U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

16,729 posts, read 17,874,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaboogie View Post
Thank you for the responses, these are very helpful. So I'm not handy and cannot do any maintenance myself, sadly. So would you all recommend just finding a reputable mechanic to do the work? I usually take the car to the dealer for servicing, so it would stay qualified under the 10 year/100,000 mile Hyundai warranty. But I cannot afford to do this servicing at a $950 price point. How would I find a reputable mechanic to get this servicing done? Look on Yelp? Thank you again.
You are not required to go to a dealer to do the required services to maintain warranty. As long as you can prove the work was done thr6 canít deny warranty.

Usually the best mechanics never advertise and they are rarely on yelp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

3,540 posts, read 1,201,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Usually the best mechanics never advertise and they are rarely on yelp.
Yelp is not opt-in. Why would good mechanics not have reviews there?

Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yelp is not opt-in. Why would good mechanics not have reviews there?
I didnít say they wouldnít have good reviews if they were on yelp. I just know a few mechanics that you canít find on Yelp. And they have customers lined out the door.

I have a mechanic that unless someone tells you he does no advertising. You will not find him on Yelp. He works on big rigs and on customer referrals only. His shop is packed full. I have never been able to find him on Yelp. I dont think he even knows or cares about yelp.
My last mechanic (retired) same thing. No advertising. Even his shop was a small shop. You had to know where it was.

There is a mechanic near me that I use and he does have a yelp account now. Very fair prices great work.

Old Today, 08:22 AM

8,056 posts, read 7,377,960 times
There is likely a facebook group you should join. Its a local buy/sell group. Just ask there. You WILL see a pattern. 100 people will answer and 30 of them will all agree on one guy. THAT is the guy.

Old Today, 08:37 AM

1,777 posts, read 612,501 times
Sure is a lot to keep an old Hyundai on the road. Sell or trade that throw away car for a new or newer one. Preferably something other than a Hyundai or KIA

Old Today, 10:29 AM

8,056 posts, read 7,377,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Sure is a lot to keep an old Hyundai on the road. Sell or trade that throw away car for a new or newer one. Preferably something other than a Hyundai or KIA
Amen. EVERYTHING is from the dealer. Worst car buy of my life.

People laugh at my Ford but I can get parts off Ebay then have my 15 year old son install them for me when I am too busy.

Old Today, 12:00 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,151,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaboogie View Post
I have a 2009 Hyundai Elantra and its in great condition. I've never had an issue with my car and take very good care of it. I'm right around 86,500 miles and I need to bring the car in for servicing. Every dealership in my city (Sacramento) said since the car is coming up on a milestone servicing, its best to do the 90K servicing at this time. However, the top tier servicing will cost me $950! I can opt to do the middle of the road servicing, but this will cost $650! I'm not working and need a more affordable option to service my car.

Does this servicing really cost this much for an almost 10 year old Elantra in great condition? This seems excessive to me. I took a screen shot of the recommended servicing from Hyundai's website. TIA.
Call a few local shops and ask how much they charge for a 90K service on your car. They will be cheaper than a dealership and look for google/ yelp reviews.

Old Today, 01:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 6,047,597 times
Quote:

That's why you always hear about dead ones with a snapped timing belt and crunched engine. Nobody wants to do a $1,000 timing belt/water pump plus all the other service on a $4,000 car. The car gets sold and there is no record that the timing belt replacement wasn't done. Eventually, you end up with a $4,000 car that needs a $4,000 engine swap so it's hauled off the the junk yard.

Old Today, 07:50 PM

Quote:
It really isn’t. It doesn’t cost any more to do a Kia or say a Honda timing belt. You really think the timing belt is that much cheaper on a Honda? Or a Toyota? The maintenance cost is gong to be close enough that truthfully it won’t make any difference.

I owned two Kias. Both have been exemplary reliable. One was bought new one was bought used. The used one is my current daily driver. It’s a 2007. Purchased with 108,000 has 138,000. In one year and the year isn’t over. All I’ve done in the year I owned it
New tires after driving 20,000 miles on the tires it was bought with. $250 after they road hazard warrantee the old tires.
New shocks and struts all around $260
New brakes all around. 180
Oil and filter change (every 2 months) filters were OEM bought on clearance $1 each.
Oil Walmart supertech synthetic
One transmission fluid drain and fill (factory SPIII)
Car is driven every day 127 miles round trip. Has been reliable, starts and gets me there and home. Gonna replace the upper radiator hose simply duecto mileage since it’s original and thosexare the ones that pop. Already bought it. Clearance $12 shipped.

So say maybe 1000 bucks. This was all done after I already drove about 20,000 miles. The guy I got it from did the brakes at 80,000 along with the major service. It has a timing chain not a belt.
Either way Kias are pretty reliable cars. At least it’s been my experience after owning two. I’m waiting for Genesis to come out with a SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Amen. EVERYTHING is from the dealer. Worst car buy of my life.

People laugh at my Ford but I can get parts off Ebay then have my 15 year old son install them for me when I am too busy.
You can get cheap parts for pretty much any run of the mill commuter car. Most of the Ebay parts are junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's why you always hear about dead ones with a snapped timing belt and crunched engine. Nobody wants to do a $1,000 timing belt/water pump plus all the other service on a $4,000 car. The car gets sold and there is no record that the timing belt replacement wasn't done. Eventually, you end up with a $4,000 car that needs a $4,000 engine swap so it's hauled off the the junk yard.
But not maintaining the vehicle isn’t the cars or the manufacturers fault. Most people who care for their cars will spend the money to fix them. I’ve driven most of my cars to 200,000 miles with very few issues. I usually sell at about that mileage because by then I’m looking at something newer. Not because its a pile. I just put new cats and tires on my wife’s suv. Cats were $1200, the tires were a road hazard and they prorated them so it was $360 but that included all four new tire sensors.
I couldn’t buy as solid a car as I still have for the cost of the repairs. It’s $1500. What can I buy for $1500? That’s not even enough for a deposit. And car wouldn’t pass smog without the cats so I wouldn’t get more than maybe 2000 bucks. Hell the drivetrain is worth that. So $3500....I guess I could buy some beat up pile of salvaged on its tenth owner crap pile

Last edited by Electrician4you; Today at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive