U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of car?
Awesome muscle car 16 47.06%
Decent sedan car 18 52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 06:09 AM

5,570 posts, read 8,292,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Car style question in general...
Am I better off with a sports/muscle car or a decent sedan?
Currently I own a nice 2014 Mazda6 with 185HP, 5 persons fit in it, chrome detailing on the exterior...
I am thinking on replacing it with a new Ford Mustang Ecoboost, that is bad-ass, has 310HP, but only fit 2 people, costs 10% more on insurance and gas, and has no chrome detailing (only black plastic).
I am a lead design engineer, which is an intellectual-middle-class job, and I am a single male.
Which would suit someone like me better, the awesome muscle car or the spacious elegant middle class car?
I never wanted a sports car, but the last few weeks it was bugging me, I keep watching mustang reviews on YouTube...
Single male...go with the awesome muscle car. There'll be time later for a more "respectable" car. Awesome badass muscle cars are a lot of fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 06:29 AM

9,045 posts, read 14,438,758 times
Since you do not have practical reasons to need a sedan, go with the sports car. Have fun and enjoy life!

Old 12-22-2018, 06:31 AM

245 posts, read 58,885 times
Frankly what I think OP is asking is "does it reflect better on me to be seen in a muscle car with plastic trim, or a sedan with chrome trim?" This is an appearances question, which has nothing to do with how either car drives or handles or how comfortable either is.

For what it's worth, the Toyota Camry V6 has 301HP and is around 300lbs lighter than the Mustang. It's the faster car, you can get chrome on it, it's rated for 33mpg highway, has Toyota reliability, and is cheaper. And did I mention it has chrome?

Old 12-22-2018, 07:02 AM

9,045 posts, read 14,438,758 times
That is not the current generation Camry. It is a show car. I am also not sure a Camry announces a higher status than a Mustang. Maybe it gives a "sensible" image, but nobody is going to be impressed with it either. It is appliance level transportation. It also is not faster than the ecoboost Mustang in the real world, as it won't get the power down through the front wheels like the Mustang will being RWD.

If OP really wants to give off an "I have arrived as a professional but am sensible" type of image, I would think going entry level luxury would do this FAR more than a Camry.

I still say go Mustang and have fun. People get too worried about the "image" they give off with their automotive choice when it really makes very little difference. I work with people who drive anything from rusted out beaters to rather pricey luxury cars, and none of them have had their careers affected by the "image" their vehicle choice gives off.

Life is short, drive what you want, not what someone else things you should.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Life is short, drive what you want, not what someone else things you should.
And if what you want is to have what you think other people think?

Old 12-22-2018, 01:29 PM

339 posts, read 260,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Not necessarily. Torque curve, vehicle weight and gearing could overwhelm the difference between 185 and 250 hp.
I meant in general for similar cars, aka camry, accord, maxami, and etc. The v6 version blow their 4cyl versions out the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
To save money, to have reliable transportation, and to avoid unwanted attention if living/working in sketchy areas.
This is part of the reason I didn't buy a used Lexus GS 350 when I totaled my last camry. You could get them for a great deal since a lot of them where coming off leases. I got another v6 camry for a great deal. Low key and cheaper with similar specs minus the rwd advantage. Luxury or perceived luxury cars can put a target on your back for criminals.

Last edited by dc1538; 12-22-2018 at 02:47 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 08:26 PM

1,371 posts, read 543,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Am I better off with a sports/muscle car or a decent sedan

One of each.

My regular car is a Crown Vic sedan.

My play car is a Dodge Viper.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:19 AM

911 posts, read 240,847 times
The Mustang is not a sports car, it handles like crap. I would choose C) Suv, but since that isn't a choice, I would choose a nice handling sedan or coupe from BMW or Lexus over a Mustang by a landslide. I'd look for something a year or 2 old that is in the same price point as a new Mustang.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
The Mustang is not a sports car, it handles like crap. I would choose C) Suv, but since that isn't a choice, I would choose a nice handling sedan or coupe from BMW or Lexus over a Mustang by a landslide. I'd look for something a year or 2 old that is in the same price point as a new Mustang.
Don't the newest Mustangs have an independent rear rather than a solid axle?

Old 12-23-2018, 02:45 PM

840 posts, read 585,023 times
Get something like this. It's the best of both worlds - Charger 392 SRT: 6.4L Engine, 485HP, 475 lb-ft. Torque.
MSRP: From $51,145.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or