cadillac 90
Mini 90
Infiniti 92
Mercedes-Benz 92
Industry Average 93
Buick 95
Jeep 96
Toyota 96
Dodge 98
Acura 99
GMC 99
Mazda 100
Honda 102
Volkswagen 103
Audi 105
Chrysler 111
Mitsubishi 111
Subaru 115
Volvo 122
Jaguar 148
Land Rover 160

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

238 posts, read 102,444 times
Quote:

Genesis 68
Kia 72
Hyundai 74
Porsche 79
Ford 81
Chevrolet 82
Lincoln 83
Lexus 84
Ram 84
Nissan 85
BMW 87
Cadillac 90
Mini 90
Infiniti 92
Mercedes-Benz 92
Industry Average 93
Buick 95
Jeep 96
Toyota 96
Dodge 98
Acura 99
GMC 99
Mazda 100
Honda 102
Volkswagen 103
Audi 105
Chrysler 111
Mitsubishi 111
Subaru 115
Volvo 122
Jaguar 148
Land Rover 160
I'm not surprised Volvo, Jag, Land Rover is at the bottom, but it's interesting to note Toyota and Honda are so low.

Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM

13,633 posts, read 29,638,281 times
Quote:

Genesis 68
Kia 72
Hyundai 74
Porsche 79
Ford 81
Chevrolet 82
Lincoln 83
Lexus 84
Ram 84
Nissan 85
BMW 87
Cadillac 90
Mini 90
Infiniti 92
Mercedes-Benz 92
Industry Average 93
Buick 95
Jeep 96
Toyota 96
Dodge 98
Acura 99
GMC 99
Mazda 100
Honda 102
Volkswagen 103
Audi 105
Chrysler 111
Mitsubishi 111
Subaru 115
Volvo 122
Jaguar 148
Land Rover 160
Initial quality doesnít mean squat. Iíd rather look at long term reliability surveys from CR.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

88 posts, read 18,375 times
I don't see the problem with modern turbos. They are more reliable than in the past(except for Chevy), increase efficiency and acceleration. The V style engines have more moving parts and are more likely to have an issue than a smaller 4 cylinder inline turbo. The 4 cylinders are more noisy and vibrate more, but are superior in many ways. If your looking for a high horsepower engine a V6 or V8 will provide that. For a nice blend of hp, fuel efficiency, a 4 cylinder will provide that. You also have to consider direct injection vs. port injection. And get a car based on your driving style. Direct injection is prone to carbon build up on the injectors. Toyota has dual injection to reduce carbon build up. Honda mainly is DI in their upper trims, but you can still get port injection NA on lower trims like the new Civic LX and Civic Sport. The new Insight hybrid is port injection non turbo. Filling up with top tier fuel reduces carbon build up too. If you do a lot of short trips, a hybrid or EV might be a better fit.

The touchscreens are great if done correctly. On my car I have to go into the screen to adjust fan speed, and I hate that. If the screen stops working someday, climate control will be hard to use.

Chrome looks good on black cars in my opinion, it contrasts well. Other colors...not so much.

Not a fan of the 19" wheels on some cars. Roads are not smooth enough where I live. You hit a bad pothole with those low profile tires and you're screwed. A wheel is not cheap to replace. I would never go larger than 17" wheels. Larger wheels mean less MPG too...

Last edited by Matthew_MI; Yesterday at 11:46 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
I'm not surprised Volvo, Jag, Land Rover is at the bottom, but it's interesting to note Toyota and Honda are so low.
And look at Dodge one below Toyota i know people are going to say this is wrong because they know better than JD Powers because they have a Toyota and will never say anything bad about them.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

88 posts, read 18,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
Those rankings don't differentiate between small electrical problems and major mechanical problems. Toyota is reliable and the worlds largest automaker. Toyota refuses to go turbo like everyone else, they strive to be reliable. Honda isn't bad, somewhere in between Toyota and domestic automakers. I've owned 4 GM cars and they may initially be reliable, but overall they are junk(except for some Buicks and their more expensive cars). The Cruze, Cobalt, Caviler, Sunfire, Malibu, etc. are unreliable. Look at the number of recalls Chevy does, it's crazy. I spent so much time at a dealer for my Cruze. Currently own a Honda Civic, and it's not perfect but a heck of an improvement.

Last edited by Matthew_MI; Yesterday at 12:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive