Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 06:52 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Virginia will. Fail an emissions test and you can't register your car. Convenient, since the only time you need emissions is every 2 years when your registration is due.
... but it won't be grounded. You will have time to get it fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 08:28 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
... but it won't be grounded. You will have time to get it fixed.

I lived in VA for a while.. But not when I was old enough to drive. Don't they have an exemption to the emissions after 20 years or something? I seem to remember that if you were within a certain number of years age on the car, they were hardcore about the emissions.. But if the car were over a certain age.. It was almost a free-for-all.

Of course, at that time, it was the 90's.. And cats probably weren't standard 20 years before that

Quote:
I think I said that but not in so many words. This is a great explanation and OP should proceed as advised here.
Start with going to another shop, OP. Your "trusted" mechanic isn't worth a dime

I'm finding that too often, enough words aren't used in this forum. 90% of the questions people ask can't just flat out be answered. Sure, we get the occasional "Who makes the best wipers" or something.. but.. Most times, it's like this.. Where the question could mean 5 different things and the answer 20.

I mean, look at how quick it was "Oh, a cat's only $200 or so".. Yeah, right, unless you're in one of the CARB states..

A while back someone had a blower motor resistor out. Obvious resistor problem. The number of people saying their climate control system was bad.. Probably scared the hell out of the person.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:33 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I mean, look at how quick it was "Oh, a cat's only $200 or so".. Yeah, right, unless you're in one of the CARB states..
Huh?

That's what I paid.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:04 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
My mechanic removed the shattered catalytic converter from my Kia and didn't replace it. Solved the problem. But that was in Hawaii, no smog checks.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:10 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Huh?

That's what I paid.
One of the many things that Labonte18 is addressing is how often posters here do not think beyond their own vehicle and/or city/county/state and apply what works for them to every situation. The $200 cat worked for your situation. But it may not for others, because of where they live.

In short - as with most of the questions of life - "It depends ..."

Old 12-21-2018, 01:16 PM

695 posts, read 702,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Like I said. Do the emission check first. If you pass, it means your mechanic wants the big job for the money.
Here in Connecticut, the car automatically fails emissions if the "check engine" light is on.

As long as the light isn't flashing, it should be fine to drive until going to the mechanic. I drove on car that way for almost two years, but had the oxygen sensor replaced before going to emissions testing.

Both times I had a car where the light came on, a sensor was the issue. Maybe a second opinion is needed. The sensor (less expensive repair) might be the culprit.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:17 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
In Michigan we have no emissions test anymore got rid of it in 1995. So if you own your vehicle you can remove the catalytic if it ever needed replacement and run a straight exhaust pipe if you want.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:11 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
I lived in VA for a while.. But not when I was old enough to drive. Don't they have an exemption to the emissions after 20 years or something? I seem to remember that if you were within a certain number of years age on the car, they were hardcore about the emissions.. But if the car were over a certain age.. It was almost a free-for-all.
The only time I faced this the law was that you had to have spent more than $700+ (now $815 and $850 in 2019) at specific certified mechanics to try to fix it before there would be any exemption.

A quick check does show an exemption for cars older than 25 years so you were close.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:30 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Yes. You are safe. It's just for the environment.
The original poster is safe, with car owners like you, the environment -- not so much.
Quote:
Enjoy the drive and don't worry about. Ask your mechanic to disable the engine light. It's annoying...
Merry Christmas!!

If I was asked to do that I would refuse. Illegal and irresponsible.

Don in Austin

Old 12-22-2018, 11:27 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
Here in Connecticut, the car automatically fails emissions if the "check engine" light is on.
I don't live in an emission check city, so I am not familiar with the process, but you can't even check the emission if you light is on? I didn't meant for the inspection sticker, but check for sake of checking to find out if there is a real emission problem or just a sensor malfunction.
In Texas a test technician can check your vehicle’s engine and emissions systems, and see if any monitors state a “Not Ready” status. The test personnel can complete the test in around 2 minutes.

@Don in Austin - I didn't meant forever, but for the Holiday trip OP is about to make.

BTW: emission check isn't mandatory in almost half of the US. Obviously lots of people don't need to care..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File...tionLawsUS.svg

Last edited by elnina; 12-22-2018 at 11:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive