U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2018, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
10,818 posts, read 3,521,121 times
Reputation: 13038

Advertisements

My DH and I are in our mid 40's. He travels a lot for work and 4 years ago was in China working for two weeks. Due to the time change he barely slept as his boss & co-workers would call him during the night as it's opposite here (12 hour time difference). Long story short, when he came back he got 4 hours of sleep and went to the office to work. He was told he had to, even though he just got home and again there's a 12 hour time difference and the flight was 13 hours. He fell asleep at the wheel on the expressway coming home. He didn't hit anyone, but he totaled his truck and broke many bones in his face. Almost lost an eye. Had double vision until his 2nd surgery. He's had many facial reconstructive surgeries and looks remarkable. I was told many times by doctors that he was very lucky to be alive and his injuries could have been much worse.

OP, you stated you have a medical condition that makes it harder to drive. If you continue to drive, your insurance carrier needs to know that or they could deny claims for not giving full disclosure. If you feel you shouldn't drive, than don't! Many other means of transportation.

BTW, my DH doesn't remember the accident so he's not afraid to drive; however, it affected me and I'm nervous driving on the highway now. I do it, but don't like it!

Last edited by CGab; 12-27-2018 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2018, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
6,373 posts, read 3,446,157 times
Reputation: 13156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My DH and I are in our mid 40's. He travels a lot for work and 4 years ago was in China working for two weeks. Due to the time change he barely slept as his boss & co-workers would call him during the night as it's opposite here (12 hour time difference). Long story short, when he came back he got 4 hours of sleep and went to the office to work. He was told he had to, even though he just got home and again there's a 12 hour time difference and the flight was 13 hours. He fell asleep at the wheel on the expressway coming home. He didn't hit anyone, but he totaled his truck and broke many bones in his face. Almost lost an eye. Had double vision until his 2nd surgery. He's had many facial reconstructive surgeries and looks remarkable. I was told many times by doctors that he was very lucky to be alive and his injuries could have been much worse.

OP, you stated you have a medical condition that makes it harder to drive. If you continue to drive, your insurance carrier needs to know that or they could deny claims for not giving full disclosure. If you feel you shouldn't drive, than don't! Many other means of transportation.

BTW, my DH doesn't remember the accident so he's not afraid to drive; however, it affected me and I'm nervous driving on the highway now. I do it, but don't like it!
Just get a vehicles with stop/start adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist and lane departure warning. That will go a long way toward keeping a sleepy driver safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2018, 10:30 PM
 
5,964 posts, read 1,420,127 times
Reputation: 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh, but I do. That is the beauty of C-D, strangers asking other strangers for their opinion on personal decisions in their lives Seriously, in my last paragraph, I asked, "Is driving worth it to you? Do you like the process or do you just like the freedom it gives you?"

I love the freedom it gives me and I also need it for my business. At the same token there are lots of drivers that do needless dangerous things and occasional near misses really concern me. I do believe I am a very alert driver that puts 100% attention into driving when I am on the road. So I think you can enjoy driving and like the freedom but at the same time have issues with some aspects to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 02:20 AM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
1,928 posts, read 2,494,373 times
Reputation: 3430
[quote=easy62;53992644]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post

You keep the same drivers license number though so you really only get one drivers license.
Actually, no you don't. When you move to another state, you get an entirely different license number. And if keeping the same number, you still get a new picture, and a new license, etc. So it's not just one license, no matter how you look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 08:30 AM
 
13,844 posts, read 16,471,185 times
Reputation: 18396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh, but I do. That is the beauty of C-D, strangers asking other strangers for their opinion on personal decisions in their lives Seriously, in my last paragraph, I asked, "Is driving worth it to you? Do you like the process or do you just like the freedom it gives you?"
I still enjoy driving, even though I have been doing it for over 50 years. I am retired, but I try to get out of the house every day--if the weather and my health permit--and the car enables me to go wherever I want, whether it is to go to the nearby State Park for a hike, or to go to the mall for an indoor walk, or just to go to the grocery store or Costco. None of those activities would be possible without a car, given my semi-rural location. So, I both enjoy the process and I enjoy the freedom that driving gives me. As a result, I plan on continuing to drive until I am no longer able to do so.

However, I have to point out that I have not had a vehicular accident since 1970. If I were involved in an accident, that might shake my confidence--as it did to your confidence.

Here is a suggestion for you:
Why not enroll in a Defensive Driving course?
They are offered periodically by AAA, AARP, and some other organizations--for very reasonable fees.
My car insurance cost is already very low because of my virtually-flawless driving record since 1970, so you might ask why I take one of these courses every three years.

Well, I enroll in a Defensive Driving course every three years because I do manage to pick-up a new technique each time that I take the course, so it is of value beyond the further reduction in my insurance premiums that result from my enrollment. And, in your case, enrolling in one of these courses should help you to rebuild your self-confidence!

Please give my suggestion some thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 08:33 AM
 
12,088 posts, read 14,648,753 times
Reputation: 7829
[quote=vrexy;53993871]
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

Actually, no you don't. When you move to another state, you get an entirely different license number. And if keeping the same number, you still get a new picture, and a new license, etc. So it's not just one license, no matter how you look at it.
I've wanted them to put a better picture of me on my license. They refused, saying it has to look like me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
25,277 posts, read 60,629,620 times
Reputation: 28008
[quote=vrexy;53993871]
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post

Actually, no you don't. When you move to another state, you get an entirely different license number. And if keeping the same number, you still get a new picture, and a new license, etc. So it's not just one license, no matter how you look at it.
I was surprised by this. I moved form Michigan to California in 1988. Of course I got a new license and number. We moved back to Michigan in 2005. When I eventually traded in my California license in 2007, my Michigan license had the same number as my original.

Although they kept track of the number, they made me show all kinds of different forms of ID to get the license back. I had to give them my CA license and also multiple other forms of other id. Some had to be from one list and others had to be from another list. Because our records were still packed in boxes, I had a hard time finding the things on the second list. Finally my mother came across my old driver's ed completion certificate from 1978. This was on the list! Hooray. Nope. They said it was too old.Nothing on the list said it had to be current, but they would not accept it. Search some more. I found some old yearbooks. One of the items on the list was a yearbook with your name and picture in it. I took in the yearbook I found. That was fine and I got my new license. It was a 1976 middle school yearbook and the picture does not even vaguely resemble what I look like now (not surprising given I was 13 in the picture). Still a 1976 yearbook picture was fine. A 1978 drivers ed certificate was too old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,227 posts, read 865,092 times
Reputation: 2642
[quote=Coldjensens;53995100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post

I was surprised by this. I moved form Michigan to California in 1988. Of course I got a new license and number. We moved back to Michigan in 2005. When I eventually traded in my California license in 2007, my Michigan license had the same number as my original.

Although they kept track of the number, they made me show all kinds of different forms of ID to get the license back. I had to give them my CA license and also multiple other forms of other id. Some had to be from one list and others had to be from another list. Because our records were still packed in boxes, I had a hard time finding the things on the second list. Finally my mother came across my old driver's ed completion certificate from 1978. This was on the list! Hooray. Nope. They said it was too old.Nothing on the list said it had to be current, but they would not accept it. Search some more. I found some old yearbooks. One of the items on the list was a yearbook with your name and picture in it. I took in the yearbook I found. That was fine and I got my new license. It was a 1976 middle school yearbook and the picture does not even vaguely resemble what I look like now (not surprising given I was 13 in the picture). Still a 1976 yearbook picture was fine. A 1978 drivers ed certificate was too old.
Yep they want to see a picture of you that’s all to make sure you say who you are. And for a woman only the first 3 didgets change because of marriage. So say you’re last name is smith and a woman gets married to a Jones the first letter in your drivers license changes to a J from a S. But the rest of the numbers stay the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
1,928 posts, read 2,494,373 times
Reputation: 3430
[quote=easy62;53995315]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Yep they want to see a picture of you that’s all to make sure you say who you are.
I'm not sure how you quoted that last post you were replying to. The way it looks is as if I posted that, but I didn't. I was not the one who said all those things about the yearbook, etc.

I do think it's very bizarre that a state won't recognize the ID THEY gave you as valid proof of identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2018, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,707 posts, read 19,258,629 times
Reputation: 7319
I have lived in four states. Three of them all used the same license number. The fourth, Virginia, issued a different number. I am in Virginia for the second time. The first time, they used my SS number. When I moved to another state I got the old number back. When we came back to Virginia they were using different numbers rather than SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top