U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

34,343 posts, read 52,762,593 times

Advertisements

No driving it's no problem to me overseas. But where I live now, no driving/no car isn't an option. Everyone is 100% dependent on cars, sadly.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

9,247 posts, read 16,742,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
...I got a ticket, my insurance rates will be ridiculous, I have to pay the deductible to repair the young lady's car I damaged, and I will have to buy a new car after my old one was paid off....
You shouldn't have to pay the other person's deductible. In fact, the other person's insurance shouldn't be involved, if you have liability insurance as you stated. That's the purpose of liability insurance, to pay for others' damages you caused while driving your car.

I would miss driving due to the loss of freedom. If I had a full-time chauffeur on my personal staff 24-hours per day, that would be fine, but that'll never be the case for me. I miss flying my own plane, which I gave up around the age of 50 due to medical issues, so giving up my car would be a killer. I need to drive for my work; if I couldn't drive I'd have to find another job.

It would be very difficult for me, living in rural Wyoming, but we've got to be realists. If I couldn't drive safely, I'd accept that fact and quit driving. You don't say what your medical condition is. If you shouldn't be driving then accept that and don't drive.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

6,269 posts, read 3,383,769 times
Yes, it's worth it. I can't imagine not driving while I have the ability to do so. It gives me freedom and independence. I have no interest in public transportation of any kind. You don't seem to like driving, whereas I love it. I got my license in 1970 and back then it was something just about every teenage boy dreamed about. 48.5 years later I still look forward to getting behind the wheel. And even though I've been retired for 4.5 years, I've driven over 100,000 miles during that time. I'm nowhere close to being ready to hang up my keys.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

7,288 posts, read 1,782,075 times
I dont think motorized vehicles have been worth it...considering how many lives they have taken over the years.

Its kind of funny to hear people complain about how dangerous self drive cars will be, but they are totally fine with driving cars, that have killed 100s of 1000s if not more!

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

9,786 posts, read 7,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont think motorized vehicles have been worth it...considering how many lives they have taken over the years.

Its kind of funny to hear people complain about how dangerous self drive cars will be, but they are totally fine with driving cars, that have killed 100s of 1000s if not more!
To be fair, people have died on all modes of transportation including horse and buggy accidents. Walking has even proven to be dangerous at times.

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

12,676 posts, read 19,196,070 times
I had to stop driving at 32 years old due to a medical condition. Later, I went to a driving therapist, and they taught me to drive with hand controls. It was absolutely worth it to learn to drive again. I don't have a problem with taking a bus or train, but still need to drive.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

3,317 posts, read 1,934,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
To be fair, people have died on all modes of transportation including horse and buggy accidents. Walking has even proven to be dangerous at times.
In my area, someone recently sped into a parking lot and killed a walker. I don't know if she was on the sidewalk or the parking lot, but she was not in the road.

I absolutely love to drive. I have multiple cars and used to race them. I have often gone for "aimless" drives. I work mostly from home and most of my clients are very local so I don't have to deal with rush hour traffic - that I hated. There are days I will walk or bike to a nearby client so it's not like I *need* to drive every day.

I also get carsick so being driven around would be difficult. I took a bus to work for 6 months and there's nothing like being nauseous for half the day due to an overheated stop and go bus.

If driving makes you anxious though, sounds like you made the right decision for you.

Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM

6,266 posts, read 6,704,178 times
Count me as another one who loves to drive, with the freedom to come-and-go as I wish. Whether for business or just discovering a new area. I think Uber/Lyft is expensive. And you can't just get-up-and-go when you want. To paraphrase the late Charlton Heston, I'm driving until they take the keys out of "my cold, dead hands."

Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

5,527 posts, read 6,512,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You are absolutely correct. As a method of ridding us of useless people, the method is highly inefficient and far too expensive for the meager results provided.

Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,793,925 times
Count me in as one who feels driving is well worth it. I enjoy it as I still take useless drives to leave the house and see things not nearby.

I like having the freedom and being on "my time" to leave for anyplace/anything I desire whenever I want. Do I want a late night ice cream, into the truck I go. Hey, I'm bored! How about FL, yep went to FL on a last minute decision and within 1/2 hour I was on my way --- at midnight. Decided to take a slight detour along the way and stop in Savannah. Can't do that on a plane, bus or train. Freedom! I absolutely need it.

Even when out of the country. In Costa Rica I bought a 4x4. Payed too much for it but all cars are expensive there. But, it was well worth it as I saw a good bit of that country, got to see some beautiful views up in the mountains and met some good people while having real local Costa Rican food with a couple of beers along the way. There is no monetary value to those memories!
I would go insane without a vehicle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive