Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 07:34 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times

Advertisements

Isn't his just outsourcing your cars? You might as well just put out an RFP and hand the blueprints to the lowest bidder. Why have factories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 07:58 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,414,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Isn't his just outsourcing your cars? You might as well just put out an RFP and hand the blueprints to the lowest bidder. Why have factories?
And that’s why VW is doing this to keep you all second guessing the worlds largest automaker.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:06 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
VW should just disguise their cars as Fords so people will buy them.
That's how FCA sells Fiats. They masquerade as Jeeps.
You do realize that VW sells approximately 66% more vehicles per year than Ford right? Last year alone, they sold 4 million more vehicles than Ford.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:31 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
could VW and Ford build share the Ranger Platform and make some really good Turbo diesel engines?

Old 12-07-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
could VW and Ford build share the Ranger Platform and make some really good Turbo diesel engines?
VW will not share the new Ranger Truck platform VW wants to use Ford’s extra capacity to build their own vehicles no sharing a platform together like Ford/ Mazda. Here we go everyone jumping to conclusions that they are joining forces to build vehicles together that didn’t take long.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:05 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,337,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Wouldn't be necessary. VW already has a mid-size pickup, the Amarok, which it has looked at bringing to the US and Canada in the near future.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:39 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
VW will not share the new Ranger Truck platform VW wants to use Ford’s extra capacity to build their own vehicles no sharing a platform together like Ford/ Mazda. Here we go everyone jumping to conclusions that they are joining forces to build vehicles together that didn’t take long.

That's what I asked earlier. So, from this I assume it will not be the same as Chrysler building VW vans.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:23 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The Routan was a Chrysler minivan with slight restyling and (in some years) a VW engine. It also had dismal sales, hitting about a quarter of projections.

These kind of blended vehicles don't tend to have spectacular sales or mean much to the assembly contractor except keeping a few production lines running. I can't see Ford doing much more than collecting a paycheck for doing the same - yeah, it's jobs and so forth, but about as close to McJobs as it gets in that industry.
Wouldn't be the worst play for Ford. They have a lot of idle powertrain and assembly capacity and there is no reason why they couldn't become a contract manufacturer. I've never understood why, in this day and age, any automaker would want to make their own product and deal with the labor headaches associated with it. They can easily contract out the whole assembly.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Wouldn't be the worst play for Ford. They have a lot of idle powertrain and assembly capacity and there is no reason why they couldn't become a contract manufacturer. I've never understood why, in this day and age, any automaker would want to make their own product and deal with the labor headaches associated with it. They can easily contract out the whole assembly.
Can’t do that they have labor contracts with the UAW. Apparently you don’t understand how labor contracts work. I guess you’re young and don’t understand how the automotive industry works.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:03 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Can’t do that they have labor contracts with the UAW. Apparently you don’t understand how labor contracts work. I guess you’re young and don’t understand how the automotive industry works.
Yeah - I'm 'young'. I spent almost 30 years working for GM, Ford, Toyota, Land Rover, Nissan, and others. So I obviously know nothing about that industry.

UAW contracts are up for renewal every 4 years. Ford's ends in September of 2019. They could easily add in the VW work, or decide not to.

Ford could also say that they are making a break from the UAW and contracting things out. They could do a lot of things. The UAW doesn't have near the power they once did, and business models are changing. From what I saw the UAW as an organization never did a single thing for the manufacturers so seeing them go would be no loss. They have a lot of good members, people I've worked on the line with, but as a whole I'd shed the UAW organization like a dead skin if it was up to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive