Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:52 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

I am missing something.
OP is not buying a vehicle in state B he will be moving to. He is buying vehicle in state A. THERE he is paying sales tax. Car is sold. Done. Dealer then should send LPs to buyer to his new address. In the meantime, buyer is using a temporary, usually 1 month, paper tag.

When buyer is registering vehicle in state B, he is not registering a purchase, he is registering an already sold and taxed vehicle. He should pay registration fee only, no tax. Never heard of same purchase being sales taxed twice.

Otherwise, OP. Why don't you rent a car for your move and then buy new one in state B?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 02:16 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am missing something.
OP is not buying a vehicle in state B he will be moving to. He is buying vehicle in state A. THERE he is paying sales tax. Car is sold. Done.
It's not that simple. If you live in State B and go over to State A to buy a car (something that's quite common), the deal will be done according to State B's terms, taxes etc. (For the most part; any rules or fees covering sales in State A will still apply. But not registration, emission tests, taxes etc.)

The OP's situation is a little more complicated but the destination state is still the final authority. If he does all his homework with respect to the destination state, it can be done more smoothly and with less cross-filing and duplication and applying for refunds etc.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:20 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
I am missing something.
OP is not buying a vehicle in state B he will be moving to. He is buying vehicle in state A. THERE he is paying sales tax. Car is sold. Done. Dealer then should send LPs to buyer to his new address. In the meantime, buyer is using a temporary, usually 1 month, paper tag.

When buyer is registering vehicle in state B, he is not registering a purchase, he is registering an already sold and taxed vehicle. He should pay registration fee only, no tax. Never heard of same purchase being sales taxed twice.

Otherwise, OP. Why don't you rent a car for your move and then buy new one in state B?
Some states will tax you on a car that you bring into the state but have owned less than 90 days(or some other amount). Like here in WA. Though they'll give you a credit for taxes paid to the original state.

https://dor.wa.gov/get-form-or-publi...gton-out-state
Quote:
Moving to Washington new residents
If you purchased a "private motor vehicle" in another state more than 90 days before moving here, you do not owe Washington's use tax. RCW 82.12.0251(3).

If you purchased a personal vehicle in another state within 90 days of moving here, you owe use tax when you register and license it.
Note: If you paid sales tax and used the vehicle in another state, you may apply that tax against the Washington use tax you owe.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:41 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Thanks, man
That is exactly what I'd like to accomplish. Even a 10 day in transit paper plate would work.
the process where an AZ resident purchased a vehicle out of state and then had to pay the taxes/fees in their residence state does not apply to your situation.

You cannot establish out of state residency "after the fact" to avoid the CA resident sales tax and licensing fees. When you purchase your new vehicle in CA, you'll be giving the dealership your residency information. At a minimum, you'll need to present your driver's license as proof of your information. If it's a CA license, you're paying CA sales taxes.

My bet is that CA authorities and dealers will be on the alert for any attempts to defraud CA out of their taxes, given that there will no doubt be a huge demand for replacement vehicles now. Bear in mind that at the instant you've got a sales contract, it's a taxable event and CA … like other taxing authorities … regards the money owed as "their money". It's unlikely that a dealership will want to risk their business license over your legitimately owed taxes.

as well, buying a vehicle from a private party may get some scrutiny at other states DMV's. IOW, if your bill of sale and title sign off says you bought on a certain date, another state may balk at your processing the ownership in their jurisdiction with a license issued after that date. The question of "which state you were a resident in at the time of purchase" can come into play. Some states now require that the paperwork for your purchase, or at least the title sign off … be notarized. Buy today, move tomorrow … and your dates may catch up with you. Take care.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:02 PM

9,881 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This depends on the state. My car was bought in Massachusetts and registered in Vermont. I activated the insurance and drove it 150 miles with Massachusetts dealer plates. I was trading two cars and the runner riding shotgun with me put the dealer plates on my 2nd car and drove away. I attached the plates and drove my new car illegally to register it the next morning. All I had was the usual bill of sale and certificate of origin. I think paid sales tax on the MSRP less the two trades since they both had already paid Vermont sales tax. I didn’t pay Massachusetts sales tax.

The previous one was purchased in New Hampshire and registered in Vermont. The NH dealer gave me a paper temporary plate.

I’ve also bought cars in Massachusetts and registered them in New Hampshire a few times. I didn’t have to pay Massachusetts sales tax.
Massachusetts law states that if the vehicle is delivered in MA, then MA tax is due. If the dealer doesn't follow the law, then they put themselves in danger of paying the sales tax should they be audited by the state: https://www.mass.gov/guides/guide-to...-massachusetts

As I noted, dealers in MA are supposed to keep the following notarized form on hand for every car they "deliver" out of state: http://www.massagent.com/rpmlinks/dealerdelivery.pdf

Old 11-19-2018, 05:34 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
It's worth pointing out that there are 50!2 or 50x49 or 2,450 combinations of state-to-state DMV issues, not counting territories.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:30 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
I could spend $ 5-6 K on a U haul truck and tow our smaller car behind it. But I'd rather spend this on a new truck with 4 wheel drive -- it would be more reliable and more comfortable, easier to drive, and could tow the small car equally well.
I hate to give California 9.1 percent on a 40K vehicle when we are moving out 3 days later, never to return.
I would rather give this money to the Arkansas DMV and avoid a great deal of paperwork and spending even more money.
I'll drive over tomorrow the the Red Bluff DMV to see what can they say about this. Thanks everyone for the advice given. If I learn something I will update.

Last edited by mgforshort; 11-19-2018 at 08:49 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
I moved from CA to WA in 2010. Because I had already paid sales tax on the car when I purchased it in CA, I didn't owe any sales tax here. The only time WA charges sales tax to register an out-of-state car is if the state of origin has no sales tax, like OR. So, we can't buy cars in Portland, pay no sales tax, and register them in WA without sales tax due.

See how the state you're moving to handles it. They aren't all the same.

My 92-year-old aunt and her daughter lost 3 houses in the Paradise fire, so I'm sorry to hear you were affected. The third house was one my aunt had purchased for the other daughter who had serious health issues and needed full-time live-in care. That daughter died in August but they hadn't gotten her house on the market yet. Been a bad year for the poor woman.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
I am missing something.

Not that simple. In some states if you buy out of state and bring into that state (say California) within a certain amount of time you may owe use tax. Or some use tax as you may of pad some tax in the state you bought.
The reason this is done is so a resident of that state doesn’t go to a different state where tax may be less or nonexistent and buy a car and bring back.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:19 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Veterans returning from overseas have been doing this for at least 50 years. The Arkansas dealer can have the California dealer do a custody transfer to the Arkansas Dealer. You pick up the truck in California and put Arkansas paper plates on the vehicle. (Put clear packaging tape on the face of the paper plate because you may actually get to drive in rain.) On a long haul, you will be better off to rent a trailer for your compact car. The benefits are no wear on your car's drive train and you can back up with a trailer. You can't back up with a tag-along. Many people find that out the hard way at night. Ooops; I just crunched my car.

Blessings on your family that you made it out of the fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive