U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of car?
Awesome muscle car 17 39.53%
Decent sedan car 26 60.47%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 07:33 PM

9,093 posts, read 9,530,943 times

Advertisements

Buy the mustang...but test drive the 5.0 version first before settling on the 23 turbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 07:40 PM

9,093 posts, read 9,530,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativesRule View Post
Now granted there is a bunch of stuff you need to do to a Fox to make it handle that well. That isn't for everyone. You have to REALLY love the car. And its not going to feel like an M3 when you're done. Its not the same kind or class of car. It was a 10K car new...an M3 was 40K. It is going to feel like a very heavily modded Mustang, which is fine..that's what it is. Its going to be a ton of fun, and its going to out-handle almost every other car you run across, and the performance will be a good "Value" for the price. Its not going to run like a fine piece of German engineering. Its going to be rough and loud and visceral.

I've had several Mustangs (and have driven all of them) and can say with confidence the Fox was the most entertaining design to drive. I have a 6th Gen today. It is amazing how refined the Mustang has become. On paper and by any reasonable point of comparison, it is superior in every metric to the Fox car. And I certainly would pick the modern car as a daily driver rather than a Fox. But there's something in the simplicity and unsophisticated nature of the older car that is just not present in modern cars, and that's what makes it fun, I suppose.
Fox owner here. You are right that there are parts you need to throw at a fox to make it turn, brake and go. You basically need to throw the entire Maximum Motorsports catalog at it. I've done this to mine...coil-overs, panhard bar, torque arm, aftermarket brakes, engine mods, Recaro seats....not cheap but the car handles likebits on rails...but lacks the refinement of a purpose built modern car. Like you said....I really love these cars...so spending $5k on suspension work for a 30 year old fox chassis car is just a fun hobby to me.

But the newer cars are just so much more refined. I'd daily drive them over the older stuff....and I have. You can make 700-800 horsepower with the new coyote engine and it idles and drives like a stock mustang. Put a 500hp motor is a fox...and now you have a lumpy, loud, engine that nobody will ever mistake for stock

I wouldn't mind a new 18+ mustang 5.0 in the near future. I just need to get past the stage of needed car seats in a car right now. Soon.....

Old 12-25-2018, 03:29 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,385,271 times
Actually I was driving a 2017 GT 5.0 for a week last year on my vacation to Hawaii.
It consumed so much fuel, I had to fill up 3 times, even though I was on a small island. Then it was too loud. It had automatic transmission, that just killed the useful power out of it, it kept shifting the wrong gears. I only buy manual stick shift cars.
So the Ecoboost seems better for me, int he aspects of fuel economy and noise. That is what I experienced on the test drive few days ago.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:19 AM

12,775 posts, read 8,704,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Actually I was driving a 2017 GT 5.0 for a week last year on my vacation to Hawaii.
It consumed so much fuel, I had to fill up 3 times, even though I was on a small island. Then it was too loud. It had automatic transmission, that just killed the useful power out of it, it kept shifting the wrong gears. I only buy manual stick shift cars.
So the Ecoboost seems better for me, int he aspects of fuel economy and noise. That is what I experienced on the test drive few days ago.
Needs a dyno tune and mods. The 5.0 has it's power up high. My 2013 C6 will kill a new 5.0 down low. I kinda liked my 2015 5.0 GT , but it was falling apart, had to have a whole new A/C ,headliner was falling down and paint coming off the parts on the inside. Had good power up high.

I get 31mpg with my C6 all highway at 55mph with no stopping and no WOT burst. City it is 14mpg as i do many WOT burst to 80 to 140mph.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:40 PM

10,869 posts, read 22,753,909 times
OP if looking used find a 2012-2013 Mustang Boss 302 it will appreciate in price (future classic)and is still daily driveable plus the facelifted S-197 looked better/meaner IMO

Old 12-25-2018, 07:21 PM

9,307 posts, read 16,919,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
When I was young I had a muscle car. Now there's no where to really go fast anymore unless you are out in some godforsaken place like Wyoming....
Godforsaken place like Wyoming?

Old 12-28-2018, 04:28 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,385,271 times
It seems that the poll is at 50/50%.
Tough choice.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:34 PM

42,741 posts, read 51,070,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Car style question in general...
Am I better off with a sports/muscle car or a decent sedan?
Currently I own a nice 2014 Mazda6 with 185HP, 5 persons fit in it, chrome detailing on the exterior...
I am thinking on replacing it with a new Ford Mustang Ecoboost, that is bad-ass, has 310HP, but only fit 2 people, costs 10% more on insurance and gas, and has no chrome detailing (only black plastic).
I am a lead design engineer, which is an intellectual-middle-class job, and I am a single male.
Which would suit someone like me better, the awesome muscle car or the spacious elegant middle class car?
I never wanted a sports car, but the last few weeks it was bugging me, I keep watching mustang reviews on YouTube...
The kind of car you get (sports, SUV, sedan, minivan) is super personal. No way we can answer that.

If you ask us what kind of sports car you should get and offer a budget, that is the kind of question we can answer better.

We have no way of knowing if you shoukd get a sedan or sports car.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:18 AM

191 posts, read 51,988 times
It all depends where you live.

Muscle cars suck if you don't have a place to go fast.

Fast cars make driving the artificially low revenue generating speed limits even more of a drag.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:39 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,907,342 times
Drive in snow country? ...Audi S4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or