U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 300 times

Advertisements

After 40-something vehicles I've had to retire due to rotting out, I'm really looking for the best rust proofing method as I'm buying my first brand new car. Our 2016 already has a fair amount of surface rusting starting underneath. Its red, but all winter its white. Even after a car wash. I'd give it a few more years of no protection before it starts developing crusty areas.

In the winter here theres nowhere to drive where you arent running over piles of road salt. When the roads are wet and its raining, you're driving through concentrated road salt that is spraying everything! I wanted to post this in the general forum and not just my area, to get more ideas. Undercoating has a big price range. Nothing is ever guaranteed. Is it worth it? Is there something better?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM

16,700 posts, read 17,844,479 times
It helps.

I had a buddy who sprayed motor oil under his truck. Coated the whole bottom

Imo best to buy a winter beater and putvthecnice car away till better weather

Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM

4,825 posts, read 4,929,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochev View Post
After 40-something vehicles I've had to retire due to rotting out, I'm really looking for the best rust proofing method as I'm buying my first brand new car. Our 2016 already has a fair amount of surface rusting starting underneath. Its red, but all winter its white. Even after a car wash. I'd give it a few more years of no protection before it starts developing crusty areas.
Oil undercoating. Every year. Professionally done. About $150.00 per year depending on area of country.

"Undercoating" is a term that is misused.

In the olden days undercoating was used only for SOUND deadening. Nothing to do with rust prevention.
Later came products such as Rusty Jones and Ziebart. That material was similar to LINE-X - the hard plastic used in pickup truck beds. That material did not hold up or work properly. Rusty Jones went bankrupt because of too many claims of vehicle rusting.

So you see - the term "undercoating" has different meanings to different people.

Today, the only thing that works is oil undercoating - that is done annually.

View this video from this company that explains all.

https://nhoilundercoating.com/faq-undercoating/

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

33,896 posts, read 52,292,323 times
Marine paint???

Here are some recommendations with great reviews:
https://www.fullgleam.com/car-detail...itor-for-cars/
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,370,369 times
Here's a good video showing what rubberized undercoating can do to your ride -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXvl9nt57Kg

If you want your ride destroyed, using a rubber undercoating will do it.

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

2,818 posts, read 745,699 times
Check with the manufacturer of your vehicle and see what undercoating can void your rust through warranty.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

190 posts, read 44,279 times
Any permanent coat should be put on before the car ever sees a road. If you put it over any existing rust or trap any salt, it will not from in inside out.

Oil coatings work pretty well, and greatly slow the rot, even on vehicles which have already started rusting.

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,550,777 times
From what I've heard, this is the best product to use. https://www.fluid-film.com/

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

38,787 posts, read 45,390,279 times
Does undercoating really prevent rust?

Delays it. Eventually rust will form unless you take other measures to aid in preventing it.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

9,946 posts, read 14,124,957 times
Yeah, it does and does for long time, if done right.
I come from country where cars were made out of fast rusting cheap metal. They rusted through in few years. Plus, salt was spread on roads anywhere for 5-6 months a year. Except the far North, where it's prohibited.

Anyhow. Not my grandpa's Moskvitch. The very moment he bought it, he rolled it to the side and, and thorough wash, put a thick layer of marine mastic onto it. Everywhere. THICK layer. Also, sided as protection from rock chips and other abrasive materials.
he used same mastic they use on naval ships. Car was bought in 1971, sold in 1993 without a single spot of rust. 22 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive