U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,150,429 times

Advertisements

What is the make and model and year?
Are you getting the same sound to the front as the back speakers, but the front is very low volume, or is the front just noise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 07:33 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,386,546 times
It is very low, tinny volume rather than static. I fiddled around with it last night and the right front speaker seems to be working part of the time, but not all of the time. The left front speaker is not working still. The rear speakers seem to work okay. 2007 Buick Lucerne. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:52 AM

1,700 posts, read 2,046,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
What is the make and model and year?
WHY OH WHY do people ask for automotive advice without providing this? Very discouraging for those who would like to help -- seems almost universal forum practice. I would happily look up a wiring diagram and look for factory technical service bulletins, but not easy when I don't know what type of vehicle.

Don

Old 11-22-2018, 01:35 PM

3,486 posts, read 2,873,868 times
LOL.

Was going to say, "replace it", but resale on those cars, per a sampling on Car Gurus, it about five grand. In other words, one step from worthless. If it runs, run it into the ground in the second hundred thousand miles to maximize thrift.

eBay has head units used for maybe $150. That's a gamble, though, if the speakers are wasted.

Personally, I actually would replace it and have four Focals and an amp put in, too, around a Pioneer or Kenwood deck. No way out of that for less than a grand or with labor from Car Toys.

Alternative is for someone handy, with a few tools, who can read instructions to isolate parts of the system and determine the actual problem, then take action (or not). I'm usually not that handy anymore, since I don't need to be, but depends on where you are in life.

Earlier this year I dumped four grand into upgrading the stereo on my ten year old X-Runner (Tacoma), and that doesn't include an amp upgrade and perhaps another sub. Second time through, also, since tech goes obsolete past eight years. That's (arguably) worth it, for a vehicle that looks like it might just run unto Judgment Day. How is that Buick treating you in-particular?

Old 11-22-2018, 07:24 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,150,429 times
Did you have a windshield replaced recently? This happened to me back in the 1980s, cracked windshield was replaced, after a while my factory radio started acting up. Come to find out they did a poor job applying the sealant at a few places, water would seep in, find its way into the radio and cause audio problems. I bought some black goop and fixed it myself - no more radio issues.

The only way to isolate the problem is to pull the radio and run some tests.
Or you could just get one from ebay, this one is $37 free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/p/07-Buick-Luce...6790058&chn=ps
If it works problem solved. If not you know its the speakers.

Old Today, 08:36 AM

1,190 posts, read 326,103 times
The only way both front speakers would go like that is if there is a separate amplifier for them and the fuse blew, or something is wrong with the power wire going to that amp.

Its also possible that the two wires for the front speakers are rubbing on something and were cut somewhere after the harness in the dashboard. They wouldnt spark up or anything, just cut out.

Also, do you know if your battery is getting a full charge?

I also saw on another Buick forum that someone had to disconnect their battery for 4 hours for a radio and remote start to reset.

Old Today, 12:34 PM

4,830 posts, read 4,933,448 times
Start with a used radio.
From salvage yard or auction site.
Most are easy to swap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or