Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 12:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
How good of a battery do you need? The battery in the Tesla Model 3 can go 310 miles on a single charge.
Hyper milers got 600 miles out of an S - and it's well known that the batteries are always improving. Of course, it takes years to go from lab to Gigafactory.

With cars, even a tiny percentage improvement is big time. IC car engines are not even 30% efficient, but they used to be 22 or less. Hybrids and atkinson cycle and computers are helping them to get better efficiency.

My large hybrid sedan gets 42.5 city and highway combined...at least double what a similar IC of a decade ago got.

Tesla isn't talking but reportedly they have increased their efficiencies and lowered their costs:
https://electrek.co/2018/06/09/tesla...breakthroughs/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 12:38 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Tesla isn't talking but reportedly they have increased their efficiencies...
Battery tech is up against some hard physical/chemical limits. Only a major breakthrough is going to change anything by more than single-digit percenta ges at this point.

Perhaps they should try Learium.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:24 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
That kind of milage depends on all the variables lining up just right, I doubt that in the dead of winter your going to get that kind of milage. its a known fact that cold weather is hard on car batteries.
What’s your point? My point was that really good batteries that provide excellent performance and range are already available. Splitting hairs over a bit of range loss under certain conditions doesn’t underscore this point.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
What’s your point? My point was that really good batteries that provide excellent performance and range are already available. Splitting hairs over a bit of range loss under certain conditions doesn’t underscore this point.
The anti-EV crowd is absolutely obsessed with the horror of a vehicle they can't drive 600 miles without a pee break. And also with the bizarre notion that everyone will be made to drive them.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The anti-EV crowd is absolutely obsessed with the horror of a vehicle they can't drive 600 miles without a pee break. And also with the bizarre notion that everyone will be made to drive them.
Well the truth for me is that after driving one I have ZERO desire to ever go back. I’d compare it to the switch from a flip phone to an I-phone...it has taken the entire car and driving experience to another level.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Well the truth for me is that after driving one I have ZERO desire to ever go back. I’d compare it to the switch from a flip phone to an I-phone...it has taken the entire car and driving experience to another level.
If you say so. Four wheels; engine; drives; has AC and a radio... *shrug* You could say the same thing about going from a commute sedan to any sportier car, too.

But the arguments against are so hilariously simplistic and tangential to reality that I see a sticky ban on the topic coming soon.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:51 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Our local Porsche dealer was 30 who put down $2500 ea for the new Taycan (4th quarter with a 2020 designation) but none for the Turismo version probably due in 2021. I’m in a wait-and-see mode....wait-and-see how the pricing works out, wait-and-see how my money works out, wait-and-see how the market develops and wait-and-see how these vehicles perform.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:51 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
I like them too, but will never have only EVs.
Powertrains are like watch movements. I have 4 different types of watches... quartz, kinetic, automatic and wind up.
Plusses and minuses to each, but I tend to wear the automatics the most.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:16 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
Sorry that comparison doesn't fly as there are at least 4 gas stations within a 1/4 mile in most towns and cities.
Well, you kind of have to have gas stations on every corner, because you can't fill your gas tank at home every night and start out each day with a "full tank" like you do in an EV.

Over 60% of households have 2 or more cars already, which means that one of them could be an EV for commuting with, and the other a gas car for the occasional long trip. 60% of households is close to 100 MILLION cars. Any manufacturer that could sell to even ONE PERCENT of that market would be considered a success. In fact, of our total automotive market, it would be hard for any manufacturer to even MAKE enough EVs to replace even 1% of it.

EVs area tool for a job. if you don't need that job done, don't buy that tool. F350s have a hard time with autocrossing and VW Golfs have a hard time towing a 4 horse trailer, yet both are viable choices in the marketplace. Why be so anti-EV? I love starting out with a full tank every day and not having to plan a stop at a gas station for commuting.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I like them too, but will never have only EVs.
Powertrains are like watch movements. I have 4 different types of watches... quartz, kinetic, automatic and wind up.
Plusses and minuses to each, but I tend to wear the automatics the most.
We have one car and it’s an EV and that’s the way it will be. Still have my motorcycle though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive