U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 08:39 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,998,276 times

Advertisements

When I was fifteen year old, a year before I could get my license, my dad bought an old chevy just for the purpose of teaching me all about cars, what makes them run, and better yet, what makes them not run.
This old chevy was a learning experience.
Dad told me I would not get my driver's license until I knew about cars.
Together, we tore the engine out, and the transmission, removed all the exterior parts, removed the suspension, brake parts, then he told me to put it all back together.
That took about three weeks total.
Didn't work on it every day.

I put everything back by myself, and for sure, I learned a hell of a lot about vehicles.
That knowledge has lasted me my entire life.
No one works on any of my vehicles, and at 80,(this coming January) I still do all my own work on my vehicles.
The one time(when my pickup was still under warranty) the dealer did some brake work on it, and the job was done incorrectly,so that I had to do it over a few days later.

The only other time someone did work on one of my cars was last year, when I had to replace the pads and rotors on the Corvette.
I had already bought the parts, and was getting ready to install them when I tore a rotator cuff in my left shoulder.
I sent the car out to be worked on by a service facility that only works on Corvettes.
Other than that, I always work on my own vehicles.
Last week, I crawled under both of them to change oil and filters.
I still enjoy working on them, and will continue until the good Lord says it time t hang it up.
I thank my day for teaching me all I know about working on vehicles.

I am up to date with all the electronics, and emissions of the Corvette as I make it a habit to be well informed.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 09:07 PM

2,805 posts, read 741,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Your poor grammar aside, I used this one interaction as an example. I used only this one example to save space and time for those who have reading comprehension problems or a short attention span. Iím not expecting people to know everything about their vehicle. I hope licensed drivers would at least know how to properly use the vehicleís transmission, align mirrors, how to turn on the headlights, how to turn on the hazard or flashing lights, when they should NOT be using their high beams, how to set the climate control to decoy or de-ice the windows, how and when to use turn signals, how and when to engage the parking brake, and to not use the phone while driving nor any of those other distractions. If you donít know these things then you should surrender your driverís license and go back to class.
Once you drive a vehicle everything comes naturally no matter what vehicle you drive at least in my case itís like that.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:45 PM

2,403 posts, read 882,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Look at the owners manual
It was a used car, there is never an owners manual. And it was too dark to read.

Remember when the earrly nannies decided you had to push a button to get the key out of the ignition? How many places did carmakers dream up to hide that button, to stop the carnage on the highways? I worked for a rental agency, I spent half my time searching for them. I think some were under the seat.

Last edited by cebuan; 11-24-2018 at 10:00 PM..

Old 11-24-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
It was a used car, there is never an owners manual. And it was too dark to read.

Remember when the earrly nannies decided you had to push a button to get the key out of the ignition? How many places did carmakers dream up to hide that button, to stop the carnage on the highways?
Yes there is most times because people rarely read them and they stay in the glove box. And Yes i remember when you had to push a button to get the key out of the ignition I’ve been driving since 1970.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:59 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,467,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Why does one exchange represents everyone? It sounds like you're saying you the "smartest" of them all is the only one that knows how to drive a car, and one person not knowing as much as you and that automatically means everyone does not know how to drive. The arrogance in this statement.
Not everyone, but notice the person was female, and young, as if that was a distinction worth pointing out. I guess my elderly aunt born in 1906 was right to complain that when she was young, people thought women were too stupid to drive.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:49 PM

6,744 posts, read 1,633,995 times
I learned to drive thanks to my uncle taking me out a few times ( teach me to drive a stick shift and drive in general), I was around 15 at the time, then a girl i was dating let me drive her car here and there, I went and got my license a couple weeks later, and used her car to take the test.

Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM

2,403 posts, read 882,668 times
By the thread title, I thought this was going to be about not being a selfish road hog, and anticipating other drivers' behaviors, and paying attention to road conditions.

Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM

383 posts, read 70,635 times
Quote:
Look at the owners manual
Whoa! They still come with owner's manuals? ;-)

Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Whoa! They still come with owner's manuals? ;-)
Yep i know right it’s amazing what are the automakers thinking

Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM

8,927 posts, read 7,435,262 times
Quote:
Yep i know right itís amazing what are the automakers thinking
Iím surprised they havenít gone to a QR scan code to pull up a web based PDF owners manual the owner can download to their smart phone, tablet, or laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or