U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:52 AM

12,943 posts, read 10,882,236 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I think there should be a National News clip...or magazine cover...

"What's up with the auto industry offering mostly cars the color of the road?
The invisible car mystery no one is talking about..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:56 AM

12,943 posts, read 10,882,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Last extended trip I was on involved a lot of heavy rain and it was
disturbing to see how many drivers didn't turn on their lights.
I know, right?
They actually think we can see them!!

And no, regretfully, not all cars automatically have lights that come on....even in years to come there
will still be older, low mileage, fine cars on the road.
Education is where it's at, imo.

Old Today, 08:13 AM

3,336 posts, read 5,357,113 times
Ironically when driving west while the sun is setting people don't seem to notice my red 4Runner which is in no way small or inconspicuous. I've learned just to assume I'm basically invisible at that time of day and that anyone who can pull into my path is likely to do so.

Years on motorcycles makes this second nature but I can at least better understand how a motorcycle could be easily overlooked in a quick scan for traffic.

This has never been an ongoing issue in any other car or truck I've owned but this is the first red with any metallic quality to it.

Far too many drivers just really don't seem to be paying anywhere near the amount of attention to what is going on around them these days. Low visibility situations require additional care...This should go without saying.

Old Today, 11:59 AM

1,221 posts, read 706,055 times
I really wish people would drive with their lights on especially in the grey days of this time of year in the Pacific Northwest. On some highways, iirc, in Oregon, there were stretches of highway that required lights on. I believe they were called Safety Corridors. Some people evidently thought those rules were for other people. When we travel, it is in a big truck with full replacement bumper in case we hit a deer or elk. We truly do not want to hit someone in a smaller car that blends in without their lights on. Today’s cars have LED lights which last a long time. And, a warning buzzer will let you know if they are left on. Please drive safely.

Old Today, 03:06 PM

2,357 posts, read 4,441,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I really wish people would drive with their lights on especially in the grey days of this time of year in the Pacific Northwest.
It just happened to me this morning! It's misty and foggy here in western WA, and I almost started to pull out of a parking lot when an asphalt-colored SUV was barreling toward me - no lights. My little Subaru always runs automatically with daytime running lights. Plus, it's cherry red. I feel safer in it because I know people can, or should be able to, see me.

Old Today, 03:20 PM

660 posts, read 697,231 times
As an owner of a silver car who has had a number of “Did You NOT See Me?!?” moments, I find this notion to be valid.

Old Today, 04:05 PM

1,221 posts, read 706,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
It just happened to me this morning! It's misty and foggy here in western WA, and I almost started to pull out of a parking lot when an asphalt-colored SUV was barreling toward me - no lights. My little Subaru always runs automatically with daytime running lights. Plus, it's cherry red. I feel safer in it because I know people can, or should be able to, see me.
I am so glad you are safe. Yes, it pays to be extra vigilant. We have to be extra careful because some people aren’t. Cheery cherry red. Love it.

Old Today, 04:08 PM
Status: "You shout and no one seems to hear" (set 4 days ago)

3,847 posts, read 5,130,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Aren't "Auto-lights" a feature on most every car? I own a Black vehicle but my running lights are on at all times and my headlights come on automatically when it is dark enough or starts raining.

Last extended trip I was on involved a lot of heavy rain and it was disturbing to see how many drivers didn't turn on their lights.
I started a thread on this forum a few years back regarding this very subject. I asked in earnest why folks don't use their headlights in the fog. I got no real logical answer. Glad it was brought up again.

Old Today, 07:03 PM

1,211 posts, read 4,111,509 times
Probably the same reason so few people use turn signals....because they'd have to put their cell phone down to turn them on...

I also see people all the time driving around after dark with no headlights on (this on city streets with streetlights). I'm pretty sure it's because most (or maybe all) cars how have the dash lights on all the time. On older cars it would be pretty obvious if your lights weren't on after dark since the dash would be dark. Now that's not the case.

Old Today, 07:21 PM

7,305 posts, read 2,288,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
This might sound like an odd question, but has anyone else ever momentarily not noticed a moving grey car on a grey day for even a split second? This just happened to me about an hour ago, causing me to almost turn out directly in front of it, and after the near-miss had occurred, I had an epiphany of sorts...a two-pronged epiphany: 1.) This was not the first time this had happened to me, as a driver, and 2.) Given that *I myself* drive a grey car and have had a few seemingly inexplicable near-misses where I'd have been at no fault whatsoever (in other words, where drivers cut out in front of me as if my car wasn't even there), I wonder if my Corolla's color was at all a factor in any of those events. Many years ago I read about 'inattentional blindness' being a factor in some motorcycle crashes--people aren't accustomed to looking out for bikes; ergo, they sometimes fail to notice them, with potentially tragic consequences. I wonder if grey cars pose an ever-so-slightly elevated safety threat, especially in regions like mine that are prone to many camouflage-providing grey days. So yeah, has anyone else out in City-Data land ever thought of this possibility or experienced a close call due to a briefly unnoticed grey car?

(One difference between my car and the one I failed to see today was that mine has daytime running lights whereas this one did not...not to mention that this other driver should've had their lights on anyway given the relative darkness....)
Green cars in Western Oregon also slip dangerously into the background. My dad had bought a low-profile Chevy that was as green as grass. After he was unable to continue driving, I started using it. But after having several cars pull out right in front of me and narrowly avoiding collisions, I figured out what was happening and sold it. It was low-mileage and priced cheaply and the young couple who bought it, was very happy with it. When I pointed out the possible danger of the color, they looked at me with puzzled expressions. I hope they didn't learn the hard way about that.

There should be a law against certain colors of vehicles that blend into the prevailing backgrounds. Yellow is the most noticeable color in both day and nighttime and in fog. But yellow cars and bicycles are much more likely to be stolen, I suppose simply because people notice them more readily.

Now this takes me into a different, but related topic. It's the too-frequent occurrence of drivers who don't turn on their lights at night, when travelling on well-lighted main streets. Some of them have only parking lights turned on and some run completely dark. Not only are they a serious danger to drivers who may pull out in front of them, but they are a big hazard to pedestrians crossing streets. Not only will they not see them coming, but without lights, the drivers won't spot the pedestrians either. With all the other modern features cars have, why aren't they equipped with automatic sensors that block operation after dark, unless the lights are on? Or at least have a flashing display on the dashboard and a buzzer to give warning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive