Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

I learned how to drive on a manual, and loved the control I felt I had, especially in the winter.

It's hard to describe how to shift, and clutch control. You need practice--and lots of room lol.

Funny story: When I was shopping for my last car, I thought I'd be getting another manual (the one I was trading in was an automatic but, after my first car, also an automatic, I'd gotten all manuals). I went for a test drive with the sales rep, and the car with the stick shift was parked on an incline (backed into the spot), facing another row of new cars parked in front.

It had been about six years since I'd driven a manual, but even with decades of experience, I was a little hesitant. The SA sitting beside me (a kid of about 20 ) must've noticed because he said something like, "You okay?" LOL poor kid. Anyway, even though I ended up with an automatic, it all came back to me. I always had been, after all, adept at clutch control, and not stalling.

For obvious reasons, manual transmissions are going the way of the dinosaur. If you like the experience, you'd better get one now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 07:31 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
To increase the longevity of the throw out bearing and the clutch disc, don't be a clutch rider.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:48 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post

So, if you can drive a stick, what are your best tips? How can I find that sweet spot between stalling out and shooting forward (or backward) uncomfortably fast? Any fun stories about how you learned this dying art?
What amazed me it is like riding a bike. It will all come back. We bought an old stick shift for my first son way back when. I hadn't driven a stick for over 20 years. It came right back! My son was hesitate about driving a stick--told him he would be an expert by the end of the week. I was right. My son is now an adult, his first car he bought on his own was stick shift, he really wanted one. I felt good that I had made the right decision for him at 16.

I would never buy a stick at this stage of my life, but they are sure fun to drive.

Have fun!

Old 12-19-2018, 06:06 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Like the above poster said "listen to the engine", that is key. RPMs will tell you what gear you should be in.

The hardest part for me was learning to start out in 1st on a hill, but it really just comes down to finding the balance between clutch and gas pedal. Once you can master that, no hill will be a challenge.

Im surprised car companies have not come out with push button manuals, like semi trucks have nowadays, its a little easier, but still have to clutch.
Yes. It TELLS you when it wants to shift by engine sound. Also, if you don't pick that up, watch the tach. Depending on the car, it wants to shift when it starts to push 3,000 RPM in many engines. My Jeep Wrangler is a low rev, high torque engine so when I get near 2,500 RPM it "wants" to shift.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I learned by buying one and trying to drive it home. Four miles from my house, I decided it wa impossible and got out and walked. Then I realized it was stupid to just leave my "new" car there, so I walked back and fought it all the way home.

Shortly after, I went on a trip to Napa California to visit a friend. I rented a horrible, under-powered Dodge Colt with a manual transmission. It excelled at stalling. At one light on a steep hill in San Francisco, I simply could not get moving. I stalled it about five times. When the light cycled again, I let out the clutch and it rolled back a tiny bit and "thud" I had rolled back into a Porsche that had pulled up right on my bumper. I looked in the mirror in panic and the driver smiles and waved for me to proceed. He sat there and held my car in place for me so I could get moving. Nice guy.

Eventually I got very good at manual transmissions. I even learned to drive vehicles that did not have a clutch (either by design or because it was broken). I learned to shift instantly and learned Heel-toe. I hat the opportunity to drive race cars on a track and also some of the exotic performance cars. For many years I would not own anything but a manual transmission. Still made mistakes once in a while and after over 35 years driving mostly manual transmissions I still do occasionally. do not let it bother you. Do not panic. That is where most people get into big trouble. they stall multiple times and panic over holding other people up and then do something crazy and dangerous. Take a few deep breaths and keep trying. You will get there.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:26 AM

483 posts, read 885,912 times
I learned as soon as I could. As a car enthusiast, it was a must! My parents didn't want me to own a manual. They thought it was too distracting or that I'd get into a wreck, etc. The funny irony is that a manual makes you concentrate more, while automatics allow for more distractions.

Anyway, I learned what to do before I ever set foot in one. I got to try it out for the 1st real time on my friend's old Nissan pickup. My buddies all gave it a shot and gave up quickly. A rough start or 2 for me, and I was driving around the neighborhood. After that, I was addicted. I went out and test drove manual transmission cars--a 240SX, a Contour V6 5spd, a Thunderbird SC 5spd (heavy clutch); then eventually, was able to buy a car I always wanted (and had before but in an automatic)- a Ford Taurus SHO with the manual transmission. I still own 2 of those now as my fun cars. This thread makes me want to go home and take one of them for a drive.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
I don 't remember being taught. I worked for my dad at his gas/ service station since age 11; we had a tow truck and a 65 Bronco that was manual on the column. I used to go with my dad plowing and would watch him. Same with the tow truck; would watch. I started pulling them out of the bays myself. Eventually it came in handy for when I had a Mustang 2 manual trans. I got my 1st motorcycle at 17, had no issues shifting. It was 2nd nature. As others say, you just have to listen to the motor.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:30 AM

239 posts, read 155,889 times
Each vehicle is different. You just have to get the feel for the vehicle you're driving. Some have hard clutch's; others have a soft feel. Some clutches disengage early, others late. Other clutches squeak, especially in cold weather. Normally, the mechanics is a combination of slowly letting off the clutch while gently applying gas. Be sure you're seated firmly.

I recall when I was learning to drive a manual stick shift. My dad won a truck at a drawing, and the truck came with a manual transmission. Shifting from park to first gear, I had a habit of disengaging the clutch too quickly. The truck would hop for a few seconds before taking off. One day, I pulled into a KFC drive through and started flirting with the girls at the window. Everything was going well until I started leaving. I popped the clutch, and the truck started hopping. The girls started laughing at me as I drove off! lol

Old 12-19-2018, 10:04 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,841 times
Getting the vehicle moving initially is the key. Once you are moving, the shifting and clutch inter-play is very forgiving. Clutch memories: first learning driving a milk truck that had a super heavy clutch, a weird seating position, and all of the milk cartons creating a racket as I popped the clutch, getting stuck at an incline traffic light in a VW camper, and someone pulling-up to my rear bumper; and on the positive side - - driving a subaru legacy that had the clutch hold feature that would prevent you from rolling backwards.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:23 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
When I went for my drivers license test in 1958 (at age 16) we had to use a manual transmission even though automatics were around. One part of the driving test was to park facing uphill. Turn the wheels right. Shut the car down. Set the emergency brake. Restart the car and pull away without rolling backwards. Right foot on gas. Left foot on Clutch. One hand on the steering wheel. One hand slowly releasing the emergency brake. If you rolled backwards, you failed the test.

There was a hill near the DMV they used, so one day a bunch of my buddies and I parked our cars on the hill so there was no room for the DMV tester to use. He was pissed...........LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive