Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 05:52 PM

628 posts, read 838,102 times

Advertisements

Cruise control for me I never used it and never will I would pay money to get a car without it i do not understand why it is included with cars when it is so useless it is not like it automatically moves your car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 08:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
+1 on sun/moonroof. Used it once but in the old car was constantly annoyed by it getting opened by accident (button was next to the overhead light).

Sirius XM is useless for music. Yes, the same repertoire on repeat.

Any feature that requires paid subscription, actually, like all those “assists”.

Different driving modes. Eco is fine but my car also has “sport” and it really doesn’t do anything. You want sporty driving - get a sporty car.

Voice recognition is not totally useless as its misinterpretation has been a steady source of entertainment.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:29 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Many of the posts here explain why I will never buy a new vehicle.
At the present time, my "newest" vehicle is a 2006, my oldest is a 1966.
The RV has a cassette player that often gets used. It also has a 6 disc CD player that doesn't work.
The Jeep has a 6 disc CD changer that gets used frequently. It does not have cruise control, sadly enough.
I had Sirius/XM years ago. When the subscription expired, I did not renew. I was tired of their incessant commercials for themselves.
Many of the features noted in this thread as annoying, my vehicles do not have.
I'm glad.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:49 AM

763 posts, read 379,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
Cruise control for me I never used it and never will I would pay money to get a car without it i do not understand why it is included with cars when it is so useless it is not like it automatically moves your car
How is it not useful? Instead of keeping my foot on the gas on a long Interstate drive, I can just set cruise control to 75 mph and just focus on steering. This only works in areas without heavy traffic. I’m sure people who live in rural areas use cruise control more.

I’m amazed at some of the things people think are useless like roof rails, crusie control, Bluetooth, keyless entry, push to stop/start, etc.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:41 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Most useless is that eco light. I have them all turned off on my vehicles.

My folks have that in their '16 Grand Caravan. All it does is make it more sluggish on the uptake, and it makes the transmission hunt for gears on uphill grades. It did not seem to do anything at all to benefit fuel economy. Any gas it might have saved by upshifting gears sooner, and downshifting later, was wasted by all the extra gear hunting when going up hill.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:59 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post

It kind of does automatically move the car

Old 12-22-2018, 06:09 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Park assist. If you don't know how to parallel park, you shouldn't be driving. In the time it would take the car to spew directions and safety information at me, I'd already be in the parking spot. Luckily, you have to actively turn this feature on, so it's like I don't even have it.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:36 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,530,374 times
Sirius radio. I had the trial in my new Kia purchased in the summer. The sound quality was terrible, if they could upgrade that I would consider it, but as it is its not worth whatever the cost is per month, even $5 is too much for something that often sounds like an old worn out 8 track.

Bluetooth. I do not use it and never will. It drops battery life on my phone too much and I dont really need to answer the phone while driving.

Cruise control. My car is the lowest level trim and does not have cruise. Its been years since I had a car without it, but I adapted quickly and now do not miss it at all.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:43 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Bluetooth. I do not use it and never will. It drops battery life on my phone too much and I dont really need to answer the phone while driving.

I've had Bluetooth equipped vehicles for over eight years now and have never had battery issues with any of my phones. Your phone must need a new battery. Being able to answer a call at the push of a steering wheel button makes for much easier and safer driving.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:54 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
The navigation system on my 2010 and 2011 Mercedes is pretty useless. It will get you where you need to go, and has quite a database of all points of interest, including restaurants, etc. However, I much prefer Waze. The navigation system does not have real-time traffic and does not update (it is hard drive based).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive