Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:10 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times

Advertisements

The self proclaimed "techs" on these boards aren't going to be doing anything on their own unless they happen to have a method to program a vehicles ECU and know exactly which memory location to edit (which they wont without a great deal of research). Some newer cars like the Nissan GTR actually have an encrypted ECU so good luck working your way through that without some expensive and specialized equipment. If this ever reaches market it is more likely that 3rd party aftermarket developers will offer a ECU flash or a piggyback device to override the GPS system. This will often have to be vehicle specific so cross your fingers that something is developed for the car you happen to own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have an interesting idea which is why not come up with a combination GPS and speed control unit in all cars and trucks? Let's say you are driving down Hwy 9 and the speed limit is 55. The GPS would know you are on hwy 9 and the speed limit could be programmed or transmitted and then it could override your driving and make it so you could not exceed the legal limit. I think this is an excellent idea and it should be required.
this is an extremely poor idea. what happens if a situation arises that requires extra speed, but because of the nanny bot in the car it isnt available?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I agree with you Crew Chief. If you're passing on a two lane, for instance, and shortly after pulling out you spot an oncoming vehicle which would require accelerating beyond the posted limit, there would be one less option. Good point!

Not necessarily. It could be designed to give you a 30-second grace period, which would allow unlimited speed for up to 30 seconds, and then cut it back.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of it, only that this is not a valid argument against it.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Default annoying idea

I would find this to be quite annoying as I usually drive 6 to 8 mph over the limit when cruising on the interstate and pretty much use speed limits as advisories on back roads. My two lane passing technique is to check twice for oncoming traffic, accelerate while pulling out to pass, floor the throttle until I am back in lane, then coast down to whatever speed I was going before the pass. A speed limiting black box would make passing very unsafe due to the increased time in the wrong lane.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have an interesting idea which is why not come up with a combination GPS and speed control unit in all cars and trucks? Let's say you are driving down Hwy 9 and the speed limit is 55. The GPS would know you are on hwy 9 and the speed limit could be programmed or transmitted and then it could override your driving and make it so you could not exceed the legal limit. I think this is an excellent idea and it should be required.
It is a horrible idea and I would oppose it. No driver should ever have the control of his vehicle taken by the government. Wouldn't you hate to have this feature hacked?

In an emergency, you might need to go above the speed limit. Perhaps for a few seconds to avoid an accident, perhaps longer to pass a car.

Your idea assumes speed limits are always correct. It also would require massive investment in communications networks and computers to make it work.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this is an extremely poor idea. what happens if a situation arises that requires extra speed, but because of the nanny bot in the car it isnt available?
If everyone is doing the same speed then there never would be a situation where an increase in speed is necessary. Face it, sometime in the future this will happen. You will program your car to get you to a point and the car will get you there. There will be stretches on the highway where 100mph will be the norm.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
If everyone is doing the same speed then there never would be a situation where an increase in speed is necessary. Face it, sometime in the future this will happen. You will program your car to get you to a point and the car will get you there. There will be stretches on the highway where 100mph will be the norm.
You're kidding me..right???

Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
My new GPS lets me know as soon as I am speeding. What we need is to record anytime a vehicle is speeding and then let their insurance company review their policy.Speeders often kill people you know, they need to pay more.......much more

Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
You're kidding me..right???
No I am not. if we all have cars that drive themselves then why would you need to go a different speed than anyone else.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Speeders often kill people you know, they need to pay more.......much more
Often? Most of the people in this country speed, yet only 3 percent get into accidents yearly, and only .00001% die. MOST people drive slighty rapidly successfully and safely. According to the NHTSA and FARS data.

Unles YOU can prove otherwise, I'll assume you are speakling out your butt again.

Remember, there are 200 MILLION drivers in the US. And only 6 million accidents yearly, with only half of those resulting in any injury 9and an injury can be as mild as a sprained finger...). 40,000 fatalities per year, half of which are still due to alchohol. You do the math. What percentage of peopel die? What percentage of peopel die due to speeders? And you want to say OFTEN? What a joke. MOST people are quite safe (over 190 million drivers per year are safe and don't have accidents, and yet speeding is done by most of them).

We'd do better to have reasonable speed limits and better driver training. THAT would keep more people from getting injured or killed than Big Brother tactics of "the government knows best."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive