Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:22 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the only thing i use electronic maps for these days is to find an address, and not to get directions to said address. i have a rand mcnally for that if i need it.
Used to be like that. Always carry a map or atlas.

Have two Garmins in each vehicle. Always use them for long trips or places away in other states or cities.

Again, still have to use common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 10:28 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,468 times
If that woman can't tell the difference between a road or railroad tracks, then she shouldn't be driving. Though them GPS do make mistakes from time to time, common sense should prevail here.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:37 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
https://jalopnik.com/these-are-your-...ies-1803140713

https://www.gpsbites.com/top-10-list...t-nav-mistakes

Old 11-26-2018, 10:44 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think they were going to increase the fine to a thousand dollars as an encouragement to not be stupid.
Not enough money in the world to tax away stupid.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:59 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
F the GPS in cars. Quick glance at a map before I go and off to my destination. May jot down the street name or exit I need before going in big letters on a piece of paper.

One thing that really gets me are those that need me to give them an address on where to meet. Hell, If I'm not living there I don't know the address so just listen for one minute. Take such and such named road until it ends and make a right and I'm right there. You really need a GPS for that. Do you really need one to have some annoying voice tell you how to incorrectly leave your community? Or how about driving to the FL Keys? 95 SOUTH. No easier then that.

Palease, GPS's belong on boats and airplanes, not cars!

Old 11-26-2018, 11:06 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
F the GPS in cars. Quick glance at a map before I go and off to my destination. May jot down the street name or exit I need before going in big letters on a piece of paper.

One thing that really gets me are those that need me to give them an address on where to meet. Hell, If I'm not living there I don't know the address so just listen for one minute. Take such and such named road until it ends and make a right and I'm right there. You really need a GPS for that. Do you really need one to have some annoying voice tell you how to incorrectly leave your community? Or how about driving to the FL Keys? 95 SOUTH. No easier then that.

Palease, GPS's belong on boats and airplanes, not cars!

That's a relatively parochial point of view.

GPS is hugely useful to MOST in commercial driving. It is hugely useful to MANY consumers in getting around traffic, alternate routing, searching places to eat, drink, stop, gas, etc, etc. Still others are just bad at directions and could use the turn-by-turn specificity provided by GPS. They help far more than they hurt.

Gone are the days of paper maps or stopping at convenience stores to ask for directions; most of us think this is a good thing.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:07 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I hate the part when the GPS mis-directs you and you correct it yourself and she starts the repeated "re-calculating" over and over and over.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I hate the part when the GPS mis-directs you and you correct it yourself and she starts the repeated "re-calculating" over and over and over.
Garmin did away with the RECALCULATING years ago. Cannot get a new one with Recalculating.

I actually prefer the Recalculating - as I know that I have made a mistake right away.

So all of my Garmins are the older LMT Garmins with Recalculating. I got a bunch of them as they are cheap on the auction sites.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:23 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
We do a lot of camping and exploring in the West. We don’t have an on board gps device but instead use paper maps and iPad. I may use directions in Google or Apple maps if in an unfamiliar area especially to find grocery stores, fuel, propane, etc. But, no, I don’t like an irritating voice telling me to turn here or there. I can read maps.

I use several apps like Gas Buddy for fuel and Avenza that has downloadable Benchmark atlases for each state. I also have an off line detailed maps app for each state.

We have had some adventures though when we spot a road that is less traveled or indicated as a gravel or 4x4 road. Sometimes the road disappears into sage brush or we are on an off camber narrow road with a drop off on one side and rocky cliff on the other. Fun adventure. But, we make it out and have been to remote ghost towns, along the California Emigrant Trail and seen wild horses and burros.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
These stories while remarkable aren't entertaining at all when they involve the elderly or people who don't survive their mistake. This can be a pretty significant problem in remote areas with extreme climates.

I really feel the manufacturers and retailers of these products should be doing more to increase awareness of their products safe use and limitations.
Safe use is easy. Research the route beforehand including using Google Maps to see actual images of every road and intersection. Then, use the talking GPS as an audio reminder of your route.

I would NEVER just type in a destination and off I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive