U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 03:40 PM

8,566 posts, read 6,313,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Like i said go get a pressure check stop guessing get it fixed the right way donít Mickey Mouse it.
I've never really looked, but I'm not sure a pressure test would show leaking from the pump shaft in that case. Not knocking your thought here, because it is right.. But.. Just got me thinking based on the quote you included.. Makes it sound like a pressure test would show the water pump leaking, and.. That seal may hold under pressure, but leak while spinning.

Not sure if you were meaning to say it would, or if the quote was just a random quote that talked about the weep hole.. I've just never thought to pressure test and see if something came out of the weep hole at that time. I've always just seen the evidence at the weep hole and.. Ok.. Replace the pump. Pressure test it afterwards to make sure there are no other leaks..

But.. Actually a question I don't know the answer to. Would a pressure test show the water pump leaking? And if so, would it RELIABLY show that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 05:14 PM

772 posts, read 2,153,001 times
OP says he's trying to keep costs down so here are some free things. It could well be just a loose hose clamp, especially since really cold weather has just started in many places, so check the tightness of all the hoses. If they are spring clamps then obv. you can't tighten. Then check car at night with a flashlight maybe an hour after the car has been running and things have cooled down. Look for anything wet. You can feel under the hose connection and feel if they are wet, but not when hot of course. The engine bay should be dry, but coolant is relatively slow to evaporate. Eventually it does evaporate if the leak is small, so check all your hose connections, water pump, splash shields, radiator for kind of the white powder which is coolant residue. But maybe the first thing to do is to clean the engine bay a bit. Things are a lot easier to see in a clean bay. All of this is free so that's where I'd start if it's not some monster leak.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:34 PM

3,221 posts, read 865,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
OP says he's trying to keep costs down so here are some free things. It could well be just a loose hose clamp, especially since really cold weather has just started in many places, so check the tightness of all the hoses. If they are spring clamps then obv. you can't tighten. Then check car at night with a flashlight maybe an hour after the car has been running and things have cooled down. Look for anything wet. You can feel under the hose connection and feel if they are wet, but not when hot of course. The engine bay should be dry, but coolant is relatively slow to evaporate. Eventually it does evaporate if the leak is small, so check all your hose connections, water pump, splash shields, radiator for kind of the white powder which is coolant residue. But maybe the first thing to do is to clean the engine bay a bit. Things are a lot easier to see in a clean bay. All of this is free so that's where I'd start if it's not some monster leak.
Trying to keep cost down will only make it more expensive when the leak causes more damage. Being cheap on your vehicles cooling system is a good way to wrap a head or crack a head.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:44 PM

1,346 posts, read 857,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates123456789 View Post
Its a 95 inifiniti q45, 70k mileage, garage kept. Always drove and took care of it. I just looked again to make sure. There are no leaks under the rad, the thermostat, the hoses connected to rad. 0 seeable leak in the front end of the vehicle. I see a small amount of coolant, not collant with oil, just coolant by the belts or somewhere in that region or higher up and i just cant spot the leak or is there a defective part that would cause this problem?
Sounds like the weep hole in the water pump is doing its job - that is, weeping as a warning that a bearing or seal in the water pump is about to fail.

The pump on the Q45 sits above the belts.

Last edited by WoodburyWoody; 12-12-2018 at 11:43 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 04:19 AM

[quote=Labonte18;53868872]I've never really looked, but I'm not sure a pressure test would show leaking from the pump shaft in that case. Not knocking your thought here, because it is right.. But.. Just got me thinking based on the quote you included.. Makes it sound like a pressure test would show the water pump leaking, and.. That seal may hold under pressure, but leak while spinning.

Not sure if you were meaning to say it would, or if the quote was just a random quote that talked about the weep hole.. I've just never thought to pressure test and see if something came out of the weep hole at that time. I've always just seen the evidence at the weep hole and.. Ok.. Replace the pump. Pressure test it afterwards to make sure there are no other leaks..

But.. Actually a question I don't know the answer to. Would a pressure test show the water pump leaking? And if so, would it RELIABLY show that?[/QUOT

If youíre water pump was leaking there would be a small puddle under the vehicle right under weíre the water pump is located it would smell like antifreeze if you stuck your finger in the puddle and held it up to your nose. A cooling system is a closed system and any leaks will be found under a pressure check.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
If youíre water pump was leaking there would be a small puddle under the vehicle right under weíre the water pump is located it would smell like antifreeze if you stuck your finger in the puddle and held it up to your nose. A cooling system is a closed system and any leaks will be found under a pressure check.

But.. The question is.. Will a pressure test show the leak on a water pump?

Just for example, a situation that likely would never happen. Vehicle has been sitting with fluids drained for an extended period.

You fill up the cooling system. Car is not running. You pressure test the cooling system. Are you, without question, going to see coolant coming from the weep hole?

In general, coolant won't leak past the seal on the water pump (or, at least, not certainly) while the pump is not turning. Will a pressure test, without question or at least commonly, push the coolant past the water pump seal, thus causing leakage from the weep hole?

It's something of an academic question. Because.. You look at the weep hole, it's pretty obvious whether the water pump has been leaking. But, whoever mentioned that a pressure test would show where the leak is.. It just got me thinking as to whether that was technically 100% always accurate. Because I don't think you're going to have coolant leaking from the water pump weep hole just from a pressure test. At least not with certainty.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
But.. The question is.. Will a pressure test show the leak on a water pump?

Just for example, a situation that likely would never happen. Vehicle has been sitting with fluids drained for an extended period.

You fill up the cooling system. Car is not running. You pressure test the cooling system. Are you, without question, going to see coolant coming from the weep hole?

In general, coolant won't leak past the seal on the water pump (or, at least, not certainly) while the pump is not turning. Will a pressure test, without question or at least commonly, push the coolant past the water pump seal, thus causing leakage from the weep hole?

It's something of an academic question. Because.. You look at the weep hole, it's pretty obvious whether the water pump has been leaking. But, whoever mentioned that a pressure test would show where the leak is.. It just got me thinking as to whether that was technically 100% always accurate. Because I don't think you're going to have coolant leaking from the water pump weep hole just from a pressure test. At least not with certainty.
If water pump was leaking you would see coolant on the ground either it’s leaking or it’s not leaking. Why so hesitant about taking it in playing the guessing game with only cost you more money. How can any of us tell you what’s wrong without looking at it in person just take the darn vehicle in.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
If water pump was leaking you would see coolant on the ground either itís leaking or itís not leaking. Why so hesitant about taking it in playing the guessing game with only cost you more money. How can any of us tell you whatís wrong without looking at it in person just take the darn vehicle in.

In my experience, the water pump doesn't leak just sitting there. It only leaks when it's running.

Why you see coolant on the ground is because enough has leaked into the pump casing while it was running to leak out while it's sitting.

In my example, the vehicle hasn't been running.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
In my experience, the water pump doesn't leak just sitting there. It only leaks when it's running.

Why you see coolant on the ground is because enough has leaked into the pump casing while it was running to leak out while it's sitting.

In my example, the vehicle hasn't been running.
They leak while sitting were it bolts onto the block.

Last edited by easy62; 12-13-2018 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
They leak while sitting were it bolts onto the block.

If that were always true, there'd be no reason for it to have a weep hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive