U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-06-2008, 02:25 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,844,053 times
Default GEICO Insurance covers nothing?

I switched from Allstate ($2400) to GEICO ($854) annually. Have never had a claim, am 50 years old, retired veteran. Just cracked windshield, GEICO says they don't pay for that. Now, I have found that GEICO doesn't pay if you're on an errand during lunchbreak, like a bank stopover, and have an accident. Is $2400 for Allstate actually a good rate? Cheap GEICO isn't a good deal if they nothing is covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-06-2008, 02:50 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,359,021 times
Why don't they?

Unread 04-06-2008, 03:05 PM

8,501 posts, read 6,161,163 times
As far as the windshield goes...do you have full coverage? If so, whats your comprehensive deductible set at?

As for the second situation...I'm not sure what your trying to say. Is this a business or commerical use policy or just a normal family policy?

Unread 04-06-2008, 03:16 PM

4,504 posts, read 5,569,567 times
Lotta crummy insurance out there . . .

for a full list of the bad ones (and the good) >>>

FBIC Ranks Insurers Payment And Non-Payment Of Claims Records And Bad Faith Practices

the top bad 50 and top good 50 >>>

"FBIC Ranks Insurers Records To Pay Or Deny Legitimate Claims"

It is presently showing Allstate as #3 bad. That is pretty bad.

Geico is #13 bad.

As a side note, Hartford is #1 bad, and let me tell you they are BAD. Criminally bad.

Unread 04-06-2008, 04:36 PM

34,839 posts, read 50,205,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I switched from Allstate ($2400) to GEICO ($854) annually. Have never had a claim, am 50 years old, retired veteran. Just cracked windshield, GEICO says they don't pay for that.
For one, you can pay for 2 or 3 windshields just by virtue of having switched, so don't sweat it. For another, how much is your comprehensive deductible and how much is the windshield repair? Furthermore, was there a chip that you didn't have repaired and then it spread to a full-blown crack? If so, some insurance companies won't pay out for failure to mitigate -- and most will cover chip repair without deductible, for that matter.

Quote:
Now, I have found that GEICO doesn't pay if you're on an errand during lunchbreak, like a bank stopover, and have an accident. Is $2400 for Allstate actually a good rate? Cheap GEICO isn't a good deal if they nothing is covered.
Well, what did you say you were using the vehicle for? Did you tell them it was for business purposes only? If so, then they are under no obligation to insure it for personal use. Be sure they understand the vehicle is also for personal use if you want it insured when you're using it in that manner.

Unread 04-06-2008, 05:04 PM

16,250 posts, read 10,384,831 times
I had a family member that had GEICO back in the 90s and she had a wreck and it was really bad getting them to pay. First they sent a guy to her house who said that the damage was from 2 wrecks and that she would have to pay 2 deductibles and file 2 claims (this was a LIE of course) and when she finally got past that lie, they had her take the car into one of their approved repair shops and then, once it was fixed, they did not pay the shop for 27 days! After 5 days, the shop started charging $10 for each day for storage and she ended up having to pay $200 more for storage charges because GEICO would not pay the claim in a timely manner. I would never do business with them myself.

Unread 04-06-2008, 05:08 PM

624 posts, read 2,571,171 times
It seems to me that all the sucky companies have to advertise like crazy just to keep up because of all the people who leave them...also, most people who go with them probably just see the commercials and think they will get a deal-not truly comparing insurers. The cute, talking lizard reels them in! haha

Unread 04-06-2008, 05:09 PM

10,428 posts, read 26,069,460 times
All insurance companies have more "wiggle out" clauses then you can shake a stick at. They are covering less and less these days.

Oh but dont be late paying your monthly premiim or they will be threatening your life.

Unread 04-06-2008, 06:05 PM

488 posts, read 1,001,684 times
Quote:
I switched from Allstate ($2400) to GEICO ($854) annually. Have never had a claim, am 50 years old, retired veteran. Just cracked windshield, GEICO says they don't pay for that. Now, I have found that GEICO doesn't pay if you're on an errand during lunchbreak, like a bank stopover, and have an accident. Is $2400 for Allstate actually a good rate? Cheap GEICO isn't a good deal if they nothing is covered.
while insurance rates are going to be very different for people in different areas and situations, $2400 sounds incredibly high to me.

I pay $600 for two vehicles with $250 deductible and $500,000 limits. This is for personal use, not commercial.

Unread 04-06-2008, 07:31 PM

7,535 posts, read 13,992,621 times
Quote:
I agree, ESFP

While insurance shopping a few years ago, my research revealed way too many "catches" with GEICO coverage (not to mention super stupid commercials). I ended up with The Hartford who were offering comparable rates with better coverage overall and for next to nothing additional they will add full glass coverage.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive