U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 08:52 PM

4,058 posts, read 1,481,594 times

Advertisements

Some kind of color light show tied to music. It is really cool, but I don't seek it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 09:06 PM

3,406 posts, read 4,790,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I will answer on behalf of all Southern California drivers; turn signals.

Speaking of turn signals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_3xxQXgFs

Old 02-16-2019, 09:42 PM

1,492 posts, read 423,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes, Cruise Control will help your fuel economy if your driving is on the level..... But in hilly situations, by always maintaining a uniform speed regardless of grade, it will make your engine work harder going up big hills, and less hard going downhill, therefore burning more gas than if you were to keep a more even pressure on the gas pedal.
When going up a hill with CC on, the transmission downshifts, and the computer accelerates more gradually that a person would usually, so even in hilly situations on the highway the CC is still more gas efficient.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:02 PM

6,636 posts, read 3,659,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Back up camera. I have no use for it.

I was backing up my wife's Subaru the other day and had a huge truck on either side. There was a family with small children right behind one of the trucks walking my way. I saw them in the camera way before I saw them in my exterior mirror and stopped backing. It simply boggles my mind that people reject safety features that can prevent injuries and the loss of life. The first week I had my driver's license I hit a kid on a minibike that was trying to go around me while I was backing up. If I'd have had the safety features my wife's Subaru has that accident would probably never have happened, as her car not only has a backup camera and rear cross traffic alert, but also automatic emergency braking. Yes, the kid was at fault for trying to go around me, but I'd much rather not have hit him. His bad move cost him a medivac flight to Anchorage and an upper body cast. Technology, like backup cameras, are reducing accidents like this. I really question the judgement of those people who refuse to use whatever safety technology their vehicle has.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:12 AM

12,755 posts, read 6,662,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
When going up a hill with CC on, the transmission downshifts, and the computer accelerates more gradually that a person would usually, so even in hilly situations on the highway the CC is still more gas efficient.
This really depends on the car. My cruise control holds exact speed. In mountain country, I get better fuel economy with it disabled. Itís adaptive cruise control. In traffic, I also get better fuel economy with it disabled. It slows to match speed with the car ahead of it. When I pull out to pass, it accelerates to the set speed.

I normally use the cruise control to avoid speeding tickets.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:36 AM

12,755 posts, read 6,662,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
Subaru X mode. I never remember I have it, and itís usually too late to use when I do. It does nothing to help when Iím high centered on a snow mound. If the snow or mud gets bad I just turn off TC and use momentum. The car isnít high enough to do extreme off roading where Iíd need power sent to specific wheels. Itís pretty much useless to me, but a good selling point.
Iíve used X mode exactly once going down a steep driveway in freezing rain before the car had snow tires. It was slide-grip-slide-grip all the way down the hill. It kept me out of the ditch. In deep snow, I just disable the traction control. I donít rock hop off road so Iíd normally never use X mode for a controlled hill descent.

I donít use most of the features on the head unit. I use NAV only because it displays the speed limit. Helps avoid speeding tickets. I otherwise navigate with my phone. I use the backup camera. I use the recently dialed cell phone numbers to place calls on the touchscreen. Bluetooth for phone calls and music. There are 10 menus I havenít seen since the car was new.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM

1,084 posts, read 785,825 times
I honestly forget that my Mazda CX-9 has a third row seat! When I bought it new back in 2012, I had no intention of using it as a 7-seater. I just wanted a large CUV that could handle and accelerate like a sporty sedan.

I serioulsy forget that the seats are folded down back there. I don't think they've ever been used.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:28 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,150,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think faux roof rails are one of them. Completely useless for most drivers.
While they can add a touch of style to an SUV, they have no other use. On top of it, they arenít cheap either. They should be added if necessary.
Lane change assist is another one, in my opinion. I always turn it off and I am on a hwy a lot.
Or huge key fobs. Who needs that bulky stuff?

Sunroof. Never open mine which came with an EX-L package with other features I wanted. Nothing more than a potential source of rain intrusion to me.

Don

Old 02-20-2019, 06:32 AM

3,646 posts, read 1,014,033 times
I never use the fake manual shifting it’s a joke nothing beats a real manual transmission.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:58 AM

9,168 posts, read 9,630,974 times
Cruise control. Never really used it in any car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or