U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 01:58 PM

7,305 posts, read 1,782,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
To be fair, people have died on all modes of transportation including horse and buggy accidents. Walking has even proven to be dangerous at times.
Yes, but when the transition from horse and buggy to motorized car happened, accidents and deaths rose signifcantly, and even to this day, 1000s of people STILL die from car accidents, malfunctions, human error, etc...BUT people still tolerate and accept that the motor car has been a good thing.

Its curious to me that with self drive or autonomous cars, just one or two deaths justifies NOT using or switching to them, but 100s of 1000s of people dying from manual drive cars, is acceptable?! I dont get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Status: "If it ain't broke, update it until it is." (set 23 days ago)

13,572 posts, read 7,685,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Where I live it would be impossible for me to give up driving until I moved closer to work so I could bike/walk to work.

By all means, if you can find a way to make it work, go for it.

I do find it a bit odd that your wife doesn't want a 40 something yr old person driving after one wreck in which no one was injured. You must have done something really crazy and reckless. lol
This wasn't my first accident. I had another one many years ago that damaged another vehicle but no one was injured in that one either. However, my medical condition contributes to my driving difficulties on occasion.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:19 PM

2,543 posts, read 1,861,662 times
I never liked driving I was late to come to it, getting license only after I had two children and figured I had better have a license just in case.
Over the years I drove when I had too. In recent years my health and my sight have gotten to where I don't feel safe to drive so I stopped, as did my husband. Fortunately we have my youngest son and his wife living with us and they use our vehicles to drive both us when needed and for their own needs. in fact I just bought another car to replace the minivan I had that broke. But I don't drive it, at least it is comfortable for riding in.
If they were not here we would have problems as there is no UBER here nor would I be comfortable or could afford them if they were here.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:24 PM

4,570 posts, read 2,557,631 times
There is no place that I go that I could get to without my car. Even simple things like a visit to a library, one of the 4 grocery stores that we patronize, the hardware store or a ride to the beach. I drove 140 miles for my sisters milestone birthday gathering, there is no other way. I would be crushed if I lost my car.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:37 PM

6,995 posts, read 4,554,465 times
I absolutely adore driving, even in conditions of heavy traffic, inclement weather or other impediments. Every highway on-ramp is, in an admittedly juvenile sense, a miniature race-track. The man-machine melding gives me a tingling feeling of satisfaction and belonging. As goes without mention, I prefer light, elemental and raucous sports-cars, and have little fondness for heavy vehicles that emphasize “utility”, safety, internal volume or ease of ingress/egress.

But driving is a personal choice. Choosing not to drive, doesn’t diminish a person’s personhood, or in a more direct sense, a man’s manhood. Some people love skiing; others think that it’s dangerous and idiotic. Likewise with mountain-climbing, basketball, golf… anything physical, anything involving being on our feet (or seated) and moving about. For some, it’s a necessary chore. For others, a hallowed and particular avocation. For still others, it’s to be avoided vehemently.

After suffering an embarrassing and debilitating setback, perhaps it’s best to stop driving for a while… not forever, not in monastic renunciation of the act, but for a few months, while time heals and nasty shock blends into long-term memory.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:38 PM

9,792 posts, read 7,605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, but when the transition from horse and buggy to motorized car happened, accidents and deaths rose signifcantly, and even to this day, 1000s of people STILL die from car accidents, malfunctions, human error, etc...BUT people still tolerate and accept that the motor car has been a good thing.

Its curious to me that with self drive or autonomous cars, just one or two deaths justifies NOT using or switching to them, but 100s of 1000s of people dying from manual drive cars, is acceptable?! I dont get it?
Do you have stats on horse and buggy deaths? Are we to go back until all transportation is made 100% safe with no deaths? What are you proposing?

People are obviously okay with the number of deaths.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:21 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,504,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Do you like to drive? Or do you just like the freedom driving gives you? Is driving worth it you? Would you stop driving if you had reliable alternatives?
First of all, I am sorry to hear about your accident but glad you and everyone else involved is ok (except your wallet).

This is an interesting question I must admit, one that I've thought about a number of times in the past but never really tried to solve for myself. Here is some background:

1) I grew up driving quite a bit. Got my learner's permit at 15 and was driving regularly by myself as soon as I turned 16. In fact, I would say I did more than half the driving on a cross-country family road trip (~4,000 miles total) immediately after I got my license, and had driven for several long road trips by the time I went to college. I also went to college where I had to drive pretty much every day, which isn't unusual but just wanted to specify as many of my college friends and peers did not drive that much, or even have their own cars at all.

2) I have been reflecting on my memories, and how a lot of great moments I've had have come while driving. Beautiful, picturesque countryside, mountains, oceans, etc. Road trips with great friends and great conversations back in the day. Or just daily driving while I listened to all of my favorite songs from those days. Driving home for holidays, or to surprise my girlfriend, etc. I am also an artist myself and I have drawn inspiration from experiences tied to my cars/driving/etc.

3) I am also a (older) millennial and urbanist and LOVE walkable neighborhoods and transit. I am a big fan of ridesharing, and also like bikeshares/scooters (though I've never actually used a scooter share...just in theory). My favorite cities are ones where I wouldn't have to drive at all.

4) My wife is a terrible driver...ok actually I think she's gotten a little better and is now just a "bad" driver. But she hates driving, has always wanted to have her own personal chauffeur, which she says she finally accomplished when she married me lol. She is like me in that we love big cities and feel perfectly at home in NYC, Hong Kong, etc, where we would never have to get behind a wheel.

5) As a middle-aged family man I rarely do any driving for fun these days. I don't mind driving, but most of the time it is simply a task. I listen to podcasts, audiobooks, etc and tend to accomplish things while I am driving, but it's not a thrill like it used to be. Those nostalgic trips down memory lane are almost exclusively a surprise (like hmm, I remember when I used to love this feeling) and not something I experience anymore. Again, it's not like overall I dislike driving the way my wife does, but it's not particularly enjoyable. Not like the feeling of freedom I had when I was a teenager. I don't have an itch to ride a motorcycle or fly an airplane, but I imagine that would be the way for me to get that old feeling back.

Anyway, I type all of this to say that I have struggled when trying to imagine what my future life will be, car-wise. I hesitate to say "struggle" cause it's not a pressing concern or anything, but it's just something I have thought about and I don't think I could say whether I would prefer my life with no driving ever again. My wife knows how she feels. But I don't.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:29 PM

35,281 posts, read 43,514,238 times
Scooby, everyone can make mistakes in judgement, even fully functional people, with no physical issues.

You and yours can decide whether this incident was an accident, or if somehow you caused it because of some impairment. Donít throw the baby out with the bath water, or allow this accident to define you.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:07 PM

1,273 posts, read 354,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This wasn't my first accident. I had another one many years ago that damaged another vehicle but no one was injured in that one either. However, my medical condition contributes to my driving difficulties on occasion.
Not being able to predict other drivers is just not being observant.
I enjoy driving, and Im able to predict other drivers actions with 95% accuracy. The 5% that I cant predict, I always have an out so that I dont have to worry. (15 years of delivery driveing will teach a person that) So theres no reason for you to be stressed out about driving unless youre REALLY worried about your medical condition all the time.
If you were already driving and the condition didnt affect your driving on the regular, that I really would think there was another reason for you to be worried about driving and wrecking the car.

I dont think its a good idea for you to stop driving, because if theres a case where you have to drive, you will further stress yourself when you dont need to, just from being pout of practice.

But its all up to you, if you would prefer Uber and your wife to drive you around, you will save some money.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:31 PM

13,556 posts, read 43,283,254 times
Driving is "worth it" to me, not only for the utility aspects it brings, but, as a Card Carrying Car Guy, I just plain like to drive. And bikes as well.

As a dedicated country boy, I need cars and/or bikes to live where I want to live, unless I want to stay at a horse's pace.

FWIW, say in Moscow, though, with the excellent Metro, trams, buses, etc. - I would rather take the transport than drive, or be driven by someone. When there on project work I always wondered at the knuckleheads that insisted on hiring a private car, when we could have got to the Institute in half the time on the Metro and a short walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive