U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 12:57 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,363,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The family of Toyota Entune Apps. Totally annoying and can screw up all audio, including radio. Love the new 2018 Camry; hate Entune.

Toyota finally wised up and is now integrating Apple CarPlay and Android Auto into their fleet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 01:07 PM

541 posts, read 117,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Not my current car, but I had a Grand Voyager with a feature that would automatically lock the doors when you would reach a certain speed (I think it was 15 mph). I thought it was fine but my wife didn't like it because much of the time it resulted in the passenger door being locked when she was wanting to get in, so I disabled it.

I still thought it was a pretty good feature, especially in a car marketed mainly to people who were using it to haul kids.
I love that feature. I don't live in a high crime area, but no one is going to be able to open the door and hop in to hijack one at a red light.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Status: "People and tear gas - either it's a border or it isn't." (set 22 days ago)

13,743 posts, read 5,428,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Toyota finally wised up and is now integrating Apple CarPlay and Android Auto into their fleet.
Too late for me; I took possession August 31, 2018.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:49 PM

134 posts, read 30,528 times
We have a Subaru Forester. It came with a moon roof which we have never used. It also has Bluetooth for something; my eyes must have glazed over when the dealer tried to explain its function to me. It also has a bunch of menus for stuff like setting reminders for maintenance; never used it. My wife loves the heated front seats though.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:12 PM

13,267 posts, read 12,406,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAngus View Post
We have a Subaru Forester. It came with a moon roof which we have never used. It also has Bluetooth for something; my eyes must have glazed over when the dealer tried to explain its function to me. It also has a bunch of menus for stuff like setting reminders for maintenance; never used it. My wife loves the heated front seats though.
Blue tooth you can connect your phone.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:01 PM

873 posts, read 230,196 times
Another vote for sunroof or moonroof or whatever you want to call it. Never used them and all they are good for is is taking away headroom.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:37 PM

5,290 posts, read 3,765,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
My car doesn't have a lot of features compared to a lot of today's cars, so there's not really anything I can think of that I don't use. Other than the back windows which haven't worked in a few years, and my keyless entry too. But I did like those features when they DID work.

Although, a lot of the new cars I see now, have a lot of features that look like fun things to have, but probably would be forgotten about or seen as a hassle after a use or two. Such as I probably wouldn't use a USB port or an input jack very often, since most of my driving is not far distances. But it would be nice to have.

I live in Florida so it'd probably be the same for things like heater mirrors, seats or steering wheel.

Oh, and I had a rental with push button ignition, and I agree the key fobs were huge and bulky. The idea of having the keys in my pocket when I drove just seemed awkward, and I was always putting the fob on the console when I drove and then worrying I'd forget it when I got out. And it really doesn't seem that much harder to put the key in the switch and turn vs putting your foot on the brake and pushing a button. I don't really see the big point of it.
I think it depends if you are a man with only pockets or a woman with a purse.

My latest car (VW Atlas) has the fob ignition and lock/unlock features, and although it took me a while to get used to not digging around in my purse for it, I now love it. My purse goes where I go, so I'll never get into my car without it. I don't have to dig around in my purse for it. Yay!

It is very convenient when you've got a heavy purse full of "stuff", arms full of bags, and all you have to do is pull on the door handle to open it from a locked position. The same for locking it... a thumb to the handle and it locks.

As for swiping my foot under the hatch-back to open it hands-free, that feature hasn't been the most successful for me. I feel like a fool swiping my foot under there in a parking lot, and the darned thing still won't open. Most times, I just open it with the standard button at the back, but again I don't have to dig those darned keys out for anything.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:02 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
886 posts, read 260,300 times
AM/FM radio. Completely, utterly useless except maybe to DX Canada at nights when the ionosphere really gets going. Drive through DMA #22 one of these days and see if you disagree.

In my car Onstar is 100% useless. It was a first-generation AMPS-only model and when the F˘˘ dropped the requirement to carry AMPS in 2008, most telcos were quick to dump it. My '20 is no exception, one time I tried using it to see what would happen and it did precisely nothing since there's no AMPS service here any more. It was an aftermarket (meaning: box-in-trunk) kit so it was pretty easy to remove.

Last edited by Ttark; 12-16-2018 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-16-2018, 04:04 PM

3,310 posts, read 1,928,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My truck is temporarily outside right now. The first thing I do is turn on the seat heat and steering wheel heat. I paid for them and I'd be stupid to not use them this time of the year. Besides, they feel so good when it's freezing outside.
I would probably like steering wheel heat better than seat heat. It's not my butt that's cold when I get in the car. I also don't live in AK, so my freezing temps may be a bit warmer than yours!

Old 12-16-2018, 04:35 PM

1,184 posts, read 860,276 times
Rear windshield wipers. They might come in handy if I ever thought to use them, but I don't even know how to turn them on. My main gripe is the big control box mounted in the rear window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or