U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:51 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,132,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We do a lot of camping and exploring in the West. We donít have an on board gps device but instead use paper maps and iPad. I may use directions in Google or Apple maps if in an unfamiliar area especially to find grocery stores, fuel, propane, etc. But, no, I donít like an irritating voice telling me to turn here or there. I can read maps.

I use several apps like Gas Buddy for fuel and Avenza that has downloadable Benchmark atlases for each state. I also have an off line detailed maps app for each state.

We have had some adventures though when we spot a road that is less traveled or indicated as a gravel or 4x4 road. Sometimes the road disappears into sage brush or we are on an off camber narrow road with a drop off on one side and rocky cliff on the other. Fun adventure. But, we make it out and have been to remote ghost towns, along the California Emigrant Trail and seen wild horses and burros.

You need Allstays if you're really into camping and RVing. They have a number of different apps, depending on your needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Like the late great George Carlin once said, "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

I would like to add, I just did an eight day, over 2,000 mile, road trip around the Southeast visiting 10 different states (SC, NC, VA, TN, KY, MS, LA, AL, GA, FL), don't have a smart phone and have never owned a GPS in my life, and didn't get lost once! I just have a 2006 road atlas (probably should update that!) in my back seat and great sense of direction, it's not hard folks.

A road atlas is fine for getting an idea of where major roads go, but it's useless for finding the nearest and cheapest gas (GasBuddy app) or a specific type of restaurant (any number of apps or Maps) or a motel/hotel (Trivago app or chain app like the Motel 6 app). I can find almost anything on Maps, choose the particular location I want based on geographical location, hit the "Directions" icon and have the route guidance display on my infotainment screen via Apple CarPlay. I remember the days of looking something up on a public phonebooth directory and then looking at a paper map to figure out the routing. I don't ever want to have to go back to those days. I'm retired, but I embrace the current technology that makes navigating so much easier and safer.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The first Hawaiians made it all the way from Tahiti, with only Mother Nature's signposts to guide them. They didn't even know there was anything there, but found it anyway. It was like leaping off a cliff and learning to fly, on the way down.

They found it by blind luck. Many others didn't and died at sea.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Actually, the GPS can confuse folks in this regard as not everyone has the "audio directions" turned on.

For example, if you're on the highway going 60 mph then you have to understand that "turn in 0.1 miles" means turn at the next exit.

However if you're driving through slow traffic in an urban environment, you have to know that even if you turn in 100 feet, you could still be taking the wrong turn. Also, sometimes it only directs you to the general location and not the exact location, especially if the location is near other buildings and stores. There are also times where it can't find a signal.

But my point is that GPS systems are far from perfect.

The onboard nav in my Hyundai chimes right at the point where I'm supposed to turn. It's never been wrong yet.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:16 PM

20,104 posts, read 11,152,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
They found it by blind luck. Many others didn't and died at sea.
And we don't know how many others died at sea. We only know that lucky bunch.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:20 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,769,784 times
You canít fix stupid.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:38 AM

13,102 posts, read 19,934,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Waze is community populated. Someone drives by a bunch of deer by the road and notes it for that location. Same for cops sitting behind a tree running radar.
I didnít realize Waze had deer warnings added to it. The cop reports have been awfully inaccurate that I donít bother to use waze.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:44 AM

13,102 posts, read 19,934,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
GPS never finds my house. I live in the middle of a city of 700k people, in a neighbourhood that is 200 years old, on a street that is 70 years old. Not a new street in the boonies.

The problem is that GPS for cars is designed, well, for cars. And my "street" is a pair of sidewalks with mature trees down the middle. The residents park in two back lanes, one behind the even side of the street, one on the odd. My house is on the even side, but GPS always sends people to the odd side.

It seems that no one listens to us explain where our house is, delivery people just want our address and cut us off. Then we wait for the inevitable phone call "Driver here, where are you exactly?" Makes us chuckle every time. The last time this happened I was waiting for a shuttle van from our car dealership. I told him to hang on, and jogged over to meet him. It's just easier sometimes.
I was doing driving for Insta-cart and I saw that often. Many addresses lead to the side of townhomes or condos where the garage is. The actual front door is on the next street over. I double check satellite photos when that happens. Usually it works.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:41 AM

359 posts, read 712,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I hate the part when the GPS mis-directs you and you correct it yourself and she starts the repeated "re-calculating" over and over and over.

My problem with the GPS is I mistrust it. So if it tells me to turn somewhere, and it doesn't look or sound right to me, I ignore the GPS and do what I want, which usually turns out wrong, or at least not the best route. The other problem I have is with judging distance. If the GPS says turn right in 100 yards, and I see a street coming up, I tend to turn on the upcoming street, even though it is less than 100 yards away. I would prefer the GPS say to "turn right on Maple street" vs. turn right in 100 yards.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 AM

20,104 posts, read 11,152,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
My problem with the GPS is I mistrust it. So if it tells me to turn somewhere, and it doesn't look or sound right to me, I ignore the GPS and do what I want, which usually turns out wrong, or at least not the best route.
So if doing what you want usually turns out wrong, why keep doing what you want instead of following the GPS application?

Quote:
The other problem I have is with judging distance. If the GPS says turn right in 100 yards, and I see a street coming up, I tend to turn on the upcoming street, even though it is less than 100 yards away. I would prefer the GPS say to "turn right on Maple street" vs. turn right in 100 yards.
I guess there is a need to specify which GPS application is being discussed in these posts.

Google Maps does show you on the screen by name which street to turn on, and it tells you which street (or exit, et cetera) you'll turn on next immediately after you made the last direction change.

When there are possible direction changes before the next specified direction change, Google Maps orally provides a distance value ("In half a mile, take Exit 31"). At the point that there are no more "wrong" possible direction changes before the next specified direction change, Google Maps oral direction drops distance value and merely says "Take Exit 31." When there is no distance value given, the very next possible direction change should be made.

If people aren't looking to see what's actually there before making the direction change, how do they know a semi-trailer truck hasn't stalled right in front of them?

Every application requires a bit of learning to use effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or