U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 11:07 AM

531 posts, read 365,721 times

Advertisements

This is the car that I am looking at:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5954/overview/

Seems like an awfully low price compared to the others that I have seen with the same model year and similar # of miles. I've been seeing most in the 14-15k range.

Would the car having three owners knock the price down this much? If not, there has to be some kind of a catch, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 11:16 AM

8,931 posts, read 7,438,506 times
Depends on the vehicle and type of previous owners. Was the first owner a rental company or fleet (government or private company) vehicle? Was the second owner a small time used car dealer? Was the third owner one who missed payments and had the car repossessed? Look up recall notices and common complaints for the vehicle you wish to purchase. Look up things like service bulletins issued from the maker to their dealer franchises. These are all sources of information car buyers once had absolutely no access to not long ago. An informed buyer stands a better chance today of buying a decent used vehicle than in the past.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:40 PM

4,822 posts, read 4,925,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
This is the car that I am looking at:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5954/overview/

Seems like an awfully low price compared to the others that I have seen with the same model year and similar # of miles. I've been seeing most in the 14-15k range.

Would the car having three owners knock the price down this much? If not, there has to be some kind of a catch, eh?
Ohio is an odd state as far as titles go. May have been a two owner car.

Go take a look at it and if all checks out buy it.

As with all used cars - go to an independent shop and have it checked out. Never buy sight unseen.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:09 PM

1,836 posts, read 894,305 times
I think it's a two owner car based on what I am seeing on the dealers car check report (first owner 15K and second owner 40K). My biggest issue (because I live in the south) is the fact that it had been a NY vehicle and then an OH vehicle. Lots of salt in the winters. It's almost 5 years old at this point, which also may account for the lower price.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:48 PM

8,885 posts, read 15,758,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Ohio is an odd state as far as titles go. May have been a two owner car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I think it's a two owner car based on what I am seeing on the dealers car check report
I agree, for all intents and purposes. If it was a lease, the first owner would have been the leasing company. It's possible that the original driver/lessor bought the car when the lease was up because the payoff was less than market value and sold it fairly quickly for a profit.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:45 PM

11,179 posts, read 11,594,115 times
My question would be where were the owners? A short term owner means it may have been in a flood, got cosmetic repairs, and flipped. That would not show up as warranty work, and if it got shoved through a lease auction there may have been another owner who was never recorded on the title.

I would also make sure the engine and chassis VINs match. CarFax is a great resource, but they only tell people what they know. If it was never reported to CarFax, common with small shops, it would never show up in their records. Pay the freight to have a good shop go through it and check for hidden problems. If the interior is not factory original, even if it's in great shape, that's a big red light right there. What do the underside of the seats look like? What does the inside of the doors look like?

We have had multiple hurricanes and floods lately. If it was registered anywhere in the South, a flood problem becomes pretty likely. Carolinas, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Louisiana on the title should be blinking like hazard lights.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:09 PM

755 posts, read 194,175 times
Did you inquire about adding a warranty? you don't strike me as a serious buyer.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 PM

3,281 posts, read 1,143,476 times
OP: Your question itself indicates a red flag.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:33 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,283,118 times
If I were a buyer, seeing even two owners in five years, meaning I'd be the third, I'd never ever pursue that deal.

Could be many innocent explanations, but in my opinion, a more likely event is that the car has a flaw that previous owners experienced and wanted to get rid of. I'd not even look twice at a 5 year old car with two or more owners unless I personally knew the situation and it had nothing to do with the car itself.

I recently purchased a one year old car with 9,000 miles on it. Wondering myself why someone would purchase a car and trade it in so soon, and worrying about there being a major defect to cause them to do so, I asked about the situation. The dealer told me it was a couple who purchased the car brand new, and 11 months later she gave birth to their first child. Trouble is a rear facing car seat wouldn't comfortably fit in the back seat without the front seat back being straight upright....very uncomfortable for the person in the front seat.

As luck would have it, we had our grand daughters car seat in the back seat of my wife's Trailblazer. We pulled it out, and found out that it was indeed exactly the situation the dealer described.

So....I bought the car and it was great deal for me. The previous owner took all that new car depreciation right off my bottom line. I ended up with essentially a brand new car for 63% of the price of a brand new car.

Old Today, 01:05 PM

1,653 posts, read 382,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
I've been looking at a five year old car that is priced very reasonably. It's so low that I think there must be a catch.

I checked the CarFax and the only possible red flag I could see is that there were three owners. The first was a personal lease and it was driven about 35k miles. The next owner only drove it a thousand miles. The next owner drove another 15k.
Not if it's a BMW. Or a Land Rover.

After pulling many, MANY CARFAX reports when in the market for a vehicle, it was been common for these two brands.

Why?

BMW: Brakes by 17k, rotors by 30k, several electronic part replacements before the 3 year lease is up. (Trending that individual parts go bad and have a short lifespan)

Land Rover: Several battery replacements by 50k, Very, very high frequency of accidents (could be the drivers, a self-selecting group), many dealer visits that don't specify fluid changes or part replacements. (Trending that the entire vehicle is an electronic nightmare and in general has issues not only with individual feature electronic components like BMW but also issues affecting the battery longevity / charging system itself.

Unless you're an expert in these vehicles or an enthusiast, don't buy one unless you can afford two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or