U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 06:18 PM

2,042 posts, read 1,894,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The surveys have run out of real problems and have moved on to nitpicking infotainment systems in an effort to stay relevant.

The other thing they do is "rank" vehicles based on tiny fractions of a defect.
The reality is that everyone except for a few outliers fall within a narrow range.
Miniscule differences is why you see these big moves up and down the rankings from year to year.
It doesn't take much to make a move in either direction.
They have to make their money somehow it is interesting as reliability is far from top of things they are concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 06:52 PM

9,208 posts, read 16,648,077 times
Better safety, better dependability, better efficiency and better handling, in that order.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:38 PM

8,936 posts, read 7,450,011 times
Season 14 of Canadaís Worst Driver has proven that a reverse camera does not ensure a bad driver can reverse. I love my reverse camera but I donít rely on it alone. Iím glad for the reverse camera because the rear deck of modern cars is far too high to get good rear visibility just turning around to look out the back window.

I appreciate my car starting on the first try every morning. Some of us remember when starting on first crank was a reason for a small celebration. I appreciate that todayís factory stereo sound pretty decent compared to decades past when sometimes a nightstand clock radio was about the same quality of sound.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:08 PM

2,870 posts, read 755,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Season 14 of Canada’s Worst Driver has proven that a reverse camera does not ensure a bad driver can reverse. I love my reverse camera but I don’t rely on it alone. I’m glad for the reverse camera because the rear deck of modern cars is far too high to get good rear visibility just turning around to look out the back window.

I appreciate my car starting on the first try every morning. Some of us remember when starting on first crank was a reason for a small celebration. I appreciate that today’s factory stereo sound pretty decent compared to decades past when sometimes a nightstand clock radio was about the same quality of sound.
Yep am radio with a speaker in the center on top of the front dash. No ac and crank windows but i do miss the vent windows.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:35 PM

3,488 posts, read 2,877,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I still prefer a solid manual tranny over an automatic (well because I’m a man) any day but autos are crazy for performance.
This actually reminded me: PDK, or other modern dual-clutch paddle shift. This is a real-recent trend, and mostly in the higher-end sports cars. I "think" most serious motojournalists will say Porsche's Doppelkupplung (PDK dual clutch) is the best in the business, others Ferrari. I haven't driven Audi's updated version that came out couple years ago. All are a massive improvement over single clutch, including how Lamborghini and Jaguar implemented (and most others). Porsche's own Tiptronic did not wind my watch, when it came out not that many years ago, and many enthusiasts just rolled their eyes and said, "Try again!" I sure did.

Trying to puzzle out if these...dual clutch in-particular... will ever be ubiquitous as a "possible" option, much less low-cost, and guessing: not so much. They are light-years ahead of manual transmissions. On a track, when I'm clutching and pumping for gears on a manual, PDK has me where I want in the rev range pretty fast.

THAT SAID, literally every car I've owned with one exception since age 16 has been manual. I am a convert. I now own one of each, on my two favorite cars ever which are thankfully in my garage. A manual is hugely more engaging and soulful than PDK on just about ANY car. On my X-Runner it's just cool. Sports cars, on the street, there you go because nothing is as easy to control the car, as a man wants to to.

But PDK gets way better mileage, is setup in a such a way that you can be auto or manual with a click flick of the wrist on the center stick, to worry or not about any of it as the moment decides. Various buttons put PDK and rest of the car in the 'mode' you might want. Only three choices, but heck that's pretty interesting too as the car goes from docile kitty-cat to track-only redlining soulful beast in Sport-Plus mode...I often drive around town in the intermediate 'Sport' mode as that's how I tended to roll anyway, behavior-wise, in my former 911 Turbo (manual).

...we live in good times.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:51 AM

5,165 posts, read 3,651,218 times
SAFETY. My 2011 Honda Accord is tremendously safer than even my grandma's old 1994 Lincoln Town Car... and that thing was a land yacht with great crash test ratings for 1994, dual air bags and ABS. The Accord has side and side curtain airbags, a much stronger safety cage, great crash test ratings for 2011, stability control, and front and rear head restraints that are actually tall enough to prevent whiplash. Also the front airbags are actually properly designed, in the Town Car (and most other pre 1998 cars) they were overpowered.

FWIW, the Town Car was hit by a big SUV at about 15 mph in the front quarter panel on January 29, 2015 and no one was hurt. Car was a total loss, it was 21 years old and not worth much, but someone else bought it and fixed it up.

Efficiency. That same Accord gets 26 mpg, with a 271 hp V6 and a 3,593 lb curb weight. The Town Car got about 18 mpg, had a 210 hp V8. That's a heck of a lot of progress in 17 years.

Features. My Accord has heated seats, GPS navigation, and dual zone climate control, all things that the Town Car didn't have. It's also just as comfortable as that old Town Car, and was half the price new (adjusted for inflation).

Reliability. My Accord has over 128,000 miles and the climate control system makes an odd rattle. That's it. The Town Car had, I believe, about 120,000 when it was totaled and was dead-nuts reliable; however, my teacher's 1997 Dodge Caravan bought the farm at 100k in 2003.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:03 AM

2,870 posts, read 755,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
SAFETY. My 2011 Honda Accord is tremendously safer than even my grandma's old 1994 Lincoln Town Car... and that thing was a land yacht with great crash test ratings for 1994, dual air bags and ABS. The Accord has side and side curtain airbags, a much stronger safety cage, great crash test ratings for 2011, stability control, and front and rear head restraints that are actually tall enough to prevent whiplash. Also the front airbags are actually properly designed, in the Town Car (and most other pre 1998 cars) they were overpowered.

FWIW, the Town Car was hit by a big SUV at about 15 mph in the front quarter panel on January 29, 2015 and no one was hurt. Car was a total loss, it was 21 years old and not worth much, but someone else bought it and fixed it up.

Efficiency. That same Accord gets 26 mpg, with a 271 hp V6 and a 3,593 lb curb weight. The Town Car got about 18 mpg, had a 210 hp V8. That's a heck of a lot of progress in 17 years.

Features. My Accord has heated seats, GPS navigation, and dual zone climate control, all things that the Town Car didn't have. It's also just as comfortable as that old Town Car, and was half the price new (adjusted for inflation).

Reliability. My Accord has over 128,000 miles and the climate control system makes an odd rattle. That's it. The Town Car had, I believe, about 120,000 when it was totaled and was dead-nuts reliable; however, my teacher's 1997 Dodge Caravan bought the farm at 100k in 2003.
1994 is considered old boy now i feel very old, old to me is the vehicles my parents had growing up, I was born in 1955 lol lol. I lived by the Ford Wixom assembly plant that made that Lincoln Town Car was a beautiful car their main storage lot was filled with new Lincoln’s including the Town Car. The plant had their own train tracks to haul the new Lincoln’s across the country.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:08 AM

10,364 posts, read 10,546,381 times
4 cylinder engines with 300+ horsepower.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:13 AM

1,610 posts, read 2,003,492 times
Best trend is hybrid systems, integrating the best of ICEs with electric motors! New hybrids can get 50+ mpg. The technology in these cars is amazing.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:03 AM

11,668 posts, read 6,047,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Other than ergonomics, I think the list was pretty good. Ergonomics include infotainment, which is unnecessarily complex compared the past. I'm not sure seating has improved much either. My sister's 2005 Volvo V70R has the best seats I've experienced.

Yeah, but Volvo has always had great seats. My first car was a family hand-me-down stripped 1972 Maverick with a bench seat. I swapped in seats from a wrecked late-1960s Volvo 144. My girlfriend has an S80. That's had the same best-of-breed seat since 1998. I've been in lots of rental cars this year with awful seats. It's $$$, not technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive