Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:16 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
We have to buy a new (to us) car. Max budget is $15-16K, assuming we'll also have to fork out taxes and such on top of that.

Vehicles we're looking at (years range from 2014-2017 with mileage ranges of between 20K-50K miles):
  • Toyota RAV4
  • Nissan Rogue S
  • Hyundai Tucson GLS
  • Ford Escape
  • Honda CRV

We tend to own our cars for 10-15 years, so we're looking for a vehicle that will have longevity and reliability. We don't necessarily care about perks like heated seats or sunroofs. Vehicle will be used primarily for daily commuting - 20 city miles round trip if I end up driving it, 60 highway miles round trip if my husband drives it.
To me, in this class, there are a lot of competitors but if you care about long-term reliability, there's only two to consider.

My top two votes for the 2014-2017 are:

1) Honda CRV
2) Toyota RAV4

This is almost a tie for me. The Honda CRV wins for a few main reasons: better MPG (especially on the highway), better styling (subjective of course), and experience with Hondas myself (not CRVs) and experiences through friends that have CRVs. They are solid little vehicles and extremely reliable. NOTE: There are 2 different CRVs in your year range. The 2014 has the 5 speed transmission and the 2015+ has the CVT, so if you are concerned about CVTs you might look towards the 2014.

There's nothing wrong with the RAV4 though. I don't care for the styling and wish the MPG was better, but they are also great vehicles.

And miles and miles below:

3) Ford Escape - My friend has a 2013 and I've worked on it a few times. I'm not a fan. Even changing the battery is a pain.
4) Hyundai Tucson GLS - I'm not sure how these will serve you over 10 to 15 years. I've not heard good things.
5) Nissan Rogue S - Nissan is a tough one. I've had bad experiences with Nissans and swore I'd never own another. Other people have almost no problems. Yet others have similar experiences to mine. I suspect they just don't have the consistent quality that Honda and Toyota have. I'd stay away.
6) Anything from VW - Yes, I know some people drive them for 200K miles and do nothing other than normal maintenance. But, like Nissan, they aren't consistent and when you get a bad one, it's bad. Latest example: I know a guy getting head gaskets replaced (under warranty) at less than 10K miles on an Atlas. Yes, it's not the same model you'd be looking at, but this is not as rare as it should be. Around 2004, I knew two people at work who had the same VW model/year Passat. One said it was the best car they'd ever owned and had no troubles. The other said it was the last VW he'd ever own due to frequent repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 06:36 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Wanted to report back and let everyone know that we ended up buying a 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L. It has about 66K miles on it.

We test drove a 2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE that only had 35K miles on it, but neither of us liked it. Both the driver's area and the backseat in the RAV4 felt cramped and uncomfortable compared to the CR-V. I also liked the handling on the Honda much better than the Toyota (which was surprising since I come from a family that typically only drives Toyotas).

We were going to test drive a 2017 Nissan Rogue at some point but upon further research opted to stay away from those.

All in all we're very pleased and it's highly possible that when the time comes to give my 2005 Hyundai Elantra to my daughter (next year), I'll be getting my own 2014 CR-V to tool around in!

Old 12-27-2018, 06:39 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Wanted to report back and let everyone know that we ended up buying a 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L. It has about 66K miles on it.

We test drove a 2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE that only had 35K miles on it, but neither of us liked it. Both the driver's area and the backseat in the RAV4 felt cramped and uncomfortable compared to the CR-V. I also liked the handling on the Honda much better than the Toyota (which was surprising since I come from a family that typically only drives Toyotas).

We were going to test drive a 2017 Nissan Rogue at some point but upon further research opted to stay away from those.

All in all we're very pleased and it's highly possible that when the time comes to give my 2005 Hyundai Elantra to my daughter (next year), I'll be getting my own 2014 CR-V to tool around in!
Congratulations and thank you for coming back and letting us know what you chose! I hope it’s a great car for you.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:43 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
At least you shopped around to get what fits your needs and taste. Remember to get that Elantra a full service and inspection before passing it down. Have the brakes, tires, suspension, belts, and hoses all checked and or replaced. If replacing the tires get the best quality you can afford. Tires are one of the most important features of a car for ride comfort, stopping, and staying connected to the road in wet weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive