Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 06:03 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times

Advertisements

I agree with most of what he said
1) Fake engine noise - Disconnected this nonsense of day 2 of ownership of my 2018 BMW
2) Electronic door handles - my friend's 2017 Vette has these. Very annoying and don't make opening the door any easier. Just needless complication
3) Stuck on screens. The screen on my BMW looks like an afterthought, but the ones on my old Taurus (2014) and 2018 Silverado are nicely integrated into the dash.

4) Over complicated tech. My BMW is filled with this. Just putting the thing in Park is non-intuitive
5) Infotainment. I've seen good (My BMW is OK) and really bad (my old 2011 Cadillac CTS-V). Honestly, I haven't seen any significant improvement over my brother's 2005 Sienna.
6) Oversize wheels/tires. A pet peeve of mine. I ditched the 20" OEM wheels on my BMW within the first month. Going to aftermarket 19s yielded 5lbs per corner reduction in unsprung weight and better tire choices. Ride and grip are drastically improved. Heavy wheels are the enemy of ride, handling, braking, and acceleration. Not sure what the obsession with them is.
7) Piano black/plastic chrome. I personally like piano black interior trim when used with restraint. No use for plastic chrome.
8) Turbo everything. I love turbos. Modern turbos are so good that turbo lag is unnoticeable. Properly sized turbos yield huge amounts of low-end torque, and many turbo cars a very detuned from the factory, meaning massive power gains for little money. 3 of my 4 current vehicles are turbo charged and I'm thinking after adding a supercharger to my Silverado.
9) Fake vents/exhaust types - hate them
10) Advertising - Auto advertising has always been more about hyperbole than fact. Anyone who selects a vehicle based on advertising is a moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I think some of today's chrome attempts are horrible, yes.

Chrome has gotten completely out of hand, especially on pickups. I specified the Z71 package on my Silverado mainly to get a body color grill and bumpers.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:06 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Boomcars..............and a close second, vehicles modded to make them as loud and annoying as possible.
IMO the loudness that you describe needs some elaboration. If you take a Civic or another import 4 cylinder and throw a fart cannon on it then I agree.

If you’re talking about a Mustang 5.0 GT or another v8 muscle or a high revving v6/I6 then I would disagree.

It doesn’t have to be domestic to sound sexy a German or Korean auto can be just as good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3s9J7dImyD0

Old 11-18-2018, 06:17 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
is this about cars or trucks or all motor vehicles?

if ONLY cars:
1. head rests. they angle too far forward. yes, it is a safety thing, but, we like to sit straight up.
2. key fob replacement. programming costs $400 at the dealer. aftermarket is less expensive, but too high, too.
3. since we are on keys...NO key doors. we will never buy a no-key car.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:07 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Boomcars..............and a close second, vehicles modded to make them as loud and annoying as possible.

That's not manufacturers. He is talking about car makers. What people do is irrelevant to this thread...

Old 11-18-2018, 07:15 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
I think, Tesla started the door handle trend...

He missed USELESS LED accents all over everywhere. From maybe not that bad looking to complete moronic ones, like that bracket like one on new pick up trucks. Not sure, Ford or Chevy. Tasteless quick slap on job. Just because everyone has them. Or new Porsche with those 4 tiny LED corner lights square. Looks borrowed from Nissan Versa and slapped onto 120K car.
Anyway. You saw them...

Old 11-18-2018, 07:25 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Some new car grills look like homemade with Home Depot screen wire.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:58 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Not-flat tires where there is no spare.

How about a set of regular tires, but no spare? All you get is a cheap tire inflator

Old 11-18-2018, 10:43 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
IMO the loudness that you describe needs some elaboration. If you take a Civic or another import 4 cylinder and throw a fart cannon on it then I agree.

If you’re talking about a Mustang 5.0 GT or another v8 muscle or a high revving v6/I6 then I would disagree.

It doesn’t have to be domestic to sound sexy a German or Korean auto can be just as good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3s9J7dImyD0
Those little imports with fart cans are just the cars available to todays young car enthusiasts, kind of like back in the 80s, when we were younger, we all had older cars, because thats all we could afford, and of course they are going to 'mod' what they can afford to own.

No 16-18 yr old today could afford to buy a 70s muscle car and soup it up, instead they can afford imports from the 90s.

I dont like the 'fart can' sound from these import tuners, but I remind myself, they are just the modern day car guys, same as car guys when I was younger, these are just the types of cars available to them to mod/ work on.

I do like the oversized tire wheel trend though, I think it looks great on just about any car.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:31 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
1. Fake engine noise. Agree. If you’re going to put it in a car then at least give the option to turn it off entirely.
2. Electronic door handles-not no but hell no!
3. Stuck on screens-fine for low end vehicles to keep down production cost but on higher end vehicles, spend a little extra for the quality.
4. Over complicated tech. I want a stereo head unit and a separate HVAC control. I don’t want EVERYTHING controlled by an iPad touch screen!
5. Infotainment. Just drive the freaking vehicle! More gadgets means more distractions!
6. Oversized rims and tires. Cars generally came with three rim sizes; 13, 14, & 15 inch rims. Some sports cars had larger rims and some super cheap economy cars had smaller rims.
7. Piano black plastic and plastic chrome. My car has a piece on the dash with the piano black. Didn’t buy it for this trim piece. Prefer cheap toy plastic colored to match the interior than this stuff. Miss flat black plastic trim and door handles.
8. Turbo everything. Compare the V6 fuel economy to the 2.0L turbo fuel economy of today’s entry level midsize sedans. Not much of a gain. As a well engineered performance option or on higher end vehicles where you’re paying for the engineering, it’s fine.
9. Fake vents and exhaust. This has become more of a design element to break up the monotonous styling of the today’s wind tunnel designed cars. It’s gotten out of control. It’s also become a joke. Local guy has a beat up Dodge Caravan. His front fenders are filled with various types of fake vents. It’s like he bought out the local Autozone just to decorate his van as a joke. If it was a joke, respect. It’s a beat up van so why not. If he was seriously trying to make his van look cool then he’s mentally challenged.
10. Lying advertisements. This isn’t new. It’s wrong, but it’s not new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive