Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 05:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
GM was building some of the best trucks ever made. The 1999 through 2006 Silverado and Sierra are almost bullet proof. Mine has almost 500,000 miles on it and it is my daily driver. I also have a Tahoe with around 240,000 that has been excellent. Now the NBS 2007 Tahoe I had was a POS. The Trailblazer we had was a POS. My brother had a malibu that was a POS. They insist on putting that crap active fuel managment on everything and it sucks so we no longer buy GM vehicles. I am going with Toyota. They have manufacturing plants here and somehow they can keep their quality high. Chrysler has always been and still is crap. I will never own one of their products. Ford has screwed most everything they make up with the eco engines. They even screwed their diesel powerstroke engines up and they used to be incredibly reliable and long lasting.

They produce cars and trucks and soon become aware of widespread issues. What do they do? They try to deflect until the warranty period runs out and then it is the owners problem. I had my fill of it and will no longer support them. As far as I am concerned, all three can go bankrupt.

They started putting Active Fuel Management on the corvettes now too, including the Z06. Can you believe they even put it on the Z06? It has had all sorts of issues too since it is the same junk AFM on the trucks and some cars. Who the hell buys a Z06 and wants something that increases the fuel mileage very minimally if at all and the trade off is less horsepower due to the special cam, lifters and tuning? Whoever made the call to put that crap on the Vettes is an absolute idiot.
When GM learns of a problem they just sweep it under a rug. They did this with their bad intake gaskets and they did it with their oil burning 2.4 ecotec engines. The blow the problem off as “normal” until the warranty expires and then tell you you’re SOL.

At least with Toyota if something is a common enough problem they will offer to extend the warranty on it, because they know it makes a loyal customer. My Tacoma is 11 years old with over 106k miles on it, yet Toyota just replaced all three of my universal joints free of charge under a warranty extension. The big 3 would never do that.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 12-03-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 07:10 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
When GM learns of a problem they just sweep it under a rug. They did this with their bad intake gaskets and they did it with their oil burning 2.4 ecotec engines. The blow the problem off as “normal” until the warranty expires and then tell you you’re SOL.

At least with Toyota if something is a common enough problem they will offer to extend the warranty on it, because they know it makes a loyal customer. My Tacoma is 11 years old with over 106k miles on it, yet Toyota just replaced all three of my universal joints free of charge under a warranty extension. The big 3 would never do that.
It only took a class action law suit, but sure, they made it right.
They all do the same things, to think they don't is just being niave.

https://www-autoblog-com.cdn.ampproj...rom%20%251%24s

Old 12-03-2018, 07:18 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
The big 3 would never do that.
My wife's diesel Cruze has emission components that have had the warranties extended by GM to 125K miles, including the most expensive component, the DEF tank.

So, never say never...

Old 12-03-2018, 07:26 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
My wife's diesel Cruze has emission components that have had the warranties extended by GM to 125K miles, including the most expensive component, the DEF tank.

So, never say never...
GM trucks with the LB7 Duramax diesel had an extended warranty on the injectors for 10 years because they were known to have a flawed design.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:26 PM

18 posts, read 41,519 times
I think I forgot: It is time for the Big Three to collude with the government to kick ALL foreign automakers OUT of America!!! But that isn't far enough. Both parties should literally CRUSH all foreign cars AT THE OWNER'S EXPENSE!!! If you are one of the unfortunate souls in this country to have fallen for a hybrid, you will have it the worst. If both the Big Three and the government collude to crush all foreign cars at the owner's expense (the ENTIRE MSRP of the vehicle), hybrid owners should face an EXTRA $7500 charge ON TOP of the car's purchase price!!!

If you want to continue to ignore my points as the original poster, here's an idea: PACK YOUR BAGS, AND MOVE TO JAPAN/KOREA!!! American cars are NOT unreliable, AS LONG as you keep on top of maintenance!!!

Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Don't make me laugh. The wife and I have had multiple Toyota's, and we've, for the most part, been very happy with them, but they have had their share of screw-ups over the years.

Remember the engine sludge debacle of the mid-2000s? Toyota sure didn't offer to extend the warranty on that one. They instead said it was the customer's fault, until the lawsuit hit.

Truck and SUV frame rot, also took a lawsuit to get Toyota to make it right.

Oil consumption? There's another lawsuit. Toyota made it right, only afterward.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateCA View Post
I think I forgot: It is time for the Big Three to collude with the government to kick ALL foreign automakers OUT of America!!! But that isn't far enough. Both parties should literally CRUSH all foreign cars AT THE OWNER'S EXPENSE!!! If you are one of the unfortunate souls in this country to have fallen for a hybrid, you will have it the worst. If both the Big Three and the government collude to crush all foreign cars at the owner's expense (the ENTIRE MSRP of the vehicle), hybrid owners should face an EXTRA $7500 charge ON TOP of the car's purchase price!!!

If you want to continue to ignore my points as the original poster, here's an idea: PACK YOUR BAGS, AND MOVE TO JAPAN/KOREA!!! American cars are NOT unreliable, AS LONG as you keep on top of maintenance!!!
If you're seriously trying to help the American automakers, you aren't doing a very good job.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:43 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
1. Build all cars offshore
2. Market them to the third world
3. Forget about electric and self-drive.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:51 PM

155 posts, read 125,906 times
This thread sure is pushing some buttons.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:04 PM

496 posts, read 445,958 times
I want to know what about those of us who LIKE sedans? Where do we go? My first car was a sedan and I'd like another. But it's getting to where there will soon be no choice. I never liked the Blazer that much, or the Equinox, Escape, etc. I'd rather have a minivan, that has more versatility. But everyone says "eew, you can't drive a minivan, those are ugly." And fewer and fewer are being made these days. And I don't even get the disdain for minivans honestly, I'd rather have one than most of these new vehicles. You can get a way nicer minivan for the price of most other vehicles, and it can haul way more cargo also.

If I was getting an SUV I'd really prefer something like a Tahoe or an Explorer. A true 3 row SUV. I just like them better than the little SUVs. But they're too expensive and not fuel efficient like a sedan. To me the small SUV was what people got when they really wanted the full size SUV but couldn't go for it at the moment. It was usually the one they had before they traded up to an Expedition or Tahoe.

I wouldn't mind a crew cab truck. But 1 they're big and 2 they are very expensive and you can get a very well equipped sedan for much less than a truck with similar option and trim level. And again, the fuel issue. So again, that puts them out of the running.

So that puts me in the predicament where I either have to buy a CUV or small SUV that I have no interest in driving or owning, or try to find a mid size sedan in the ever shrinking sedan segment. Or find a minivan in the also ever shrinking segment which also comes with that ridiculous stigma that it's an "eew, minivan".

It's not such a big deal now, as there are still a number of sedans being made for the immediate time being, and used ones should be around for a few more years. But it will eventually become an issue to find a decent one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive