Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2018, 08:18 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Everyone has to act like a expert on here who by just looking at a picture knows exactly what it will and will not do, and yes it’s a body on frame but some on here don’t believe it and want proof. Hers a answer fo you wait till they hit the showroom and find out for yourself then you will know.
All Wranglers are body on frame and solid front and rear axles with recirculating ball steering so it's not a stretch to say a pickup that looks identical to a Wrangler is any different. They even give you dedicated Aux switches that are prewired to hook up to whatever you want, the interior is water proof, and it comes standard with skid plates to protect vital undercarriage components. It's a Wrangler with a truck bed.

It's quite possibly more rugged than most full size trucks these days let alone compacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I think he's misunderstand and looking at the pictures wrong, that feature isn't mentioned or shown on the link he provided, nor have I seen it mentioned anywhere.
I think you're right actually. That's the tonneau cover not the bed. Either way the entire rear window and side pillars are removable and the seats drop down. With a solid load bearing tonneau cover you can extend all the way to the front seats. (I'm thinking like kayaks and stuff)

Old 12-01-2018, 08:27 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post

Just as I thought, no mention or picture of a "removable bulkhead". However, with the tailgate at half-open, a 4X8 sheet of plywood or OSB can be loaded and carried.
I still have no intention of buying any NEW vehicle, though.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Well let's work this out logically and it's clear that it's not a this or that issue.

If my DD is a jeep wrangler and I drive 1k miles/month (which is pretty standard), that means I'm putting on 12k miles per year on the road on my jeep. It would take some serious free time to be able to accumulate 1k per month in off-roading miles, especially when you spend a lot of that time crawling at 10-30mph. If I do an offroading trip on the weekend, say up a trail here in Arizona, we're talking about a 25-100 mile trip (with a portion of that being on road to get to the trail). If I do that 4x/month, that's only 100-400 miles each month before we subtract the mileage getting to the trail. So no matter what, of course the majority of your miles are going to be on the road.

See how this works?
10-30 mph isn’t crawling in some of the desert and mountain prime jeeping areas. I walk faster than them on some stretches...

Old 12-01-2018, 09:57 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'm willing to bet that doesn't help if you are hauling plywood.
Exactly. More bed space means ALL in the bed, not partly sitting on carpet or seatbacks.

At least plywood is dry and sorta clean. Other long items might not be things you want inside a cab.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Exactly. More bed space means ALL in the bed, not partly sitting on carpet or seatbacks.

At least plywood is dry and sorta clean. Other long items might not be things you want inside a cab.
What are you dragging home dead horses or something?
If you don't want a compact pickup then get something else.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
What is the obsession with hauling plywood? Unless you are a roofer or some type of flooring contractor why would you care?
It's 4' x 8'. A standard 8' pickup bed allows you to load the plywood and put up the tailgate to keep it from sliding out.

What is the obsession with 4 doors, anyway? Does everyone have to haul Grandma and all the grandkids to the supermarket? If you need a crummy, buy a Suburban. Use the pickup for hauling stuff, like hay, building materials, firewood, and all the other things that make owning a pickup necessary.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
It's 4' x 8'. A standard 8' pickup bed allows you to load the plywood and put up the tailgate to keep it from sliding out.

What is the obsession with 4 doors, anyway? Does everyone have to haul Grandma and all the grandkids to the supermarket? If you need a crummy, buy a Suburban. Use the pickup for hauling stuff, like hay, building materials, firewood, and all the other things that make owning a pickup necessary.
Common misconception. You don't need to be a farmer or a builder to own a pickup truck.

Why buy a 2 door anything when a 4 door pickup can haul 99% of an average suburban household and their stuff? Even if you are a contractor, do you build houses alone with no crew?

Otherwise you're advocating one 2 door truck just for hauling yourself and some occasional plywood, then some dedicated 4 door vehicle just for moving people. There's a reason the two door version of pretty much everything is going extinct.

I've never needed to haul plywood my entire life. If that day ever comes, I'll rent Home Depot's F-250 flatbed to haul it home or pay somebody else to do it.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
All Wranglers are body on frame and solid front and rear axles with recirculating ball steering so it's not a stretch to say a pickup that looks identical to a Wrangler is any different. They even give you dedicated Aux switches that are prewired to hook up to whatever you want, the interior is water proof, and it comes standard with skid plates to protect vital undercarriage components. It's a Wrangler with a truck bed.

It's quite possibly more rugged than most full size trucks these days let alone compacts.
About the only thing more “rugged” about a Wrangler is the solid front axle. That’s it. No other truck in that class size/price offers it anymore. You would need to move to a full size truck or maybe Range Rover. And truthfully about the only time a solid axle has some advantage is off road/off camber situations. IFS on most vehicles is more than adequate for most off road situations. Solid axles don’t ride anywhere near as smooth as IFS.
Most 4x4 trucks come with skid plates for T case and Trans or gas tank/vulnerable areas.
My IFS dodge had them. But solid axles are less prone to breakage off road. Granted it depends how you off-road. There are always solid axle swaps. Considering 99% of miles on a vehicle are on typical paved roads IFS is overall the better suspension.

Quote:
Common misconception. You don't need to be a farmer or a builder to own a pickup truck.

Why buy a 2 door anything when a 4 door pickup can haul 99% of an average suburban household and their stuff? Even if you are a contractor, do you build houses alone with no crew?

Otherwise you're advocating one 2 door truck just for hauling yourself and some occasional plywood, then some dedicated 4 door vehicle just for moving people. There's a reason the two door version of pretty much everything is going extinct.

I've never needed to haul plywood my entire life. If that day ever comes, I'll rent Home Depot's F-250 flatbed to haul it home or pay somebody else to do it.
Most contractors do not carry a crew with them. Most workers are expected to either show up or they drive company trucks to job sites. Most construction company owned trucks are standard cab long beds. Sometimes with service beds. Problem with 4 door trucks with long beds....it’s a long damn truck to park.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 12-01-2018 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-01-2018, 03:04 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
What is the obsession with 4 doors, anyway? Does everyone have to haul Grandma and all the grandkids to the supermarket?
Yep.

My neighbor got a full size 4 door with 6' bed. Needed the 4 doors as grand kids visit once per year for 4 days.

99.9% it's just the one guy driving. Bed virtually never used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive