Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 03:56 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times

Advertisements

how about the valve core?
ours was not screwed in tight.
lost 2lbs every month.
https://www2.familyhandyman.com/auto...-stem/view-all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 04:40 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
I deal with this now and then. I just air the tire up to about 55 psi and re soap the tire. The leak will usually show up. If the tires have been on the vehicle for awhile, you can have a leak around the bead. Just need to break the bead and re soap the rim and re air the tire for a new seal. This has nothing to do with the tire or rim being defective. It just may need to be resealed. A rim can leak below the bead if it is aluminum as it can corrode typically where the tire has been sealed where it meets the rim. If that happens, you need a new rim, or you can clean out the corroded spot, JB Weld it and sand it down. This will seal it.

Good advice on checking the valve stem and that should show up when the tire is soaped.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:01 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I deal with this now and then. I just air the tire up to about 55 psi and re soap the tire. The leak will usually show up. If the tires have been on the vehicle for awhile, you can have a leak around the bead. Just need to break the bead and re soap the rim and re air the tire for a new seal. This has nothing to do with the tire or rim being defective. It just may need to be resealed. A rim can leak below the bead if it is aluminum as it can corrode typically where the tire has been sealed where it meets the rim. If that happens, you need a new rim, or you can clean out the corroded spot, JB Weld it and sand it down. This will seal it.

Good advice on checking the valve stem and that should show up when the tire is soaped.
Much easier with the tire off the vehicle especially the inside of the tire not hard to jack up vehicle and remove tires.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Add fix a flat or one of those products and be done with it.
No! That stuff is a mess and probably won't fix the problem.

Tiny leaks are near impossible to find, without extreme patients. (is that spelled right? probably not...)

Check the stems...

Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
I had leak like that. Drove me crazy. Tire shop could never find it. Years later I needed new tires. Now I have no leaking issues with my new tires.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
This is why I got one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Perfor...or+automobiles

Old 12-14-2018, 01:53 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have one of those still won’t fix a tire leak only prolong it just get it fixed what’s so hard about taking tire off and taking to tire repair place let them stick tire in a tub of water to look for air bubbles. Wear gloves if you don’t want to get hands dirty no such thing a a unsolved air leak if it’s leaking the water tub will find it I’m thinking many on here have no idea what I’m talking about been doing it since cars had tires.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Inflate tire to normal pressure. Adding more pressure will seal the tire to the rim, and possibly eliminate the leak.

Put the tire and wheel in a water tank and watch for the bubble. Takes time and good eyes, but it will be there.

If you can't find it, pull the tire off the rim and remove the valve stem. Put a tube inside the tire and be done with it.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:37 AM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
No! That stuff is a mess and probably won't fix the problem.

Tiny leaks are near impossible to find, without extreme patients. (is that spelled right? probably not...)

Check the stems...
Stop spreading false rumors. Just follow the directions. I have done it many times and it works fine.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:50 AM

17,583 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Stop spreading false rumors. Just follow the directions. I have done it many times and it works fine.

So does a pair of vice grips on the battery.. Or a bullet in place of a fuse. But you don't leave it like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive