Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times

Advertisements

OP.

I like driving if I’m driving a car I like and it’s on a nice backroad, lots of curves and dips. I have a fun roadster that goes out for nothing but that and some car shows and cruise ins. I hate being stuck in traffic and fighting congestion. Driving is no fun then.

Sorry to hear about what ever ailment you have that prevents you from driving effectively. I’m 70. So far my driving skills are still good but you’re right that it’s a serious safety concern when they start deteriorating. I’ll miss driving when that time comes for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 11:26 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
You convinced me,
I'm walking to work starting tomorrow

Old 12-28-2018, 02:22 PM

949 posts, read 571,918 times
I enjoy driving, but most do not. That usually just puts them in the way. It is challenging for me to live where there is tremendous human growth. I will be away from that soon though. Retirement is right around the corner.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:49 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You convinced me,
I'm walking to work starting tomorrow
It's really not such a bad idea. After discussing all my equally awful options with the body shop, my vehicle, although not a total loss, basically would have been if I had it shipped back home or spent more money than I originally planned on hotel bills waiting to have it repaired properly here in SC. I decided to sell it to a salvage yard. We are taking the rental back and will then be down to one car. I'll try foregoing driving for a while. We'll see how it goes (or doesn't go). I can always resume driving later if it doesn't work well for our family.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:21 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
I have problems with memory that have lead to a total inability to get from point A to point B EVEN IF I have been going to point B for YEARS. I cannot travel at all without a GPS. There are one or two places I can get to from other specific locations, but not a single one of them can I get BACK to point A once I get to Point B.

So I drive with a GPS. Because I have to pay attention to the GPS I know that degrades the amount of attention I have for the road (so does driving with the radio on even for "normal" people). So I take routes that are less well-traveled even when it is a longer route and takes more time getting there, wherever "there" happens to be at the moment. I have a routine that I stick to pre- and post-driving. I stay off the roads during rush-hour, avoid the highway especially at such times, and minimize having to drive after dark. I combine errands so I only have to go out once a week most of the time. I have a routine for the errands I run, too.

And I realize that I won't be driving for as long as other people might and accept that eventually I WILL have to give up the license.

HOWEVER. I seriously considered giving the license up now as I qualify for Senior/disability transport and would have to make 100 trips before it even hits what I have to spend on insurance alone.

The thing that ultimately stopped me dead in my tracks is the loss of flexibility. If I have to rely on public transport (I have no SO to drive me around) I would be tied to THEIR schedule, couildn't run a spur-of-the-moment errand at all (say I needed to get to a doctor), and forget stacking errands. The elder/disabled transport isn't going to sit out front of the grocery store waiting for you. You have to pre-schedule the pick-up time at both ends. So you either end up rushing to meet the bus or sitting around (where there probably aren't even any benches or seats) for long periods of time waiting for them to come get you. Also risking them forgetting you and being stuck somewhere $50 or more (cab fare) away from home.

And no, I'm not doing Uber. For one thing I won't have a data phone (as in REFUSE to have) and for another, I'm not going to support a transportation service that is run like a coal mine. Not to mention the problems with un/improperly vetted Uber drivers. Thanks anyway.

At any rate, I can't really afford to rely on taxis and I'm not willing to give up the flexibility of having my own car - YET. I know I'll have to eventually but I, for one, am putting that off for as long as possible.

I understand YOUR motivation, but I haven't had anything even approaching a fender-bender (that was caused by me, I did get rear-ended at a red light a few years ago). I do plan to stop driving before that becomes an issue, but so far, it is not, and even though (given how little I drive and the very few places I normally go to) I would probably save a not-insignificant amount of money by giving up my car and all the attendant expenses, it is simply too hard to get around in the USA without a personal vehicle. I would see far less of my friends because I live so far from them all, having them come and get me would be unreasonable. I couldn't go to spontaneous meetings because you usually have to schedule with elder/disabled transport at least 2 days in advance, sometimes more. And all my errands would become more difficult because of externally applied time constraints around having to schedule pickup times.

Self-driving cars would solve all these issues. Sure hope they have them before I have to give up my car.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:41 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
If you can't drive safely, don't drive and put others in danger.
Also "still young"... 40 something years old, lol. C'mon man, accept middle age.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:43 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's really not such a bad idea.
It's not a possible option for many.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:50 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
yes go but a cheap 90's Honda Civic, Mazda Miata or mid'90's Ford Mustang GT or 3rd or 4th gen F-0body and take it to some SSCA racing events and track days and have some fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfR4QfmwTAc

Last edited by GTOlover; 12-31-2018 at 02:05 AM..

Old 12-31-2018, 07:26 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Scooby, why not get evaluated by a driving school to have their professional opinion whether you are safer to drive or need some modifications to a car to make driving safer?

Old 12-31-2018, 02:14 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Nope. Nothing allows me the freedom of movement at any time that my vehicle offers me. Nothing. I don't even want to live anywhere there is public transportation. I consider it a negative.
Typical baby boomer mentality (and I should know being part of that cohort) - it’s all about me and I don’t want it to be possible for others to even have the option to live their lives in a different way. Let me guess, you’ll never stop driving no matter how poor your abilities become. But if the DMV forces the issue someday you’d better hope there are good self-driving cars around or that the next generations have a more charitable attitude about public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive