U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

1,258 posts, read 718,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You need Allstays if you're really into camping and RVing. They have a number of different apps, depending on your needs.
I do have AllStays, the tent version plus Ultimate Campgrounds. Mostly we boondock, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

9,564 posts, read 14,394,413 times
In Maine there is a sign.

This is a driveway.
Your GPS is wrong.
How far would you
like to BACK UP?

The family had a tractor trailer pull up to the house - at night. It is a long way to back up.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

8,932 posts, read 7,447,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
In my Air Force career, I lived by maps. I like maps. I like just reading maps like reading a book. I even have framed maps on my office walls as art.

When planning a trip, I used to build the same kind of route books for myself that I built for fighter pilot missions: map excerpts along the route of increasing scale as you get closer to the "target."

But I've pretty much given up paper maps since going with my cell phone GPS. I'll still study my route before taking off, but that's easy enough on a nice-sized phone.

Here is what I wished phones had: A single button to switch between "Point Of View" and a small overhead scale showing current location to destination. I'd rather be in small scale seeing my changing position relative to the destination for most of the trip, switching to POV only when the route became complicated.
I too love maps. I love the option of finding my own path and side trips. Id love to have a classic English study with beautiful framed antique map reproductions mounted on the walls.

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

4,803 posts, read 7,621,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
In Maine there is a sign.

This is a driveway.
Your GPS is wrong.
How far would you
like to BACK UP?

The family had a tractor trailer pull up to the house - at night. It is a long way to back up.
Maybe the same driver that went down a bike path in a park, and got stuck on a bridge ?

https://abc7chicago.com/news/man-dri...es-gps/395218/

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

12,624 posts, read 19,078,317 times
Quote:
So if doing what you want usually turns out wrong, why keep doing what you want instead of following the GPS application?

I guess there is a need to specify which GPS application is being discussed in these posts.

Google Maps does show you on the screen by name which street to turn on, and it tells you which street (or exit, et cetera) you'll turn on next immediately after you made the last direction change.

<snip>

Every application requires a bit of learning to use effectively.

Around here Google maps does not always give the name of the road. Usually it is a number. There are so many of them that it becomes useless. Apple maps tends to give the names. That's here though. Don't know if it's reversed elsewhere.

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

339 posts, read 675,791 times
Quote:
So if doing what you want usually turns out wrong, why keep doing what you want instead of following the GPS application?

I guess it goes back to mistrust. It's a combination of being lead astray enough times that I think I know better, and just applying common sense and thinking "this just doesn't look right". For example, the GPS telling me to turn down a gravel road that isn't wide enough for 2 vehicles. It doesn't look right, and doesn't look like a wise route to take (what if there is a car coming the other way), although it will get me to my destination in a shorter fashion. I would just prefer to not follow the GPS in those cases.

Quote:
I guess there is a need to specify which GPS application is being discussed in these posts. Google Maps does show you on the screen by name which street to turn on, and it tells you which street (or exit, et cetera) you'll turn on next immediately after you made the last direction change.

I usually use Google Maps, but in the past used a stand alone GPS device. I can't say for sure which I have used when encountering this problem, but can say I usually rely on audio directions versus trying to read the screen while driving, especially when driving places I am not familiar with. Another problem with the city I live in (San Antonio) is the same road has multiple names. Or at least part of it does. For example, US Highway 90, or part of it, is also named the Cleto Rodriguez Freeway, although I know of no one who actually calls in that when speaking. So the GPS may say "continue on to Cleto Rodriguez Freeway". Instead of "continue on to US Highway 90". If you are reading the screen, you can figure it out, otherwise it gets confusing if relying on audio directions.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

8,542 posts, read 11,509,788 times
Just imagine if the tracks led to a narrow bridge built only for the trains.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

18,335 posts, read 10,042,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
I guess it goes back to mistrust. It's a combination of being lead astray enough times that I think I know better, and just applying common sense and thinking "this just doesn't look right". For example, the GPS telling me to turn down a gravel road that isn't wide enough for 2 vehicles. It doesn't look right, and doesn't look like a wise route to take (what if there is a car coming the other way), although it will get me to my destination in a shorter fashion. I would just prefer to not follow the GPS in those cases.

I usually use Google Maps, but in the past used a stand alone GPS device. I can't say for sure which I have used when encountering this problem, but can say I usually rely on audio directions versus trying to read the screen while driving, especially when driving places I am not familiar with. Another problem with the city I live in (San Antonio) is the same road has multiple names. Or at least part of it does. For example, US Highway 90, or part of it, is also named the Cleto Rodriguez Freeway, although I know of no one who actually calls in that when speaking. So the GPS may say "continue on to Cleto Rodriguez Freeway". Instead of "continue on to US Highway 90". If you are reading the screen, you can figure it out, otherwise it gets confusing if relying on audio directions.
Most often, it appears to me that Google Maps is programmed with the actual verbiage on the signs displayed at that point.

For instance, around the Dallas area, when the sign displays "M c Kinney"--with significant space between the M and the C--Google Maps says "M-C-Kinney." But further down the road where the sign more accurately displays "Mc Kinney," Google Maps says "Mac-Kinney."

Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM

826 posts, read 344,280 times
I know that the Fairbanks, Alaska airport had problems with people driving onto the runway because their GPS told them to.

Old Today, 08:11 AM

9,564 posts, read 14,394,413 times
I have an old map of Maine from when we became a state. Longitude is depicted as east or west of Washington, DC. Maine has lots of dams that were built primarily to supply water wheels for saw mills and grist mills.It is interesting to see how the land was before the lakes. Many of the old names have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or