Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:17 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,139 times

Advertisements

Probably going to get out of hand, but it is a legit question. Before anything, I do know some motorcyclists are a-holes but just like any other motor vehicle operator, they are no different.

The other day I was minding my business while some dude was trying to taunt me. Sped up and passed me really fast, staring at me and just trying to get me riled up. I drive a sports adventure bike, so its not even fast lol. its meant for light offroading, but does look a little sporty

I never speed and always go the speed limit, but occasionally I see other car drivers just try to "test" my bike. Like if I am at a red light, they try to accelerate hard and match my acceleration.

While motorcycles do take off fast, and much more quicker than the average car, I take off at a moderate speed for smoother shifting and balance and I notice cars sometimes try to put the pedal to the metal just to match my speed then over take me and look at me while passing me once I reach a comfortable speed to accelerate up to the speed limit.

I even get drivers purposely tailgate me to see if I rage or to get me riled up or something? and I can tell when they are doing it on purpose and just staring at me with aggression like I did something? I usually dont do anything and move out of the way or just ignore.

I would consider a relaxed slow paced driver. usually mind my own business and continue on. So why do some drivers do this? I mean sure I understand if its a jerk hat 21 yr old with an r6 swerving around traffic and lane splitting when its illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 02:20 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
I dont get it at all. I love driving and seeing sportbikes out there because they look so cool. I let them pass and admire. I do however cant stand the obnxious aftermarker loud pipes.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:21 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
if you ride, you must be the brass-balled barroom brawler of the stereotype. And there's always someone who will go out of their way to provoke that guy in the bar.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:25 PM

61,710 posts, read 87,101,195 times
This is a car culture country. The bigger, the better. Anything else on the road, including pedestrians is a unwelcomed nuisance.
It will take years if not generations to learn how to share public roads. The driving culture is just not there yet...

Something about cyclists and bikers seems to provoke fury in other road users...

Old 12-18-2018, 02:57 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This is a car culture country. The bigger, the better. Anything else on the road, including pedestrians is a unwelcomed nuisance.
It will take years if not generations to learn how to share public roads. The driving culture is just not there yet...

Something about cyclists and bikers seems to provoke fury in other road users...
question is, what is the science behind it

Old 12-18-2018, 03:02 PM

61,710 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
The science is an everyday general observation. Would you not agree with it?

Old 12-18-2018, 03:20 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
if you ride, you must be the brass-balled barroom brawler of the stereotype. And there's always someone who will go out of their way to provoke that guy in the bar.
Pretty much, though not like in the Brando era where you could expect fights pretty often indeed. I've mixed it up with a few wankers over the years, 1987-current on bikes. Haven't ridden much past few years, since Porsche 911s: the latter are waaaaay more interesting, all-considered, but that's for another day/forum.

I ride an Adventure bike like OP, though a 1200. It scoots right along. I usually don't abuse the privilege, though shakedowns from cops are the other thing you'd best get used to. Still, I'm a bit faster than most traffic...usually...because to twist the old quote a bit, "the ONLY defense is a strong offense!" on a bike. Driving "defensively" means being cut off, in the middle of jams of cars whereupon if there is a wreck you'll definitely get the short end of it.

Offense means: there and gone again, before most cars have time to react. Pass and keep moving. Don't slow down to ponder what others "meant" or "feel"; that is irrelevant. If someone is jerking around with you, I tend to do one of several things:

1. These days, completely ignore them. They don't exist.
2. Exit them from me immediately, that malarkey is rear-viewed fast as I can.

No. 2 usually works. I haven't been "chased" per se in fifteen-twenty years, I guess, and that was funnier than anything else since a Ryder Truck isn't the most agile offensive missile. Must have been about 2003 because I remember having my first junky cell phone with me, back in the days of land-lines. I called the cops on those goofs, who had sideswiped at least one car on the freeway that I witnessed, in addition to other reckless behaviors before they decided to try and kill me, too.

I mostly don't have time or interest for it here in the land of frequent rain and police who like to jam on evil doers, which includes bikers I guess. The season may have passed...

Old 12-18-2018, 03:38 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Let’s just say if you see the Highyman, or the Outlaws, or the Hells Angels MC riders on the road I would suggest you stay far away as possible and don’t think to stare at them. My wife’s father was the treasurer fo Hell’s are Home MC in Detroit.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:43 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Probably going to get out of hand, but it is a legit question. Before anything, I do know some motorcyclists are a-holes but just like any other motor vehicle operator, they are no different.
There, you answered your own question - Everybody is an a-hole!

Old 12-18-2018, 03:45 PM

2,461 posts, read 2,477,919 times
Quote:

It all started back in the 1950's when there was a movie that showed bike riders taking over a small town.
Motorcycle riders have gotten a bad rap every since. You'd have to delve into human psychology to get the science behind it. I'm certainly not smart enough to do that. Hell, I can't even remember the name of the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive