U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:30 AM

88 posts, read 11,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
If you mean, tuning a street car to turn more than 100hp per liter of displacement, motorcycles have been doing that for decades. I had a 750cc from 1995 dyno at 108hp at the wheel, with some work on the intake and exhaust side that I did with a tuner. Still, then or now, it's impressive.

My current 3.8L flat-six with "Power Kit" option makes 430hp claimed, no forced induction, so more than 100hp/liter. Not bad for street, with a warranty, and when rocked it screams like a hell hound as it comes on the cam (as we used to say).
HP/liter is only useful in race cars that have displacement limits or countries where displacement is taxed and thus limited. Other than that, it's a pointless exercise. It's easy to make more hp/liter as the engine gets smaller. Your motorcycle engines were tiny and while they had great HP/liter numbers, they had low overall hp. A COX .049 gas RC airplane engine makes over 400hp/liter in stock form. But would you want one powering your car? I think not. It's about overall power and power curves (useful power) and it's easier to get that from more displacement or turbocharging/supercharging (which mimics added displacement by moving more air through the engine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 04:55 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,273,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Uber

Why own a car that sits and depreciates 97% of the time? Buy the ride, not the car.

Do the math: 365 days per year, 24 hours per day = 8760 hours available.

Drive 12K miles per year at an average speed of 50 mph = 240 hours of use. That's a 2.7% utilization.

I utilize my firearms, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers even less. But when I need them, I need them and wouldn't want to be caught without them.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Best trend is hybrid systems, integrating the best of ICEs with electric motors! New hybrids can get 50+ mpg. The technology in these cars is amazing.
Hybrids are a transitional technology. In a few years they'll barely exist at all.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
FACTORY HID projector headlamps

Electronically locking differentials / shift-on-the-fly transfer cases

Creature comforts in pickup trucks

Bluetooth streaming audio (so i don't have to choose between Apple Music and fast-charging)
HIDs won't be around much longer. In the future low end vehicles will have LED headlights and upper end will have laser headlights.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:15 AM

7,111 posts, read 2,654,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
On the contrary, they had a well-known reliability record. Every hear of the "Slant-Six engine?"

Nostalgia? I know from personal experience. Not only did my '66 Dart go 160,000 miles before an engine rebuild, but I drove it very hard many times. Burnouts and winding 1st gear to 40 mph and second to 70 mph.
The guy who bought my 2002 Corvette has 170k miles on it now. No engine rebuild, second set of spark plugs, 2nd serpentine belt, original clutch, and brakes were first done at 120k. Pretty much just air filters and oil changes. Everycar I grew up with biodegraded long before then and we didnít live in the rust belt.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:28 AM

7,111 posts, read 2,654,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
This actually reminded me: PDK, or other modern dual-clutch paddle shift. This is a real-recent trend, and mostly in the higher-end sports cars. I "think" most serious motojournalists will say Porsche's Doppelkupplung (PDK dual clutch) is the best in the business, others Ferrari. I haven't driven Audi's updated version that came out couple years ago. All are a massive improvement over single clutch, including how Lamborghini and Jaguar implemented (and most others). Porsche's own Tiptronic did not wind my watch, when it came out not that many years ago, and many enthusiasts just rolled their eyes and said, "Try again!" I sure did.

Trying to puzzle out if these...dual clutch in-particular... will ever be ubiquitous as a "possible" option, much less low-cost, and guessing: not so much. They are light-years ahead of manual transmissions. On a track, when I'm clutching and pumping for gears on a manual, PDK has me where I want in the rev range pretty fast.

THAT SAID, literally every car I've owned with one exception since age 16 has been manual. I am a convert. I now own one of each, on my two favorite cars ever which are thankfully in my garage. A manual is hugely more engaging and soulful than PDK on just about ANY car. On my X-Runner it's just cool. Sports cars, on the street, there you go because nothing is as easy to control the car, as a man wants to to.

But PDK gets way better mileage, is setup in a such a way that you can be auto or manual with a click flick of the wrist on the center stick, to worry or not about any of it as the moment decides. Various buttons put PDK and rest of the car in the 'mode' you might want. Only three choices, but heck that's pretty interesting too as the car goes from docile kitty-cat to track-only redlining soulful beast in Sport-Plus mode...I often drive around town in the intermediate 'Sport' mode as that's how I tended to roll anyway, behavior-wise, in my former 911 Turbo (manual).

...we live in good times.
That reminds me. I like the selectable exhaust sounds youíre now able to find on cars. Just because I want an engaging sound on a twisty road doesnít mean I need loud exhaust drone while idling through a drive thru.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:50 PM

803 posts, read 632,258 times
Horsepower, most modern cars have enough power for the road. People used to do backyard modifications just to add a couple more horsepower.

Old Today, 01:25 AM

22,168 posts, read 26,771,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The guy who bought my 2002 Corvette has 170k miles on it now. No engine rebuild, second set of spark plugs, 2nd serpentine belt, original clutch, and brakes were first done at 120k. Pretty much just air filters and oil changes. Everycar I grew up with biodegraded long before then and we didnít live in the rust belt.
Those stories can also apply to some old cars.

For example, a friend's '66 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, 218,000 miles with the original transmission.

My mom's '70 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, over 200,000 miles also with the original transmission.

Old Today, 12:30 PM

1,173 posts, read 414,912 times
Being able to play your music through satellite radio or android auto is the best. No more carrying a big binder full of cds if you don't want to listen to the radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive