Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 07:04 PM

61,673 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

I think faux roof rails are one of them. Completely useless for most drivers.
While they can add a touch of style to an SUV, they have no other use. On top of it, they aren’t cheap either. They should be added if necessary.
Lane change assist is another one, in my opinion. I always turn it off and I am on a hwy a lot.
Or huge key fobs. Who needs that bulky stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 07:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Cruise control for me. I've had it in the past, but it was a pain. Kept having to reset it while driving. So, I have never even tried it in my current vehicle.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:25 PM

496 posts, read 445,653 times
My car doesn't have a lot of features compared to a lot of today's cars, so there's not really anything I can think of that I don't use. Other than the back windows which haven't worked in a few years, and my keyless entry too. But I did like those features when they DID work.

Although, a lot of the new cars I see now, have a lot of features that look like fun things to have, but probably would be forgotten about or seen as a hassle after a use or two. Such as I probably wouldn't use a USB port or an input jack very often, since most of my driving is not far distances. But it would be nice to have.

I live in Florida so it'd probably be the same for things like heater mirrors, seats or steering wheel.

Oh, and I had a rental with pushbutton ignition, and I agree the key fobs were huge and bulky. The idea of having the keys in my pocket when I drove just seemed awkward, and I was always putting the fob on the console when I drove and then worrying I'd forget it when I got out. And it really doesn't seem that much harder to put the key in the switch and turn vs putting your foot on the brake and pushing a button. I don't really see the big point of it.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:36 PM

17,613 posts, read 17,649,156 times
My second car was a 1984 Buick Skyhawk coupe. The Mose useless feature was a luggage rack on the trunk. It was a series of rails. The outer two rails were connected by a spoiler like protrusion.

Today I have a 2015 Hyundai Elantra SE with mid level stereo. It has a memory feature allowing me to upload MP3 songs via thumb drive. The memory is so small I would have to record the MP3 on the lowest setting to allow a modest amount of music to be stored and that would result in bad audio quality. If you’re going to offer a memory storage then offer enough to hold a minimum of one whole CD at the highest recording setting.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Cruise control for me. I've had it in the past, but it was a pain. Kept having to reset it while driving. So, I have never even tried it in my current vehicle.
With practice using cruise control has become second nature to me. I use it all the time to help prevent me from getting a speeding ticket and help keep my fuel economy up.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
My car doesn't have a lot of features compared to a lot of today's cars, so there's not really anything I can think of that I don't use. Other than the back windows which haven't worked in a few years, and my keyless entry too. But I did like those features when they DID work.

Although, a lot of the new cars I see now, have a lot of features that look like fun things to have, but probably would be forgotten about or seen as a hassle after a use or two. Such as I probably wouldn't use a USB port or an input jack very often, since most of my driving is not far distances. But it would be nice to have.

I live in Florida so it'd probably be the same for things like heater mirrors, seats or steering wheel.

Oh, and I had a rental with pushbutton ignition, and I agree the key fobs were huge and bulky. The idea of having the keys in my pocket when I drove just seemed awkward, and I was always putting the fob on the console when I drove and then worrying I'd forget it when I got out. And it really doesn't seem that much harder to put the key in the switch and turn vs putting your foot on the brake and pushing a button. I don't really see the big point of it.
I live in Lafayette Louisiana. My car has heated mirrors. I use this feature year round. Some mornings my car is covered in moisture from the high humidity and or fog. It’s hard to get all the moisture off the side mirrors and even when I do the mirrors can fog over. Using the heated mirrors removes the excess moisture and keep the mirrors clear. This happens more often here than the occasional morning frost.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:10 PM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
I have an auto start/stop when stopped, it’s setup to be off each time I use vehicle. I’d rather my starter is used not many times in a day.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

You should get a vehicle with stop/start adaptive cruise control. The old fashioned maintain-one-speed cruise control is pretty much useless.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Most useless is that eco light. I have them all turned off on my vehicles.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:31 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times
the One most Useless?

sunroof/moonroof/whatever.
during the day, it allows too much light which drowns out digital readouts,
and at night, it offers no advantage over a solid roof in terms of cabin visibility.

however, a "car guy" told me that the newer sunroofs are more solid
and stable and protective than any of the newer solid "non-sun" roofs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive