U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 04:32 PM

9,614 posts, read 5,308,296 times

Advertisements

The GPS is an amazing invention, if you would have told people 25 years ago that you can do this they would have thought men landed from Mars. But like everything it's not perfect but that's no reason to trash the entire idea. They did an Office episode where Michael followed the instructions into a lake. That was humor, I would think this driver would have had more common sense than a character on a stupid sit com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 07:13 PM

7,357 posts, read 2,308,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
These stories while remarkable aren't entertaining at all when they involve the elderly or people who don't survive their mistake. This can be a pretty significant problem in remote areas with extreme climates.

I really feel the manufacturers and retailers of these products should be doing more to increase awareness of their products safe use and limitations.
I watched a young woman, walking with her nose buried in a cellphone, right across a busy intersection during rush hour, against a "Don't Walk" signal. There were cars coming fast, but she paid no attention. They hit their brakes hard and one spun sideways. But she never looked up, then tripped on the curb at the far side of the street. What do you think her chances are of ever becoming elderly and if she does, what serious problems will that bring? I don't think we've seen anything yet, in the way of difficulties that aging will cause, until the current "social media" generation becomes older.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:49 PM

4,213 posts, read 2,785,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You can't fix stupid.
Like the late great George Carlin once said, "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

I would like to add, I just did an eight day, over 2,000 mile, road trip around the Southeast visiting 10 different states (SC, NC, VA, TN, KY, MS, LA, AL, GA, FL), don't have a smart phone and have never owned a GPS in my life, and didn't get lost once! I just have a 2006 road atlas (probably should update that!) in my back seat and great sense of direction, it's not hard folks.

Last edited by cjseliga; 11-26-2018 at 08:18 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 08:06 PM

15,461 posts, read 15,416,991 times
My smartphone-based GPS is pretty good.....but sometimes it betrays me.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:13 PM

7,545 posts, read 3,823,077 times
Bottom line - gps is a tool that can be very useful but is not intended to replace common sense and basic navigational skills.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:20 PM

9,230 posts, read 3,837,033 times
Quote:
Bottom line - gps is a tool that can be very useful but is not intended to replace common sense and basic navigational skills.
they dont teach common sense in school... and kids dont play the common sense internet game either

Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 PM

906 posts, read 483,137 times
Although I rarely use the audio on it, the GPS app I use has saved me from a hitting few road hazards and most likely a few speeding tickets. A couple times warned me of deer. Plus some have useful notifications of gas stations, stores and restaurants.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:37 PM

7,357 posts, read 2,308,364 times
The first Hawaiians made it all the way from Tahiti, with only Mother Nature's signposts to guide them. They didn't even know there was anything there, but found it anyway. It was like leaping off a cliff and learning to fly, on the way down.

Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

18,325 posts, read 10,035,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Safe use is easy. Research the route beforehand including using Google Maps to see actual images of every road and intersection. Then, use the talking GPS as an audio reminder of your route.

I would NEVER just type in a destination and off I go.
It also clues me in to the current traffic situation on the route. It even identifies sudden problems ahead (like an accident) and suggests alternate routes.

Regardless how well I know the route, the traffic information is a frequent lifesaver around Dallas.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

18,325 posts, read 10,035,981 times
Quote:
Only place I've ever heard that is on a commercial.
Google Maps used to display "Rerouting" on the screen....never heard it say anything audibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or