U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of car?
Awesome muscle car 16 42.11%
Decent sedan car 22 57.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 03:06 PM

976 posts, read 1,364,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativesRule View Post
Are you more looking at larger "luxury" cars, when you say "spacious elegant middle-class car", or were you referring to the Mazda6 that you already own? .
Yes, the one I already have.

Quote:
If you get a Mustang, I think you lose any aspirations to luxury, or to prestige, since they are viewed as very much a younger persons car, or an enthusiast muscle car. The EB Mustang is a nice platform though, and if you're into spirited driving and want to just have a fun ride, I say do it - life is short. Maybe you can find a lease to takeover for a year, see how you like it, without committing to a purchase?
You mentioned you're a young single guy - I'd forget about getting something "to impress the ladies" with though if that is what you were implying by that comment....trust me on this one when I tell you that the kinds of girls that are impressed by a car aren't anything to chase after. I'd much rather have a woman who admires that a man has made a practical, frugal choice, and still has a nice car that is enjoyable, over a man who spends more than he can afford just to have "hell on wheels".
Basically to not stick out of my professional (work) crowd the wrong way.
What a woman has to appreciate, is that a man is not just a walking cash machine who spends all his money on his children, but a creature that has its own needs to be respected. A need is like my commute to be less miserable, you know to my workplace where i make the money they spend. Its a test of a woman.

Yesterday I went to test drive a stick shift mustang ecoboost at the dealership. It accelerates like I expect it to, while my mazda6 feels lacking of energy. The mazda always felt that way, especially when merging traffic. The mustang has a little bit less room at the driver seat, the hand brake stuck in my coat, above my leg there is a low plastic edge also... But looks nice and feels better driving it. It sounds louder and lower-bass-roar than my Mazda. The 2018 Ecoboost has the same horse power as the 2010 GT, 310, and has more torque, so I dont really need a GT.

My garage does not really fit 2 cars, more like 1.8 cars. So I would have to sell the Mazda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 04:24 PM

267 posts, read 62,791 times
Just going to point out again that a Camry V6 is cheaper, has the same horsepower and weighs less than a Mustang while delivering better economy and with better reliability, comfort, and real backseats. An Accord is a better choice if you want a fun sedan, but neither car is slow - both are around 300HP in the right trim. I won't try to pretend a Camry going to be fun in the corners but if you're just looking for a car to push you back in your seat, really just go with an EV.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:56 PM

12,320 posts, read 8,465,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Get something like this. It's the best of both worlds - Charger 392 SRT: 6.4L Engine, 485HP, 475 lb-ft. Torque.
MSRP: From $51,145.

It's a big boat. Raced one the other day in my C6 Vette and left it in the dust on the high end.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:59 PM

8,968 posts, read 4,902,301 times
I buy sports cars (usually small roadsters) to commute back and forth to work (I have a long commutes).

Since 2 seaters generally depreciate very quickly and generally serve as a weekend car for the first owner, I can easily find low mileage examples that have depreciated very quickly to rock bottom. Yes... they are unpractical but that also means the market for them is limited thus pushing prices downward. As a commuter, the vehicle usually has 1 passenger and a backpack... rarely used to run errands/haul stuff. I have a second vehicle, 9 year old crossover of sorts with low mileage, for that purpose on weekend errands... Dropping the top down and enjoying an evening driving the backroad back home is a huge stress reliever for me too!

Family vehicles like quad cab pickups, larger SUVs, larger sedans and minivans don't depreciate nearly as quickly.... way too many family people in the market to compete with. The demand for them is too high to get to the price point I want for a commuter.

As for the OP, judging from the tone of the opening post, the consideration for a mustang is a "want" ... purely an emotional want.... dating... status symbol... to fit in... impress women.. There is nothing wrong with that.... if you work hard for your money, you should be able to spend it on things you like/want. If that's true, then no amount of logical justification / reasoning is necessary.... or going to be effective.

Ps. Realize that many women are not going to be nearly as impressed with the vehicle you drive as much as how you spend it during leisure. They are going to be more interested in sharing stories of your weekends doing stuff rather than how much horsepower or luxurious your car is. The only people you will impress are car people... no more no less.

There is an old saying for photography enthusiasts... don't spend on equipment... spend on trips, events, and opportunities to actually enjoy and ultimately grow in photography.

Last edited by usayit; 12-23-2018 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 05:07 PM

633 posts, read 143,640 times
When I was young I had a muscle car. Now there's no where to really go fast anymore unless you are out in some godforsaken place like Wyoming.

I don't think anyone except yourself really cares what you drive. If you like the way the Mustang drives, get it. Get tired of it, get something else. At the end of the day it's just transportation.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:12 PM

858 posts, read 587,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It's a big boat. Raced one the other day in my C6 Vette and left it in the dust on the high end.
You are comparing a 4 door sports sedan to a two seat sports car. Let me compare your C6 to a Formula 1 race car and see who wins.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:03 PM

16,166 posts, read 3,345,185 times
sedan

Old 12-23-2018, 11:30 PM

13,619 posts, read 15,342,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Don't the newest Mustangs have an independent rear rather than a solid axle?
Yes, not that it really matters. There's a different sensation to driving a car with an IRS and they definitely are more civilized on beat to hell roads but the older 5th Gen Mustang could get around a corner just fine. Older 5th gen was more... Mustang. Loud, unrefined, unapologetic. The newer one is more refined but still a Mustang. Mostly pick what character speaks to you. They're both good driver's cars.

Fourth gen or Fox body? Sure, those did not handle that well. It's like complaining about the Corvette for using leaf springs. Sure, it's antiquated. So what. The Corvette handles very well.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:20 PM

7,022 posts, read 4,569,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I buy sports cars (usually small roadsters) to commute back and forth to work (I have a long commutes).

Since 2 seaters generally depreciate very quickly and generally serve as a weekend car for the first owner, I can easily find low mileage examples that have depreciated very quickly to rock bottom.
That's an important point. For a single-person, with no dependents or other persons to be regularly driven around, it is precisely the 2-seater which is more practical and useful. Driving a car with a back seat is like buying a 3000 square foot house for a single occupant... rewarding in a certain sense, but a bit indulgent and excessive.

But as with houses, often there just aren't any offerings in the 800 square foot range. One ends up with a McMansion not from avaricious desire, but simply because that's all that's available. By similar reasoning, one ends up with a sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
When I was young I had a muscle car. Now there's no where to really go fast anymore unless you are out in some godforsaken place like Wyoming.
Middle America is replete with empty roads, not all of which are boring arrow-straight and flat. Los Angeles is infamous for congestion, but the San Gabriel Mountains offer opportunities for spirited driving, as evinced by the frequent roadside shrines to drivers who are now mere spirit. The OP is evidently in Texas; well, the immediate environs might be congested, but drive 50 miles out, and one gathers that emptiness unfolds.

Indeed, the US is special for having first-world infrastructure yet third-world emptiness. The roads are generally as well-maintained as in Western Europe, with much lower traffic and opportunities to open it up. Then again, we have the highway enforcement system. Barring that, it’s a lovely place for agile, powerful cars.

Even in traffic, there’s something to be said for having the power-to-weight ratio to zoom ahead, at will… to not worry about merging into an off-ramp, knowing that intense acceleration is always available to be summoned.

Quote:
Well the average rental-car Mustang won't be a great handler and that's the one most people are familiar with. ... That's probably one of the reasons why so many people most of whom don't own a Mustang, have a bias against it , they think of it as a poor-handling car simply because it was late to the IRS party.
Lots of finely-handling vehicles have a solid rear axle. Handling is more a matter of weight distribution, suspension-linkage geometry, damping and spring-stiffness. The Mustang is widely panned for its handling capacities in stock-form, not because of its solid rear axle, but because of its philosophy of being a prosaic car that managed to get fitted with some fine engines (and exuberant styling) – but for decades, little else. Still, during those decades, Mustangs soldiered on, offering a V8 in a compact RWD car. They were in a class of 1. After the demise of the SN95, Mustangs got longer and fatter, jettisoning the compact-image for that of retro muscle (or pony) car. Mustangs followed where Camaros had been for 30 years.

Today, all of these cars handle better… but they’re all heavy, bloated and porcine.

Quote:
You are comparing a 4 door sports sedan to a two seat sports car. Let me compare your C6 to a Formula 1 race car and see who wins.
For somebody who doesn’t need a rear-seat or a trunk, the practical advantages are moot. Cars would be compared based on price, reliability, efficiency, style – or, performance.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:58 PM

12,320 posts, read 8,465,270 times
Quote:
Well if it has over 700hp it will win. There is always something faster jack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or