Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 05:59 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I always pull the wheel off before I spray it with a soapy mix to check for leaks. You are correct, you can only check one side (outside, and not very good either) while wheel is mounted on the vehicle.

I don't bother any more, but have also fixed the bead myself. With a little work you can break a bead down. Plenty of lub (soapy water), a 2x4 or 6 up against each side of the tire where it meets the rim, large C clamp and a few minutes of time. Once it's free of the rim, push it down and clean the heck out of the rim where it was leaking. Usually a rough spot that you can easily find. A bit of sandpaper, small polishing wheel, etc. to smooth the rim/bead area, then air the tire up.

In the field when I was in the military, we would fix a flat by using the board method and another vehicle to run up on the board to break down the tire bead on the rim. A jack also worked by placing the wheel up against the truck's bumper and jacking the board into the bead.
That’s to much work just let a tire shop do it with their machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 06:00 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
There are several places around here that fix bent alloy rims. We had my son's rim fixed by such a shop. I think it was about 75 bucks and it was polished and looked as good as new. Almost made me want to do all of them to make them uniformly shiny. That was over two years ago, still doing fine.
That’s great but sometimes it’s cheaper to go to junk yard and get them and not having to leave the car for a couple of hours while they fix it and those type of repair places are very limited depending we’re you’re living.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:43 AM

127 posts, read 95,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Add fix a flat or one of those products and be done with it.

That is what I did when I had a tire with a slow leak. And no, I did not have the tire checked out by a professional within 3 days or 100 miles.

I remember an incident where I needed a flat tire fixed and I told the tire professional I used fix-a-flat (it was either at Discount Tire or Big O Tires); the guy did not care.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:46 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
That is what I did when I had a tire with a slow leak. And no, I did not have the tire checked out by a professional within 3 days or 100 miles.

I remember an incident where I needed a flat tire fixed and I told the tire professional I used fix-a-flat (it was either at Discount Tire or Big O Tires); the guy did not care.
I just got new tires the other day. A sign on the wall there stated that cleaning out fix-a-flat slime would cost an extra $25.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:10 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
It could be the bead/rim seal. If you have ruled-out all the other possible causes.....valve, small punctures/tears.

It may be the bead/rim seal. If so, you can stick a tube into the tire to fix it, as long as the bead/rim
is not totally trashed.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:25 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You can see a bent rim unlike the old steel rims you cannot bend back a alloy rim have to get new rims.
This is news to me - so these "rim repair" shops are only effective for steel wheels?

Old 12-19-2018, 03:15 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
For a couple of years now, my wife's car (2012 Hyundai Sonata) has suffered from very slow leaks in both front tires. You can pump them up, but after six weeks or so, the low-pressure warning comes on. The guy in the tire store wants to be helpful, but he says that when a leak is that small, he can't detect it. The auto dealer says that a possible cure would be to grind the bead (where the tire seals to the rim) which would cost $45 a wheel, but they don't guarantee any success. I'm wondering if there's a way that a rim can develop a microscopic leak, and you just have to replace it if you want a cure. I suppose it's significant that it affects both front wheels, so it's not likely to be a fault in either tire. Any ideas?
Cracked rim or bad seals around the TPMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive