Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 05:30 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times

Advertisements

Get a few quotes on that timing belt replacement, with all recommended extras (rollers, tensioner, water pump) and that will give you a ballpark for the cost of the other services. Yelp is a good place to find a few local independent shops, as long as you know how to read/weight the reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 05:35 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaboogie View Post
Thank you for the responses, these are very helpful. So I'm not handy and cannot do any maintenance myself, sadly. So would you all recommend just finding a reputable mechanic to do the work? I usually take the car to the dealer for servicing, so it would stay qualified under the 10 year/100,000 mile Hyundai warranty. But I cannot afford to do this servicing at a $950 price point. How would I find a reputable mechanic to get this servicing done? Look on Yelp? Thank you again.
Look at reviews on yelp, sort them from low to high - otherwise all you will see is wonderful 5 star reviews. Find 3 independent shops that get good reviews and get an estimate from each of them and let them know you are getting other estimates.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:50 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Such a shame that mechanics don't work for free.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:15 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Such a shame that mechanics don't work for free.
Such a shame that many shops, especially dealerships, gouge the screamin' bejeezus out of customers for routine services that probably aren't even needed.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:27 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
https://repairpal.com/estimator/hyun...placement-cost

Note the cost for replacing the water pump. That's why you replace it when they're doing the timing belt.
It's minor when the de-construction required to get at it is already done, major when it's not.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
I have a 2009 Hyundai Elantra and its in great condition. I've never had an issue with my car and take very good care of it. I'm right around 86,500 miles and I need to bring the car in for servicing. Every dealership in my city (Sacramento) said since the car is coming up on a milestone servicing, its best to do the 90K servicing at this time. However, the top tier servicing will cost me $950! I can opt to do the middle of the road servicing, but this will cost $650! I'm not working and need a more affordable option to service my car.

Does this servicing really cost this much for an almost 10 year old Elantra in great condition? This seems excessive to me. I took a screen shot of the recommended servicing from Hyundai's website. TIA.
Most of that is the timing belt. For the most part you’re out of warranty (in California you are not required to have the timing belt replaced before 100,000 miles to retain warranty (this is actually in the owners manual. It was on my Sorento.))
I would have the timing belt and oil change done. The only reason I would say dealer is because they will do it right. If you can find a good indi shop that may save you a few bucks. I would call around to get prices. I’ve done timing chains and belts on different motors and it’s really not that hard. It really isn’t. OHC motors simply need to be lined up at the marks of the crank pulley and engine tab. Also would require changing the coolant fluid anyway because the water pump should/will be replaced at the same time as the belt so it shouldn’t be a additional charge ). have them do the oil change. The rest is just bs inspections and filters which can easily be done by you at home.

My 2007 Kia Optima has a timing chain so if you have the 2.4 it’s a chain not a belt and shouldn’t need replacing

Old 11-29-2018, 06:08 AM

792 posts, read 2,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The only reason I would say dealer is because they will do it right.
If you do go to the dealer for the timing belt, then I would go just for that and have someone else do the other 90K stuff. The dealer 90K will be filled with things like a $20 windshield wiper fluid refill and other baloney that add up to a lot of extra money. Wherever you go, you might want to skip mentioning the 90K issue at all, since that's a signal to pad the bill, in my experience. I'd just look at the list of things in the manual (which will be mostly inspections, and at 90K, probably won't find anything) and ask the shop to do that. Only if you're comfortable with that approach, though. My elderly mother pays for the works at a independent shop and I'm glad she does.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:54 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
If you do go to the dealer for the timing belt, then I would go just for that and have someone else do the other 90K stuff. The dealer 90K will be filled with things like a $20 windshield wiper fluid refill and other baloney that add up to a lot of extra money. Wherever you go, you might want to skip mentioning the 90K issue at all, since that's a signal to pad the bill, in my experience. I'd just look at the list of things in the manual (which will be mostly inspections, and at 90K, probably won't find anything) and ask the shop to do that. Only if you're comfortable with that approach, though. My elderly mother pays for the works at a independent shop and I'm glad she does.
Now don’t forget he’s in California we’re prices are higher than other parts of the country.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:13 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
https://repairpal.com/estimator/hyun...placement-cost

Note the cost for replacing the water pump. That's why you replace it when they're doing the timing belt.
It's minor when the de-construction required to get at it is already done, major when it's not.
Yes. If you plan on keeping the car, definitely do this.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:17 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses, these are very helpful. So I'm not handy and cannot do any maintenance myself, sadly. So would you all recommend just finding a reputable mechanic to do the work? I usually take the car to the dealer for servicing, so it would stay qualified under the 10 year/100,000 mile Hyundai warranty. But I cannot afford to do this servicing at a $950 price point. How would I find a reputable mechanic to get this servicing done? Look on Yelp? Thank you again.

Here's where I see the problem. The dealer isn't that far out of line with their pricing.

The work itself.. First, all that inspection and oil change.. Like I said, that's about $50 of work.. Assuming you're running synthetic oil. The items that are high cost there are the changing of the Coolant and the Timing Belt.

The timing belt replacement is the big cost. And.. Not being totally familiar with the Hyundai.. I can tell you that the parts kit for replacing the timing belt runs about $60, markup on that.. That would get the belt, tensioner and pulley. That is a likely a good, solid 2 hour job. Figure labor of $100/hr.. You could PROBABLY get this done at a reputable independent shop for.. $350 to $400.

Now.. Follow what everyone else says here about replacing the water pump. absolutely. That does make sense, because if it failed, you'd have to do the exact same work all over again. Water pump runs about $50 for that vehicle. That's only going to add a minimal extra cost. Let's say it goes to $450 to $500 for our running total.

replacing all the coolant.. That shouldn't add any real labor.. figure another $50 for the coolant.. So, we're at $500 to $550.

Then add the oil change on top. We're likely in the $550 to $600 range.

I think that's the BEST you could do for the work that really should be done. And I think that is probably a little low. I'd probably say $700 is the best you could do overall. But, that IS $250 less than the dealership, and gets an additional part replaced in the water pump.

I should add in here.. I know alot of people don't like dealerships because of this.. They often are 20-30% higher than your independent shop. For ROUTINE maintenance like this.. I understand where they're coming from. but, you are paying that premium for someone who (supposedly) is an expert in your car make. They're working on Hyundais and they SHOULD know them front and back. The old adage "Your mileage may vary" comes into play here. At times, it's far better to have a dealership, so long as it's a good one, work on your vehicle. I tell the story about me spending WAY too much time tracking down a MAP sensor issue on my old truck. I couldn't find it.. Took it to the dealership and in 15 minutes he calls me back there and shows me that there's an intermittent short to ground in the wiring.. Had it fixed in about an hour and cost $100. He had all the TSBs that told him exactly where to look for the wire that was rubbing and shorting out.

Last edited by Labonte18; 11-29-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive