U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2018, 09:59 AM
 
4,586 posts, read 11,661,387 times
Reputation: 3113

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh, but I do. That is the beauty of C-D, strangers asking other strangers for their opinion on personal decisions in their lives Seriously, in my last paragraph, I asked, "Is driving worth it to you? Do you like the process or do you just like the freedom it gives you?"
Yes, I LOVE driving and everything about it. I have LOVED driving since before I even had a license (i am 50 now). It is the freedom, the power of a strong engine, the acceleration, the sound, the feel, the g forces and the skills involved. I love just driving around and driving on long road trips. I LOVE driving sports cars with manual transmissions, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, etc. I LOVE to drive my truck in snowstorms. I put over 1,000 miles on my snowmobile every year.

#longlivethegasengine!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2018, 10:23 AM
 
142 posts, read 37,098 times
Reputation: 290
I love driving. If I had more money I'd be like Jay Leno. I like driving in snow, I like driving with a sunroof open on warm sunny days, twisty roads in the mountains. Detailing and waxing is a hobby to me. Can't imagine not driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 11:04 AM
 
16 posts, read 38,487 times
Reputation: 64
Scooby - sometimes life throws you a curve ball. If you want to minimize your driving or not drive at all, you may need to adjust your location relative to shopping or work. Not a big deal if done carefully and slowly.

Years ago my wife had a vision problem or rather a vision loss. After several surgeries all is well but it could happen again.

We decided to adjust our lifestyle so we could carpool. It took changing employers and that took a while waiting for opportunities to present itself, etc. Now we carpool 99% of the time and she doesn't drive much. She's very safe to drive but the point is that she does not NEED to drive if she had vision problems again.

Side benefits we only need one car 99% of the time. We keep a low cost ($1500) car around for the rare occasions when we need a second car. We don't have multiple car payments, multiple high cost insurance policies (insurance on two almost new cars would cost more than we spend by far), save gas, etc.

Two years ago I built an electric bike b/c we live in a hilly place and I like to bicycle but not the hills of course. For a nickel's worth of electricity I can go about 35 miles. Basically I can go 35 miles or 35 mph but not both. Its fine b/c my objective is to go 10-15 mph (bicycle speeds) with less effort on hilly streets. Sometimes we drive in together but our end of day schedule is different enough or the weather is nice enough that I'll happily pedal home.

We chose to live in a smallish town so on a really bad day the drive across town at low speeds is 20 minutes. All of our shopping stops is along this route too further reducing our driving.

There are many different ways to live your life in the USA. Back in the day folks often had one car - and that car went shopping with one spouse while the other was dropped off at work. Or the car went to work one day and shopping another day. Or people carpooled on their necessary trips.

Be creative and you'll find what works for you and your's. I find that on the forums where "early retirement" or "frugality" is a big topic, people discuss alot of ideas about how to reduce expenses and one popular way is to get rid of the family car. Might be worth reading those forums too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 12:44 PM
 
7,411 posts, read 1,809,411 times
Reputation: 5273
[quote=charlygal;53982531]Do you have stats on horse and buggy deaths? Are we to go back until all transportation is made 100% safe with no deaths? What are you proposing?

People are obviously okay with the number of deaths.[/quote]Why do people complain about the switch to self drive cars, using safety as the reason then?


Ive never heard anyone complain about how dangerous motorized cars are, even after someone they know has been killed in a car accident, due to malfunction, human error, or whatever, so they apparently believe all the deaths are worth it for the convenience cars provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 04:29 PM
 
8,523 posts, read 8,765,320 times
Reputation: 26522
[quote=rstevens62;53989043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do you have stats on horse and buggy deaths? Are we to go back until all transportation is made 100% safe with no deaths? What are you proposing?

People are obviously okay with the number of deaths.[/quote]Why do people complain about the switch to self drive cars, using safety as the reason then?


Ive never heard anyone complain about how dangerous motorized cars are, even after someone they know has been killed in a car accident, due to malfunction, human error, or whatever, so they apparently believe all the deaths are worth it for the convenience cars provide.
When I was seventeen and less than a year after I got my first driver's license, my parents covered most of the cost of purchasing a low mileage, high quality used car for me. It was a generous act on their part, but I was to learn later that more was involved than generosity.

Mom didn't like spending time driving me around to school, work, and friend's homes. She had things she wanted to do and this was an interference. My father worked a standard forty hour a week job and he could not take time of work to deal with my transportation needs.

So, buying me a used car didn't just benefit me. My parents understood the risks of driving. They also understood the risks of putting a teenager behind the wheel of a nearly new car. Those were risks they were willing to assume because in their minds, the benefits of my having a car exceeded the risks.

Virtually every living person in the USA makes a similar decision when they choose to drive or continue driving, despite accidents that cause injury to themselves and deaths to others around them.

The calculation is an interesting one because I believe more than just simple convenience is involved for many. I think part of the calculation for many is the excitement and independence involved in driving a car and making multiple decisions daily that involve some risk.

Americans take more risks than other cultures do. I think its worth inquiring whether the nearly universal experience with the automobile is part of it. For better or worse, it may cause to take chances that those who live in other places in this world would not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,130 posts, read 837,037 times
Reputation: 2569
[quote=markg91359;53990943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

When I was seventeen and less than a year after I got my first driver's license, my parents covered most of the cost of purchasing a low mileage, high quality used car for me. It was a generous act on their part, but I was to learn later that more was involved than generosity.

Mom didn't like spending time driving me around to school, work, and friend's homes. She had things she wanted to do and this was an interference. My father worked a standard forty hour a week job and he could not take time of work to deal with my transportation needs.

So, buying me a used car didn't just benefit me. My parents understood the risks of driving. They also understood the risks of putting a teenager behind the wheel of a nearly new car. Those were risks they were willing to assume because in their minds, the benefits of my having a car exceeded the risks.

Virtually every living person in the USA makes a similar decision when they choose to drive or continue driving, despite accidents that cause injury to themselves and deaths to others around them.

The calculation is an interesting one because I believe more than just simple convenience is involved for many. I think part of the calculation for many is the excitement and independence involved in driving a car and making multiple decisions daily that involve some risk.

Americans take more risks than other cultures do. I think its worth inquiring whether the nearly universal experience with the automobile is part of it. For better or worse, it may cause to take chances that those who live in other places in this world would not.
How many drivers license do you have, because you said i got my first drivers license at 17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
1,902 posts, read 2,478,361 times
Reputation: 3327
[quote=easy62;53991101]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

How many drivers license do you have, because you said i got my first drivers license at 17.
You don't keep the same license for your entire life. It has to be renewed every few years and any time you move. You get a new one with a new picture. I can't even remember how many I've had. It doesn't mean that you have more than one at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 06:11 PM
 
8,523 posts, read 8,765,320 times
Reputation: 26522
[quote=easy62;53991101]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

How many drivers license do you have, because you said i got my first drivers license at 17.
Vrexy above is correct.

I have to wonder why you would waste both our time asking such a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 07:44 PM
 
12,053 posts, read 14,607,511 times
Reputation: 7779
If you live in a Region blessed by the Gods of Transportation with good rail transit, or are a good biker, you can do it. Most of us can't do without driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,130 posts, read 837,037 times
Reputation: 2569
[quote=vrexy;53991291]
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

You don't keep the same license for your entire life. It has to be renewed every few years and any time you move. You get a new one with a new picture. I can't even remember how many I've had. It doesn't mean that you have more than one at a time.
You keep the same drivers license number though so you really only get one drivers license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top