Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 PM

88 posts, read 319,182 times

Advertisements

try mercury insurance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 23,966 times
Default Geico

A friend of mine works for Geico and they are doing a friends and family promotion right now. I just got a quote from them and it's actually alot cheaper than what I am paying at Allstate. I am pretty sure I am going to switch I just need to make sure all the benefits weight out. But anyways my friend gave me their promotion code which is 135093 and the phone number is 1-800-342-9070. Just use this number and you will get a better quote than if you get it off the street. Thought I would just share since it worked for me.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
I've had GEICO for many years, my son was in an accident and they jumped right on it.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:49 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Wow! Thanks everybody. I am a retired military vet, and will tear up my GEICO renewal check to be re-written to another company. Glass coverage used to be a courtesy pay without deductable withdraw. And, I need REAL insurance that will actually pay if needed, not just to keep my driver's license. Sure appreciate all this info on my very serious dilemma.
Why are you not with USAA? They are the best in rates and service. You certainly are qualified, and I think $2400 is outrageously high. We have two cars and we pay about $1200 per year or less, unless you have a very young driver on your policy...

Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntyler View Post
A friend of mine works for Geico and they are doing a friends and family promotion right now. Just use this number and you will get a better quote than if you get it off the street. Thought I would just share since it worked for me.
Just remember, if you do have an accident, having cheap insurance like Geico may come back to haunt you.

In my personal situation, a Geico policyholder hit me and Geico "assessed" a portion of the liability upon me, even though their insured was ticketed and i was not. To add insult to injury, their damage appraisal was 30% lower than the 2 shop estimates that i obtained(all 3 appraisals were identical with regard to what needed to be repaired).

So, when your faced with this type of situation and you don't have collision coverage on your damaged vehicle, what do you do?
In my state, the only recourse is to file suit in this situation. The person that hit me is probably still paying significant insurance premiums(to some company), in large part because Geico wouldn't deal fairly and forced me to file suit. Lawyers co$t money. Think about it.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,622 times
I have had GEICO for years, great service. One accident the NIGHT AFTER I insured my 65 Mustang after a long restoration period. Hit a deer, $250.00 comp deductible, they paid within 2 or 3 days, I did all the work so it was pretty much a wash, no complaints.

I'm staying with them, polite and good customer service skills. They underwrite my home and boat insurance through Travelers, no problems there either and I have used the home portion.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,421 times
My wife is in insurance, but not with Geico, and she chose Geico for us. On one claim, the other person who hit me also had Geico, and the check was in the mail the day I faxed them the repair estimate. (Hey, I live in rural Alaska, and the nearest shop of theirs is 70 miles away, so I had to do the leg work and get estimates from two shops.)

In the other claim, a snow plow threw a rock into my wife's windshield and gave it a little crack. We were to take it to the glass repair shop and our appointment was two days later. In the meantime, my son swatted a mosquito on the windshield and finished breaking, and they replace the entire thing, no questions asked.

Of course we both have stellar driving records, which helps, but even with the incredibly high insurance rates here, ours is less than $100 per month, and we have 3 vehicles insured, one with comprehensive.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Personally, I would NEVER support a "financial" company that chooses such ridiculous anal commercials to market their product.

This may sound a little shallow, however, an Insurance Company can make or break us in the time of need and the GEICO TV Commercials reflect absolutely no professionalism.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:30 PM

1,827 posts, read 2,588,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Personally, I would NEVER support a "financial" company that chooses such ridiculous anal commercials to market their product.

This may sound a little shallow, however, an Insurance Company can make or break us in the time of need and the GEICO TV Commercials reflect absolutely no professionalism.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

Lighten up Francis, aren't pretty much ALL commercials stupid? The lizard must be working, it has you talking.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:34 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfGold View Post
Lighten up Francis, aren't pretty much ALL commercials stupid? The lizard must be working, it has you talking.
It definitely IS working, Wings . . .

I have chosen another insurance company and avoided GEICO completely.

and, by the way, The Lizard (actually: Gecko) is the least offensive and unprofessional of them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance