U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 AM

4 posts, read 771 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, how are you doing? I have an issue I need to take of. Recently my car with 75,000 miles on it started to leak collant. I didnt see the coolant leaking from the overflow or radiator at all.
The hoses connected to the radiator upper and lower arent leaking aswell. They have basically the same temperature level too. The thermostat seems to be working well. It shows that the car gets to regular temperature. So number (1) Am I analyzing this correctly? Number (2) What other things should I consider or check? Hint: Money is tight I would like to keep the price down as much as possible to fix this bad boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 01:28 AM

4,732 posts, read 1,796,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates123456789 View Post
Hey guys, how are you doing? I have an issue I need to take of. Recently my car with 75,000 miles on it started to leak collant. I didnt see the coolant leaking from the overflow or radiator at all.
The hoses connected to the radiator upper and lower arent leaking aswell. They have basically the same temperature level too. The thermostat seems to be working well. It shows that the car gets to regular temperature. So number (1) Am I analyzing this correctly? Number (2) What other things should I consider or check? Hint: Money is tight I would like to keep the price down as much as possible to fix this bad boy.
Head gasket? Any dried coolant residue on the engine block? Smell it after the car is stopped and engine is still warm?

Old 12-11-2018, 02:22 AM

4 posts, read 771 times
@ parnassia. What smells would I be looking for? Stopped meaning idle or as in car off? I want get this down to brass knuckle. A combined effort will help.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,667 posts, read 51,441,811 times
Coolant in the engine will cause the exhaust to smell sweet, and eventually steam will come out. When I had a similar issue on one car (1997 with 140,000 miles) it turned out to be a leaking radiator. It was hard to find, because it only leaked when running and hot, no drips under it. I ran it until well warmed up then crawled underneath with the engine running and use a flashlight to spot the leak. I got a brand new radiator for $49 online, replaced it in less than an hour.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 AM

8,411 posts, read 6,206,787 times
The smells is pretty unmistakable. But.. Please don't stick your nose in the exhaust. At least not for long.

In general, after a visual inspection turns up no evidence.. Pressure test.

I've had lots of pinhole leaks that you'd never find otherwise. Including one where the head gasket was leaking coolant and it never made it to the ground because it would boil off on the block.

While your thermostat may be working fine.. Doesn't mean it isn't leaking. They're pretty notorious for starting to go at around 100k. Your water pump could be leaking. Not that a pressure test will find that, but.. This is the point of the visual inspection first.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 771 times
Is there a product SAFE for the car to put into the coolant system that might save this engine if its a worse problem then I expected? Whats the process of checking in chronilogical order?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:26 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,397,415 times
What is the year, make, and model? What engine?

Nobody can give much useful advice without this basic info.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:42 AM

4 posts, read 771 times
Its a 95 inifiniti q45, 70k mileage, garage kept. Always drove and took care of it. I just looked again to make sure. There are no leaks under the rad, the thermostat, the hoses connected to rad. 0 seeable leak in the front end of the vehicle. I see a small amount of coolant, not collant with oil, just coolant by the belts or somewhere in that region or higher up and i just cant spot the leak or is there a defective part that would cause this problem?

Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 PM

16,895 posts, read 18,039,525 times
Most likely the water pump weep hole. Does it drip on the ground? Look in the area where the coolant is dripping on the ground. Try to imagine anything that’s in line with the leak in a vertical 3d view. Take a flashlight and find the water pump pulley. It’s usually centralized and it’s usually easy to find. Now look underneath and behind the pulley. There should be a little weep hole in the snout. If you see water leaking or traces of water there that’s your problem.

A bigger issue if you have no leaks but disappearing coolant is a hea gasket.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,667 posts, read 51,441,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates123456789 View Post
Its a 95 inifiniti q45, 70k mileage, garage kept. Always drove and took care of it. I just looked again to make sure. There are no leaks under the rad, the thermostat, the hoses connected to rad. 0 seeable leak in the front end of the vehicle. I see a small amount of coolant, not collant with oil, just coolant by the belts or somewhere in that region or higher up and i just cant spot the leak or is there a defective part that would cause this problem?
That sounds like water pump, and no, I have never found any "leak-fix" additives to work, most will do more harm than good.

On that car, the timing belt should be replaced at 60-90,000 miles. Normally it's a good idea to replace the water pump at the same time. Unfortunately the belt change alone is going to be about $700, but there is some labor savings in doing the water pump at the same time. I know money is tight, but if you have not changed it yet and have the 3.0L or 3.3L, and the belt breaks, it can destroy the engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive