Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 03:46 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I really cant see a man saying, screw the Impala, I want a Traverse instead or a guy trading in their XTS or CT6 for a XT5 CUV.
The bolded word is the issue.
https://driving.ca/hyundai/auto-news...auto-purchases
The buyers and influencers are not men and those buyers and influencers want SUVs/CUVs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 03:47 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Than why did GM get tied of the S10 Chevrolet and S15 gmc. They were not selling plain and simple not because they wanted people to buy full-size pickups because that’s exactly what they were buying instead of the smaller ones why is so hard for people to except that fact, why do they think it was a conspiracy to get people to buy full-size pickups.
GM Dropped pushing the the S-10 and S15 for their upcoming all new updated models in 2003/04 to help the then new Colorado and Canyon Mid-size PU sales and then the S10's replacement

Old 12-13-2018, 03:56 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Quote:
Than why did GM get tied of the S10 Chevrolet and S15 gmc..
Because the 5 cylinder used gas like a 6 and the 4 cylinder used gas like a 5. They were not efficient.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:40 PM

59 posts, read 63,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
That is not true the reason the Ranger got the axe was it's increased price to where in 2011 a Ranger and F150 with comparable options would be about a $2500-$3000 Difference.

So consumers went with more capable F150 instead.

This was partly how I ended up with my F150 in 2004. I went and looked at a Tacoma and others, it didn't make sense for me to pay about the same when I could get a bigger truck with more space available.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:00 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Because the 5 cylinder used gas like a 6 and the 4 cylinder used gas like a 5. They were not efficient.
Excuse me the 5 cylinder was in the original Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon not the S10 or the S15. Man all the wrong information on here is historical. Remember the Colorado and the canyon were out before and are back again. The Colorado and canyon replaced the S 10 and S15.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:54 PM

6,793 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Sedans died out in Europe over 40 years ago to be replaced by hatchbacks. Small sedans just aren't useful to enough people to warrant the endless R&D costs, thin margins and strong competition.

Europe today is dominated by hatchbacks, likewise here in the US I expect us to be dominated by small CUVs.

Sedans didn't die out in Europe...The VW Passat, Audi A4 and Mercedes C series were among the top 10 selling new cars in Germany last year.

Hatchbacks have triumphed among *small* cars because they tend to offer a better size/space equation than sedans.

Of course, one has to recall that in Europe - due to higher prices and lower disposable incomes - the subcompact and sub-subcompact classes are highly significant while in America they're virtually non-factors.

To answer the question asked in the OP - if Ford and GM knew how to make highly reliable, perfectly engineered sedans..they would continue to make and sell them. There's a reason the sedan segment is now basically exclusive to Asian and German car companies. People buy the former because they're seen as reliable, they buy the latter because they are seen as marvels of precision engineering. Domestic American cars don't have a good reputation in comparison.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:49 PM

496 posts, read 445,721 times
I really think I'd like a Fusion or Taurus. I don't get the CUV craze and don't care for many of them. I guess I just prefer a wagon or a regular SUV like a Subaru or Explorer.

I understand they sit up higher, but for the price of them, you can get a better sedan (if they still sold them).

The Ranger was allowed to languish. I mean, look at all of the options they never gave it. (No curtain airbags, no bluetooth, etc) I realize it was meant to be an entry level truck but in 2011 it was really already getting pretty outdated without those things.

The issue with the Taurus/Fusion sounds similar to what GM had with the 2006-2013 Impala vs 2008-2015 Malibu. Everyone bought the Malibu because overall, it was a more modern car that most people just seemed to like better. So GM's flagship sedan was really outclassed by its midsized sibling, that was supposed to be the "inferior car".

Plus the Taurus came out in 2010, and the redesigned Fusion 3 years later. So even though Ford updated the Taurus for that year, it was already 3 years older for the platform.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The bolded word is the issue.
https://driving.ca/hyundai/auto-news...auto-purchases
The buyers and influencers are not men and those buyers and influencers want SUVs/CUVs.
It’s been like that for a while Ford even had a concept Explorer with a mine washer and dryer in the back for soccer moms this was back around 10 years ago.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I really think I'd like a Fusion or Taurus. I don't get the CUV craze and don't care for many of them. I guess I just prefer a wagon or a regular SUV like a Subaru or Explorer.

I understand they sit up higher, but for the price of them, you can get a better sedan (if they still sold them).

The Ranger was allowed to languish. I mean, look at all of the options they never gave it. (No curtain airbags, no bluetooth, etc) I realize it was meant to be an entry level truck but in 2011 it was really already getting pretty outdated without those things.

The issue with the Taurus/Fusion sounds similar to what GM had with the 2006-2013 Impala vs 2008-2015 Malibu. Everyone bought the Malibu because overall, it was a more modern car that most people just seemed to like better. So GM's flagship sedan was really outclassed by its midsized sibling, that was supposed to be the "inferior car".

Plus the Taurus came out in 2010, and the redesigned Fusion 3 years later. So even though Ford updated the Taurus for that year, it was already 3 years older for the platform.
The Ford Taurus has been out since 1986 don’t know we’re you get your information from but it’s wrong. And the Ford Fusion has been out since 2005. If you’re going to post facts about vehicles please post the correct information i know some on here think they know about the automotive industry but in truth they don’t. And as far as the impala it’s been around a long time. 1958–1985, 1994–1996, 2000 to present. And the Malibu 1964–1983, 1997-present.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 AM

496 posts, read 445,721 times
Quote:
The Ford Taurus has been out since 1986 don’t know we’re you get your information from but it’s wrong. And the Ford Fusion has been out since 2005. If you’re going to post facts about vehicles please post the correct information i know some on here think they know about the automotive industry but in truth they don’t. And as far as the impala it’s been around a long time. 1958–1985, 1994–1996, 2000 to present. And the Malibu 1964–1983, 1997-present.
How am I wrong? You just said that the Impala has come and gone twice, and now it will go away a third time and the Malibu was discontinued in 1983 and come back in 1997, which is exactly what I suggested, that American cars come and go yet Toyota made the Corolla since 1966.

And yes the Taurus came out in 1986 but the current body one DID come out in 2010 and the redesigned Fusion DID come out in 2013 and Ford did an update to the Taurus at the time, so how am I wrong?? I wouldn't say I don't know about the auto industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive