U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:52 AM
Status: "If it ain't broke, update it until it is." (set 22 days ago)

13,572 posts, read 7,681,488 times

Advertisements

I know most of us will instinctively say, "Yes!" But I had a moment of clarity when I had a car wreck that was my fault a couple of days ago. I feel awful about it. I scared the other driver to death and my wife was in the car as well. No one was hurt, but I damaged the other lady's car and my vehicle is likely a total loss since I had liability only. I'm still young (early 40s,) but my wife doesn't want me driving anymore.

My first instinct was to say, "Hell no! No one will ever take my keys away!" But the more I thought about it, the better not driving sounded. Driving will be so expensive for me now. I completely deserve what I got but I don't think I can afford it after this.

I got a ticket, my insurance rates will be ridiculous, I have to pay the deductible to repair the young lady's car I damaged, and I will have to buy a new car after my old one was paid off.

I also have medical conditions that make driving more difficult than for other drivers. Ultimately we decided I would stop driving, which although it is a strange decision for a young 41 year old, it actually makes me happy. I want everyone to be safe, and my wife is happy to drive me around. If she can't, Uber can pick up the slack

Besides, I always hated driving. It made me nervous and frustrated and not being able to predict the actions of other drivers made me anxious. So I tried to keep it to a minimum. I don't have a regular job so I sometimes didn't drive for a week or more anyway.

Many people say they love driving, but is that really true? When you ride with them, they often complain about how expensive their cars are, how lousy other people drive, what a pain their insurance company is, the price of gas, etc. . . Do you like to drive? Or do you just like the freedom driving gives you? Is driving worth it you? Would you stop driving if you had reliable alternatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:58 AM

9,780 posts, read 7,599,891 times
You don't need internet strangers to validate or justify your decision to not drive. Do what works for you.

Old Today, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You don't need internet strangers to validate or justify your decision to not drive. Do what works for you.
Oh, but I do. That is the beauty of C-D, strangers asking other strangers for their opinion on personal decisions in their lives Seriously, in my last paragraph, I asked, "Is driving worth it to you? Do you like the process or do you just like the freedom it gives you?"

Old Today, 08:11 AM

9,780 posts, read 7,599,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh, but I do. That is the beauty of C-D, strangers asking other strangers for their opinion on personal decisions in their lives Seriously, in my last paragraph, I asked, "Is driving worth it to you? Do you like the process or do you just like the freedom it gives you?"
It sounds like you want validation and assurance. That's different than opinions. Of course, most people are going to affirm their decision to keep driving. I have access to reliable public transportation and Uber. I still plan on driving. Yes, it's worth it to me.

Old Today, 08:26 AM

13,851 posts, read 29,902,204 times
Yes, I like driving. Sometimes I’ll get out and drive even when I have no particular place to go. I like being able to get out of the house and go places without depending on someone else to take me there.

If I lived in an urban area I might feel differently, but probably 75% of my driving is rural.

Old Today, 08:32 AM

3,380 posts, read 5,417,245 times
Quote:
Yes, having the freedom to go where I want, when I want is worth it to me. With that being said, and as someone who experiences serious intermittent health problems that screw with my mobility I would much rather NOT deal with driving during those periods. There is no fun in it at all for me when it becomes a struggle. Not driving may be an inconvience but you having a supportive spouse who is willing to pick up the slack is an absolute gift.

I'm in my late 40s...it's scary and it sucks.

Old Today, 08:35 AM

1,002 posts, read 314,153 times
Sometimes I like driving, sometimes I don't. I love driving back country roads with little traffic, I don't mind driving on the highway when traffic is flowing smoothly. I don't enjoy sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, occasionally letting my foot off the brake so I can roll forward 10 feet before I have to stop again.

Old Today, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Yes, having the freedom to go where I want, when I want is worth it to me. With that being said, and as someone who experiences serious intermittent health problems that screw with my mobility I would much rather NOT deal with driving during those periods. There is no fun in it at all for me when it becomes a struggle. Not driving may be an inconvience but you having a supportive spouse who is willing to pick up the slack is an absolute gift.

I'm in my late 40s...it's scary and it sucks.
I totally get that. It's wonderful to have the freedom to go wherever we want but driving requires every ounce of concentration and some ability to move in order to see what we need to. I was very happy when my wife said she would take me. It's wonderful to have someone who is willing to support you that way. But it's also about the safety of those around us as well as ourselves. I never want this to happen again.

Old Today, 08:54 AM

11,227 posts, read 9,280,395 times
Where I live it would be impossible for me to give up driving until I moved closer to work so I could bike/walk to work.

By all means, if you can find a way to make it work, go for it.

I do find it a bit odd that your wife doesn't want a 40 something yr old person driving after one wreck in which no one was injured. You must have done something really crazy and reckless. lol

Old Today, 09:20 AM

13,576 posts, read 14,623,972 times
Quote:
........ I asked, "Is driving worth it to you? Do you like the process or do you just like the freedom it gives you?"
I love driving and just going for aimless, destination-less rides with my wife (we own five vehicles )

As far as the freedom, I prefer moving about on my own timetable, not one that's been established by a transit authority.

I do realize, however, that where one lives can be a big factor when it comes to enjoying driving.

When I commuted in heavy traffic I just accepted it as being it is what it is.

Given your described level of anxiety you have when driving on public roads I think you should hand over the keys to your wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive